Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #241
Tyler12
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I use wooden chop stix/wooden kaboob skewers for the pci-e release much easier that way =)
Tyler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #242
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler12 View Post
I use wooden chop stix/wooden kaboob skewers for the pci-e release much easier that way =)
^This is the pro move.

I used to use a Robertson screwdriver until I almost scraped a cap off an old mobo and now I use a chopstick.

The worst card I ever had for this was my old ASUS GTX 580 DirectCUII 3-slot behemoth with a rear-plate that made pushing any tab near impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #243
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Building a new computer at the end of the month, as a friend is offering me a few new parts on a nice discount (and will list those with a * beside them). Would appreciate some advice or suggestions on a few parts though!

Case: I don't actually know? A mid-tower with no windows is preferred. I figured I would just pick whatever is on sale at the time but if there any suggestions for good air flow I'll take them!

CPU*: i5-6600K - 3.5 GHz, 6 MB Cache
CPU cooling: I've been told this thing can hit around 4.4 GHz with air cooling with no issues, so I'd be fine with a standard CPU fan for like $30.

Motherboard*: Asus Z-170P - DDR4 2133

RAM*: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4 2133

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB with 64 MB cache (I already own this, so I figured this will suffice for secondary storage for now)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Turbo Series 6GB (There are so many 1060 models that I have no idea which is actually worth getting!)

Power Supply: Corsair CS Series 650W Modular (I would hope 650 is enough - but I'm not sure how to know.)

Thoughts?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #244
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Building a new computer at the end of the month, as a friend is offering me a few new parts on a nice discount (and will list those with a * beside them). Would appreciate some advice or suggestions on a few parts though!

Case: I don't actually know? A mid-tower with no windows is preferred. I figured I would just pick whatever is on sale at the time but if there any suggestions for good air flow I'll take them!

CPU*: i5-6600K - 3.5 GHz, 6 MB Cache
CPU cooling: I've been told this thing can hit around 4.4 GHz with air cooling with no issues, so I'd be fine with a standard CPU fan for like $30.

Motherboard*: Asus Z-170P - DDR4 2133

RAM*: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4 2133

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB with 64 MB cache (I already own this, so I figured this will suffice for secondary storage for now)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Turbo Series 6GB (There are so many 1060 models that I have no idea which is actually worth getting!)

Power Supply: Corsair CS Series 650W Modular (I would hope 650 is enough - but I'm not sure how to know.)

Thoughts?
Looks good!

For a non-windowed Case, I'm always partial to Corsair's low to mid-level lines (200r-500r) for affordable air-cooling. The 500r in particular has lots of room to move, good grommet placement, sliding/removable bays, closed loop ready, and comes with 1x200mm & 3x120mm plus a fan controller built in. The 200r is about half the price but smaller/crampier, and uses 2x120mms on the side (not included) instead of a much quieter 200mm, however it is still great to work with for a sub-$80 case and has a surprising amount of features for its pricepoint.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #245
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You're good with 650W. Components are a lot more efficient these days when it comes to power consumption.

As for the 1060's, the only thing I really cared about when picking one for mine was noise levels. I like the Asus brand, but I found a good deal on the MSI version.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #246
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Hell, it has a 10%/15% physical overclock switch (much like 90s era clock multipliers) on the board itself, so as long as you have XMP enabled RAM (you do!) you can just flick that thing to 15% and enjoy not having to tweak your voltages/timings/multipliers etc. but still get use out of that "k".
Tried to do this last night but my BIOS doesn't seem to recognize my RAM as having an XMP module. That said, the mobo comes with "OC Genie" and I just turned that on and it boosted the CPU by 15%.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #247
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strange. Maybe I googled the RAM type incorrectly (possible).

As a side note, I'd recommend running CPU-Z when running a full CPU load (Prime95 on Blended or something, probs not FFT) and jotting down what voltage the OC Genie set it to. Nowadays auto-overclockers are pretty good about not jacking up your voltage to crazytown but you can never be too careful.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #248
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Strange. Maybe I googled the RAM type incorrectly (possible).

As a side note, I'd recommend running CPU-Z when running a full CPU load (Prime95 on Blended or something, probs not FFT) and jotting down what voltage the OC Genie set it to. Nowadays auto-overclockers are pretty good about not jacking up your voltage to crazytown but you can never be too careful.
Yeah, I think you might have been looking at the previous RAM I had selected. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Something that's driving me nuts is the one cable I have that's kind of slung over my GPU in the picture there. That's for the lighting in the case. It's not touching anything that's going to cause performance issues or anything, just not aesthetically pleasing, but I don't think I can get at it without taking out the GPU again and I don't want to risk ripping out another PCI. I actually haven't bothered to tie off many of the cables because there's a tonne of space in the case and they're mostly hanging out of the way but I might get to it at some point.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:16 PM   #249
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Looks good!

