Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Want a new smartphone, but still under contract

Any of the CP braintrust help me out?

I'm on contract with Telus Mobility for another 6 or so months...but I want to upgrade to an Iphone.

I have offers on my account for discounts off smartphones. However, these so called "offers" are no better or sometimes worse than what a new customer would get. I still have to sign a 3 year deal for the discount as well. In the case of the iphone I would be signing a new contract and the phone would still be more expensive than it would for a new customer.

Whats the best way to negotiate a discount on a new phone if still under contract? I don't feel I should have to pay an arm and a leg for a new phone since new customers can get them cheaper.

Any advice?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

threaten to cancel to customer retentions

tell them you wanted to HUP to iPhone but other companies are cheaper for new customers

they should offer it for the same price if not a bit cheaper
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy I work with gets a shiny new Blackberry every year by signing new 3-year contracts. He just whines and threatens - just by-pass the initial customer service rep and go right to the manager. The longer you've been with them, and bigger plan you have, the more clout you carry obviously.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Call 611 on your phone and ask the first rep "What do I need to do to ensure my number is ported correctly to Rogers"
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yep. With only 6 months left on your contract, you're looking at a measly $120 to cancel. You have them right where you want them. Just phone them up and tell them about all the wonderful things that Rogers and/or Bell are wiling to do for you.

Don't waste your time talking to the person who answers the first time though. Just tell them you want to cancel and they'll transfer you to Retentions, where the real magic happens.

Also, don't be afraid to follow through with the cancellation if they don't give you what you want. You might even want to call Rogers or Bell to see what they would offer you to jump ship to them. Just tell them you only have 6 months left on your contract with Telus and you want to know if they will do anything to entice you to give them your business. Then you give Telus a chance to BEAT (not match) that.

It's not a scam, it's just smart shopping. It's no different than buying your vegetables at whichever grocery store is cheapest. Think of it as a product, not a service.

Last edited by FanIn80; 12-04-2009 at 12:31 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

With 6 months left, shouldn't you be eligible for an upgrade without penalty? My contract is up in August/2010 but I can renew my contract in Feb and get a new phone.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the advice guys..you know, I've been with Telus ever since I've had a cell phone...around 10-11 years. I've never even considered switching carriers for some reason. Maybe I should take a look at what Bell or Rogers can give me. Seems obvious but that hasn't even crossed my mind.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the same boat. My contract is up in July or August. The only reason I stay with telus is the superior network through the mountains to BC. I'll try and strong arm them into a new iphone 3GS and post my results here.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I'm in the same boat. My contract is up in July or August. The only reason I stay with telus is the superior network through the mountains to BC. I'll try and strong arm them into a new iphone 3GS and post my results here.
Honestly, you shouldn't have to strong arm anyone. I'm sure they will at the very least offer to tear up your current contract, waive the cancellation fee, start a new one for you and give you $200 off any smart phone no contract price. Or, wait until you are within 6 month of your contract being up and just re-new it as though you had completed all 3 yrs of your original contract.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #10
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have 13 months left on my two phones. I called telus and they told me that I have to wait until I have 6 months left otherwise I only get a smaller discount.

I haven't called back yet, but I'll try one more time and I am pretty sure they will give in. Depends who you talk to, so just ask for a manager callback and they will make you happy.

My dilema is that telus doesnt allow data sharing so I might end up paying them out and going with rogers. Plus I am undicided if I want the BB Bold 9000 or the new 9700. Telus doesn't carry the 9000.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

With 6 months left Telus will give every client the new customer price.

With less than 12 months, but more than 6 you're eligible for the new customer price, but apparently it depends on how much you spend per month. Although I'm sure if you are just slightly over 6 months like you said and have been a client for 10+ years they'd find a way to make an exception if you asked.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Telus lets us renew contracts with 6 months left on them all of the time at work. Mind you, we do have several hundred BlackBerry's, but still. The contract is god to the carriers, and they will bend over backwards to get your renewal. I have a contact at TAC Mobility that may be able to help you out. PM me of you want his contact info.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Telus will always give you new customer pricing with 6 months or less left on your contract.

