Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 08:42 PM   #16461
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I still think they go hard after Eichel. They have all the pieces to do so, that's for sure.
Wouldn’t shock me one bit. Outside of Krebs I am not sure they have the young pieces Buffalo is after. I think it is the Rangers, Kings or Wild for Eichel. Vegas is the dark horse team though who seem to get whoever they want.

Also wouldn’t be the craziest thing to see Nolan Patrick have a Bennett like new team burst next year because if they do nothing he may have a golden opportunity
Old 07-24-2021, 08:50 PM   #16462
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup and that's fair.

I still believe though, that Sutter and BT have agreed that at least one large change has to happen after DS got those 20 or so games to evaluate what guys do what on the ice and how they practice etc.

I cant believe that even he thinks he can do damage with the roster that has shown it cannot do anything of consequence year after year.

Still need a major shke up and it will still happen before UFA IMO.

Or I am completely reading the tea leaves wrong which would not be a first.

Oh ya I am not pleased with the lack of tangible change to the roster. The draft is the time to get things done and many teams did. I wanted change last year and settled with the Brodie-Tanev free agent swap and finally solidifying the net long term with Markstrom. I will not settle with Edler replacing Gio and Coleman coming in at what is almost certainly going to be an overpay to bring veteran leadership.

I want Gaudreau settled and I would like to see transformational type deal similar to the Carolina blockbuster. I fear it could be Tkachuk as he likely brings back the biggest return.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #16463
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
They are reportedly also in the market for a top 6 center. Vegas is likely one of the only teams and likely the only contender where I think Monahan would be the number 1 C

They aren’t targeting Monny as their #1 centre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #16464
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Wouldn’t shock me one bit. Outside of Krebs I am not sure they have the young pieces Buffalo is after. I think it is the Rangers, Kings or Wild for Eichel. Vegas is the dark horse team though who seem to get whoever they want.

Also wouldn’t be the craziest thing to see Nolan Patrick have a Bennett like new team burst next year because if they do nothing he may have a golden opportunity
I was looking earlier

Tuch, Krebs, Cormier, and a 1st is what I came up with....may not be enough.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:14 PM   #16465
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I want to see what this team does with a full season under Sutter with everything back to normal before I pull the plug.

I think a lot went wrong for this team last year and I don’t think they are as bad as their record. People like to talk about how they got pumped by the 8th seed Colorado but that was an emerging superpower who added one of the best young Dman in the game during that series. Flames didn’t deserve to win but end of the day that team coughed up 2 late 3rd period leads and also missed on chances in both overtimes in games that ended as losses.

The Flames were the 7th best team in the league after Peters left the bench in 2019/2020. They had the Stars 12 seconds away from being up 3-1 but choked.

Last year just went poorly from the get go. Ward was in over his head and seemed to lose all control early in the season. The way he handled the Bennett situation, the multiple players only meetings, the Tkachuk situation. He just couldn’t manage it. Sutter came in and the team was in the dumps for a 9 game stretch that ended their season. Towards the end of the year positives could be viewed as the new top line started to look pretty dynamic at times.

I think Gaudreau, Lindholm and Tkachuk are exceptional players. I think Mangiapane is going to emerge as an equally valuable piece this year. I like some of the youth on the back end but there is a hole to fill there. This team needs another scoring winger as well. I am optimistic that Markstrom will have a superior season next year as he plays in front of the C or Red.

I just want to see what this team does under normal circumstances with Sutter behind the bench. If they are brutal than I have seen enough but I am sorry losing to Colorado, the Peters/bubble, and the CFL style season are not convincing me this needs to start from scratch. I am not convinced it doesn’t go down that path I am just not ready to do it yet.

My opinion is that Peters was a bad coach. He didn't have an answer to for what Colorado were doing, and it was plain to see that they went after the Hanifin-Hamonic pairing as much as possible. Gio-Brodie held their own against MacKinnon's line. Hanifin-Hamonic got eaten alive. Gaudreau got triple-teamed, but Peters still decided to run Backlund OR Brodie vs MacKinnon.

Team got rattled, and Peters wasn't able to pull them out of it either. Sutter would have settled that team down, and got them to defend better against MacKinnon's line, and also split-up that 2nd pairing.

I still think this team CAN make some noise, but I also see a big chunk of the D gone now in Giordano-Brodie, and overall this D can't generate enough offence to be a contender. The Gaudreau-Tkachuk contract situation is unsettling to me as well, which is why I vote for a rebuild.

However, like I mentioned about Sutter, I am A-OK with going for it again next season with Sutter. This defence can't score enough, AND they haven't been defensively sound enough either. I do think that Sutter can (and probably will!) correct the defensive issues. That might be enough.

It seems to me that Calgary is trying to get a bit bigger and grittier too, which I think is another weakness.

I believe that Gaudreau is a top 10 talent in the league, but needs to play that fast game that this team hasn't played, but will be playing under Sutter. I bet he will finish ~ top top in points, give or take a couple of spots.

I hope Treliving is able to find the right players that can click on this team, then things get interesting.