For a non-windowed Case, I'm always partial to Corsair's low to mid-level lines (200r-500r) for affordable air-cooling. The 500r in particular has lots of room to move, good grommet placement, sliding/removable bays, closed loop ready, and comes with 1x200mm & 3x120mm plus a fan controller built in. The 200r is about half the price but smaller/crampier, and uses 2x120mms on the side (not included) instead of a much quieter 200mm, however it is still great to work with for a sub-$80 case and has a surprising amount of features for its pricepoint.
So I was at MemEx today finding out info on assembly (the guy who has built all my past computers isn't available ) and they don't have the 500r case and didn't recommend the 200r as it could pretty tight with the mobo and video card I'm looking at. They suggested I use the Fractal Define R5 (Titanium) case instead, which seems pretty good from my quick google searches. Any thoughts on this? The only thing I'm not super keen on at first glance is having the front USBs and headset plugs on top rather than the front panel.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #250
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
So I was at MemEx today finding out info on assembly (the guy who has built all my past computers isn't available ) and they don't have the 500r case and didn't recommend the 200r as it could pretty tight with the mobo and video card I'm looking at. They suggested I use the Fractal Define R5 (Titanium) case instead, which seems pretty good from my quick google searches. Any thoughts on this? The only thing I'm not super keen on at first glance is having the front USBs and headset plugs on top rather than the front panel.
I don't have one yet but my next build will most likely be in an R5 or a Define S. I've heard nothing but good things about them and I honestly like the simplistic design. The R5 is suppose to have nice sound dampening material. I wouldn't necessarily go with the Titanium since the Black is on sale right now ($124 vs $150 both non-windowed).

The Define S is basically the same as the R5 except they've completely removed the drive trays at the front. It has 5 hard drive mounts behind the motherboard. This is nice for water cooling or for just opening up air-flow in the case. The only downside is that you lose the option of installing optical drives if that is something you want. Non-windowed version is $120 and I've seen it as low as $90-100.

The other case I might consider would be the Corsair C70. The Gunmetal Black version is on for $140 and they are supposed to have nice air-flow but it does have a window.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 01-23-2017 at 11:11 PM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 PM   #251
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I don't have one yet but my next build will most likely be in an R5 or a Define S. I've heard nothing but good things about them and I honestly like the simplistic design. The R5 is suppose to have nice sound dampening material. I wouldn't necessarily go with the Titanium since the Black is on sale right now ($124 vs $150 both non-windowed).

The Define S is basically the same as the R5 except they've completely removed the drive trays at the front. It has 5 hard drive mounts behind the motherboard. This is nice for water cooling or for just opening up air-flow in the case. The only downside is that you lose the option of installing optical drives if that is something you want. Non-windowed version is $120 and I've seen it as low as $90-100.

The other case I might consider would be the Corsair C70. The Gunmetal Black version is on for $140 and they are supposed to have nice air-flow but it does have a window.
Wow, the case was not on sale earlier today. Great timing! Will definitely grab it.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #252
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #253
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone here have any experience with the Steam controller? I'm realizing how awkward and straining it is to try and couch game with a keyboard and mouse, and I don't really want to shell out for a lapboard.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #254
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard it's good, and universally accepted, but feels a bit less "robust" compared to the XBOX 360/One PC controllers, which are also universally accepted (and most games that have a console port even have the color coding built in).

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 07:16 PM   #255
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the one advantage I've heard about the Steam controller vs the Xbox controller is that Steam's trackpad and gyroscope makes it more accurate for FPS. I get that it's never going to be as accurate as a mouse, but I've also never been an amazing FPS player, so I think I'm okay with sacrificing a bit of accuracy for more comfort.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #256
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, the one advantage I've heard about the Steam controller vs the Xbox controller is that Steam's trackpad and gyroscope makes it more accurate for FPS. I get that it's never going to be as accurate as a mouse, but I've also never been an amazing FPS player, so I think I'm okay with sacrificing a bit of accuracy for more comfort.
I use an xbox controller with usb dongle to play games like shadow of mordor or GTA, it works just as well as you want it to.

You're going to have some problems trying to play FPS games on your TV though. I haven't used the steam controller so I'm just talking out of my ass here but I have a hard time thinking it could compete with keyboard and mouse which is what everyone who will be killing you will be using.

Racing in GTA with the xbox controller is really fun though.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #257
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was also thinking the trackpad would be good for games like Civ and Total War, and those are definitely the types of games I play the most. My wireless mouse works on my armrest but it's not ideal. For GTA and the like, I figure I'll just connect one of my PS4 controllers.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:14 PM   #258
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guess I could also give an update on my PC. Haven't done a tonne of gaming on it but the 480 seems to be doing its job. Played a mission on BF1 last night on ultra settings at 1920x1080 and had no real issues. There was some minor stuttering on the cutscenes but that's apparently a known issue with the game. Gameplay itself was silky smooth. Also played a bit of Civ 6 on ultra and don't have any complaints with the performance on that either.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #259
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Anyone here have any experience with the Steam controller? I'm realizing how awkward and straining it is to try and couch game with a keyboard and mouse, and I don't really want to shell out for a lapboard.
It is very weird and very hard to get used to. I bought one when they were on sale during Black Friday. I tried to play X-Com 2 with it and it was...okay. I'm just really used to console games and console controllers. I was thinking about playing Civ 5 on my TV but I'll just buy that fancy HP Omen X 35 monitor and that'll be good enough.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #260
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
The soon to be launched GTX 1050 series might be a good option for you, similar power usage with performance 50-80% higher.

Does your XPS have the 475W power supply; I'd think that would be perfectly adequate for a video card in the range of the Nvidia GTX 1060/AMD Radeon RX 470 even.
Yes it has a 475W PSU.

I really only want to play WOW and right now it's taking forever to load. My Frame rates aren't terrible in game, it only clips when raid boss fights get crazy.

Would upping the RAM from 6GB help with that? The X58 motherboard can handle up to 24GB of DDR3.