Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 02:32 PM   #2001
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atodaso View Post
Wait. Calgary gives up Gaudreau, Ryan, and picks and recieves what exactly? I'm not familiar with their prospect pool.
Players and picks
Old 10-11-2020, 02:32 PM   #2002
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Sure, if you can land a less expensive 1B goalie but I don't see where we find that.
I think a high end backup like Dell would be enough
Old 10-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #2003
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Players and picks
Like always planned we get Konecy
Old 10-11-2020, 02:34 PM   #2004
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Like always planned we get Konecy
If not Konecny, I like Morgan Frost as one of the prospects.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #2005
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Exactly

I love Rittich

But an 8.75m goalie tandem, I don't know if it's the best spend of money.
That’s a little more than 10% of the cap, for two players at the most important position.

It’s well within reason.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:38 PM   #2006
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Yet as a pro, 1 incident that I've head of and it was sleeping in.
https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/...nders-property

The kid just doesn't get it.

Quote:
This is the difference between white players and players of color, white players are given the opportunity to shed their labels of character issues, players of color aren't unless they are elite.
Ooooh, the race card! Wasn't expecting that one. Ho-Sang's problems are his own. He's been told over-and-over-and-over what he needs to work on, and he continues to thumb his nose at authority. That is a character issue that has sunk many a prospect, black, yellow, white, purple or green. Race isn't the issue here. Ho-Sang being an ####### is the issue here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #2007
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dell's last contract was $1.9M

Rittich is at $2.75M for only one more year.

If you can get Dell at lower than his previous deal then it's worth it to move Rittich for maybe $1M of cap space. Otherwise it might not be worth it.

However, it might be smart to move Rittich anyway since he'll probably leave next UFA season and we can get something back now.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #2008
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Dell's last contract was $1.9M

Rittich is at $2.75M for only one more year.

If you can get Dell at lower than his previous deal then it's worth it to move Rittich for maybe $1M of cap space. It might be smart to move Rittich anyway since he'll probably leave next UFA season and we can get something back now.
Looking at the goalie market, I think Dell could be had at 1m, 1.2m maybe
Old 10-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #2009
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly

I love Rittich

But an 8.75m goalie tandem, I don't know if it's the best spend of money.
The Stars have an 8.25m goalie tandem, worked out fine for them the last couple of years. Considering Rittich is only now entering his prime while Khudobhin is probably exiting his, seems worth the extra 0.5M to me. We don't even know yet whether Markstrom will fit well here with our D core, our forwards, our systems, our goalie coach, etc.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 10-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #2010
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The Stars have an 8.25m goalie tandem, worked out fine for them the last couple of years. Considering Rittich is only now entering his prime while Khudobhin is probably exiting his, seems worth the extra 0.5M to me. We don't even know yet whether Markstrom will fit well here with our D core, our forwards, our systems, our goalie coach, etc.
They also don't have the cap crunch we do

I love Rittich, I'm just spitballing ideas to save some cap
Old 10-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #2011
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looking at the goalie market, I think Dell could be had at 1m, 1.2m maybe
We do have the benefit of knowing that his spot in San Jose is gone. He's also from Airdrie. Would be smart to table him a cheap offer and wait him out.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #2012
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

Ooooh, the race card! Wasn't expecting that one. Ho-Sang's problems are his own. He's been told over-and-over-and-over what he needs to work on, and he continues to thumb his nose at authority. That is a character issue that has sunk many a prospect, black, yellow, white, purple or green. Race isn't the issue here. Ho-Sang being an ####### is the issue here.

Man he’s not that far off on his opinion. Character issues seem to come up much more with players of colour.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #2013
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
That’s a little more than 10% of the cap, for two players at the most important position.

It’s well within reason.
2.75m is too much for a guy who will probably play 15-20 games. Maybe it would be different if he was really good but we are talking about an average goalie here. We have a star starter now who costs 6m, no need for an average backup at almost half that. You could probably get a guy like Dell for 1m and have essentially the same level of talent for 7m instead of almost 9m. Every little bit counts when you have two 4th line talents in Ryan and Lucic making nearly a combined 8.5m. That's not even mentioning Bennett, who i think makes too much as well. Don't forget the buyouts too. BT needs to create cap space wherever he can.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #2014
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They also don't have the cap crunch we do

I love Rittich, I'm just spitballing ideas to save some cap
I don't really see us having a huge cap crunch this year? I think people fixated on bringing in Hall might, but I don't see a fit for Hall or really any forward on the UFA market. Pietrangelo was the only non-Brodie UFA I wanted, and we went with Tanev instead.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 10-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #2015
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Man he’s not that far off on his opinion. Character issues seem to come up much more with players of colour.
Citation please.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #2016
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't really see us having a huge cap crunch this year? I think people fixated on bringing in Hall might, but I don't see a fit for Hall or really any forward on the UFA market. Pietrangelo was the only non-Brodie UFA I wanted, and we went with Tanev instead.
I really don't want Hall (or Toffoli) either, but feel we should make some changes. Right now we have enough to re-sign our RFA's.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #2017
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

Signing a KHL deal is an attitude problem now?

Ho-Sang is no worse than Avery or Downie and how many opportunities did they get to be pieces of #### at the NHL level? Yet the moment a Ho-Sang or Aliu does shows signs they are essentially black balled.

You do know that when someone complains about the "race card" (which for the record is a pretty vile thing to call an argument for being treated like an equal), the problem is almost always the person complaining about he race card.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #2018
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really don't want Hall (or Toffoli) either, but feel we should make some changes. Right now we have enough to re-sign our RFA's.
I'm not opposed to change, but I think any major change will have salary going out and salary coming in. If we pull off what I'd really want (Monahan+Hanifin for a top-end #1 centre) we probably end up with less salary coming back than we send out.

Old 10-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #2019
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
2.75m is too much for a guy who will probably play 15-20 games. Maybe it would be different if he was really good but we are talking about an average goalie here. We have a star starter now who costs 6m, no need for an average backup at almost half that. You could probably get a guy like Dell for 1m and have essentially the same level of talent for 7m instead of almost 9m. Every little bit counts when you have two 4th line talents in Ryan and Lucic making nearly a combined 8.5m. That's not even mentioning Bennett, who i think makes too much as well. Don't forget the buyouts too. BT needs to create cap space wherever he can.
Markstrom has played 60 games twice.

We have a backup goalie who played in the All Star game last year - play him 30
times or whatever the pro rated equivalent is in a shorter season.

I have zero desire to see Markstrom start 70 games a year. He’s not making Price money, let’s devote resources to ensuring he‘a ready when we actually need him.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #2020
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not opposed to change, but I think any major change will have salary going out and salary coming in. If we pull off what I'd really want (Monahan+Hanifin for a top-end #1 centre) we probably end up with less salary coming back than we send out.
I'd like to see something like Ryan moved out, add two guys like Perry and Grandlund with that money instead

Of course "Ryan moved out" is easy to sit here and type.
Closed Thread