If you're thinking of switching to Bell, they aren't nearly as generous as Telus with their offers. My girlfriend is with Bell and has 14 months left on her contract. They aren't offering her a cent off a new phone until 9 months left and then it's only $100. Meanwhile I just got a new phone and new contract with Telus - I had 17 months left on my contract and got $200 off a new phone. Basically with Bell once you sign a 3-year contract you're stuck for 3 years it seems.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #14
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
Telus will always give you new customer pricing with 6 months or less left on your contract.

If you're thinking of switching to Bell, they aren't nearly as generous as Telus with their offers. My girlfriend is with Bell and has 14 months left on her contract. They aren't offering her a cent off a new phone until 9 months left and then it's only $100. Meanwhile I just got a new phone and new contract with Telus - I had 17 months left on my contract and got $200 off a new phone. Basically with Bell once you sign a 3-year contract you're stuck for 3 years it seems.
Damnit that sucks, my BB just broke recently and I was hoping to get a replacement from them but they said I'm not eligible for a hardware upgrade for another year.
FlamesPuck12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I ended up getting an iphone. They gave me the promotional pricing ($299 for a 32 gb 3gs), and let me keep my old plan with some additional bonuses. My old plan is a lot better than the plans being offered with the iphone now, so I'm glad about that.

BTW, this iphone thing is just fantastic. I'm glad I got it.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just got off the phone with Telus...this is the third time I've talked to them about the fact that the phone I currently have sucks and that I want to upgrade to a BB. Best offer they'll give me is $200 off the handset, which still makes the phone I'd want $350...$230 if I settle for a lesser phone. Otherwise is $150 off the price of a regular non-smart phone. The fact that I've been a customer with them for 10 years apparently means nothing, and the fact that I always renew with a 2 or 3 year contract also doesn't matter. Seriously considering paying my contract out and going with Rogers. Might cost me more initially, but Telus has really ticked me off.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
I just got off the phone with Telus...this is the third time I've talked to them about the fact that the phone I currently have sucks and that I want to upgrade to a BB. Best offer they'll give me is $200 off the handset, which still makes the phone I'd want $350...$230 if I settle for a lesser phone. Otherwise is $150 off the price of a regular non-smart phone. The fact that I've been a customer with them for 10 years apparently means nothing, and the fact that I always renew with a 2 or 3 year contract also doesn't matter. Seriously considering paying my contract out and going with Rogers. Might cost me more initially, but Telus has really ticked me off.
Make sure your speaking to retentions, not a normal CSR.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #18
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Make sure your speaking to retentions, not a normal CSR.
Yeah, I made sure I asked for cancellations when the first CSR came on the line...from there she transfered me and I specifically asked the guy what department he was in, he said rententions. Didn't do me much good because he had the same sort of attitude as the other CSRs that I've spoken with. It was a "here's the offer, if you don't like it, oh well." All he was really interested in was telling me that their phones are better than Rogers and that I'd end up paying more through Rogers versus them.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #19
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
What are you expecting exactly?

You signed a contract for a phone, you dont like your phone, you want a better phone, they offer you $200 off - i assume that is non contract price. That doesnt seem like a terrible deal. Those phones non contract are crazy prices. Look at unlocked new Nokias for a price comparison.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #20
Flash
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
What are you expecting exactly?

You signed a contract for a phone, you dont like your phone, you want a better phone, they offer you $200 off - i assume that is non contract price. That doesnt seem like a terrible deal. Those phones non contract are crazy prices. Look at unlocked new Nokias for a price comparison.
What I'm expecting is a phone that actually works. It's not even that I don't like the phone I've currently got, it's that it doesn't work anymore. Taking it in didn't help, they're not willing to trade it in for anything, not even a free phone. It would be nice if they stood behind the equipment that they originally sold me.

Tags
cheap , iphone , scams , telus , unfair