In the end, I think a rebuild is a good move right now. However, it is also not guaranteed to result in something better. I think the Flames draft well, and you can win without drafting a generational franchise player.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #16466
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still think they go hard after Eichel. They have all the pieces to do so, that's for sure.
How would they make that work cap wise? They have like $5M in cap space with only 12 forwards and 5 D men signed.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:10 PM   #16467
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going back to the last credible rumour, it is hard to trade in division, but Calgary and Vegas do potentially line up for a win/win scenario. Calgary is in need of a top six RW and Vegas covets cap space. They are in winnow mode, and after picking up Nolan and Howden, with Krebs pushing, they can move some bodies to accommodate. If I were Calgary, I'd be looking at that strong secondary level of prospects that the Knights have amassed, as an incentive to take on the cap.

Marchessault and Dugan

for

Gawdin and Phillips

That gives Calgary a second line RW and a third line LW, while moving 5M in cap for Vegas and letting then try out two AHL all-stars. Sure, Gio's cap savings would be gone, but it would solve a few problems that the Flames have and also soften any trade involving Tkachuk or Gaudreau.

(I think Vegas goes hard after Landeskog)
Old 07-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #16468
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Going back to the last credible rumour, it is hard to trade in division, but Calgary and Vegas do potentially line up for a win/win scenario. Calgary is in need of a top six RW and Vegas covets cap space. They are in winnow mode, and after picking up Nolan and Howden, with Krebs pushing, they can move some bodies to accommodate. If I were Calgary, I'd be looking at that strong secondary level of prospects that the Knights have amassed, as an incentive to take on the cap.

Marchessault and Dugan

for

Gawdin and Phillips

That gives Calgary a second line RW and a third line LW, while moving 5M in cap for Vegas and letting then try out two AHL all-stars. Sure, Gio's cap savings would be gone, but it would solve a few problems that the Flames have and also soften any trade involving Tkachuk or Gaudreau.

Change Marchessault to Alex Tuch. Alex Tuch is the big strong skating winger with skill we need.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sofa GM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #16469
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Marchessault and Dugan

for

Gawdin and Phillips

Come on. Gawdin and Phillips don’t do a damn thing for Vegas. Both are older prospects that don’t even scratch their top 10 list. The Flames would have to give them a lot more than that. Every team in the league could top that without thinking.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 04:28 PM   #16470
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Come on. Gawdin and Phillips don’t do a damn thing for Vegas. Both are older prospects that don’t even scratch their top 10 list. The Flames would have to give them a lot more than that. Every team in the league could top that without thinking.
100% agree, nice to dream hahaha
Old 07-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #16471
Flamesfan2010
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
How would they make that work cap wise? They have like $5M in cap space with only 12 forwards and 5 D men signed.

They have 20 million in cap space and they would be trading some money out I’m assuming…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2021, 04:32 PM   #16472
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan2010 View Post
They have 20 million in cap space and they would be trading some money out I’m assuming…..

They do? What am I not seeing here?
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/goldenknights
Old 07-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #16473
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emilio-Petterson, Zary, Coronato and Pelletier are likely the only 4 prospects that hold any tangible trade value.

Guys like Mackey, Phillips and Gawdin are dime a dozen tweeners, unless they surprise everyone this season.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #16474
TheSkinner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Not sure what Nashville's appetite to move him now would be after they moved out Ryan Ellis, but Ekholm was reported to be available around the trade deadline last year. Wouldn't mind the Flames targeting him in a trade scenario to shore up the blue line.

Hanafin Tanev
Ekholm Andersson
Valimaki x

No true number 1 defenceman in that group but pretty respectable. Probably still not enough offence from the backend unless Andersson, Hanafin or Valimaki make a jump but I don't think we are getting a true number 1 d-man either via trade or free agency.

Ekholm only has a year left on his current deal and the other major "if" here outside of wether Nashville is interested in moving him and what the cost would be, is what his next contract looks like. He is better than both of Larsson and Oleksiak but also older. 4years at $5M? Maybe he is looking for more?
Old 07-25-2021, 04:45 PM   #16475
Flamesfan2010
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
They do? What am I not seeing here?
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/goldenknights

I thought you were talking about the flames, my bad

Old 07-25-2021, 04:45 PM   #16476
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1419336777110757379

Arizona looking for a package of draft picks and prospects for Dvorak.

Quote:
Dvorak has generated plenty of interest and multiple sources have confirmed the Coyotes and Boston Bruins have discussed a trade involving the 25-year-old centre. It is believed Arizona is looking for a package of draft picks and prospects for Dvorak, who has four-years left on his contract.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #16477
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1419429289552797696
Old 07-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #16478
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The Knights have just over 5M in cap space with 4 more skaters to sign, including Nolan and Janmark. 5M means alot to them, as it does to other teams who are spending first round picks to clear that space. If it feels any better, it's the value of letting Seattle take Gio in the draft, or just under one first and one third (that Tre wouldn't pay).

Personally I would say 5M in space is worth a first. So equivalent to a first, two B prospects (Gawdin and Phillips) for Marchessault and a B prospect (Dugan). There really arn't a lot of teams that could eat that cap. Seattle didn't do too many favours.
Old 07-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #16479
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
If Khaira comes cheap, I’d pick him up for the 4th line.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #16480
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was actually a good decision. Both players are replacement level and aren't worth their QOs. Both will land somewhere on league minimum. I actually like Khaira's compete level, but he is also the kind of player that you push aside for your prospects.