Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2020, 04:53 PM   #101
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Yes, and I can't see any owner being on board with this at all. This literally handcuffs their franchise in so many ways. If I was the GM's and the owners I would simply say no. Go ahead and hold the draft, nobody is going to make a pick. This proposal by the NHL has too many problems, it is going to be a disaster!
Perfect. Flames will make the picks than. Lafreniere, Byfield come on down!
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #102
standinmotion
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Having the draft after the season if it doesn’t end until September also causes problems
What sort of problems do you think? - Genuine question.
standinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #103
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, and I can't see any owner being on board with this at all. This literally handcuffs their franchise in so many ways. If I was the GM's and the owners I would simply say no. Go ahead and hold the draft, nobody is going to make a pick. This proposal by the NHL has too many problems, it is going to be a disaster!

Almost every owner probably wants it in June . Did you see the numbers that the nfl virtual draft brought in? Not saying they would get the same ratings but my guess it would be the most televised nhl draft ever. They can sell advertisement for it at a premium right now. They won’t get that kind of sales and ratings if they actually finish the season and then do it.

Gm’s on the other hand probably want no part of it in June.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #104
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Almost every owner probably wants it in June . Did you see the numbers that the nfl virtual draft brought in? Not saying they would get the same ratings but my guess it would be the most televised nhl draft ever. They can sell advertisement for it at a premium right now. They won’t get that kind of sales and ratings if they actually finish the season and then do it.

Gm’s on the other hand probably want no part of it in June.
I am betting it will be the least watched draft in the history of televised drafts. The NFL draft had immediate impact players and trades. No trades, no ratings.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #105
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'll take that bet. People are going to watch imo.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #106
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I am betting it will be the least watched draft in the history of televised drafts. The NFL draft had immediate impact players and trades. No trades, no ratings.
That's bull.

If this happens to be the first live televised NHL product since mid-March, there will be tonnes of interest from thousands of fans, regardless of whether or not any trades actually occur. The hockey-starved public will ensure that there will be plenty of viewers; maybe more than any other NHL draft in history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #107
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The draft is the ice cream, trades are the sprinkles.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #108
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can’t compare the NFL and NHL drafts.

The early round picks in the NFL draft are already stars since college football is kind of a big deal. Every single player selected in the NFL draft is expected to make the team and contribute in the next year.

Most NHL players drafted go back to their old team in the next year.

An NHL draft without trades is OK but not real interesting for most fans.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #109
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Having the draft after the season if it doesn’t end until September also causes problems
What would they be? Assuming no other leagues are playing before then.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #110
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You can’t compare the NFL and NHL drafts.

The early round picks in the NFL draft are already stars since college football is kind of a big deal. Every single player selected in the NFL draft is expected to make the team and contribute in the next year.

Most NHL players drafted go back to their old team in the next year.

An NHL draft without trades is OK but not real interesting for most fans.
You can’t compare overall numbers but they had a huge jump in ratings because they were the only sport in town. The nhl is trying do do the same . They will also see an uptick on viewership. It would be the only sport in town. Yes trades make it better , but how many trades actually happen on day 1 every year? 2 at the most ? Could be wrong.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #111
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That's bull.

If this happens to be the first live televised NHL product since mid-March, there will be tonnes of interest from thousands of fans, regardless of whether or not any trades actually occur. The hockey-starved public will ensure that there will be plenty of viewers; maybe more than any other NHL draft in history.
We will see. Pretty much every article I have read on the draft happening in June has negative comments.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:09 PM   #112
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to mention the handcuffing of teams that have acquired extra picks to make deals involving roster players. Then there is the mess of conditional picks. It is just a poor idea that reeks of desperation for minute ratings. It simply isn't fair to any team either. Cancel the season and have the draft or finish the season and have the draft. The alternative is truly ridiculous.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #113
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
You can’t compare overall numbers but they had a huge jump in ratings because they were the only sport in town. The nhl is trying do do the same . They will also see an uptick on viewership. It would be the only sport in town. Yes trades make it better , but how many trades actually happen on day 1 every year? 2 at the most ? Could be wrong.
I agree with you that it’s possible you’d see an uptick in viewers from other years but it’s off a relatively small base. And the NFL didn’t have to disrupt their cycle to do it so they had the prospect of trades etc. of which there were plenty.

If you have hope of finishing the season that needs to be the priority, not a little potential ratings jump in your off season programming IMO.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #114
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie
·
9m
A final decision on whether to have the NHL draft in early June could come today but the league’s call on that still could slide into the coming days. At this point, it’s more likely than not the draft will be held in early June, but no date(s) set yet.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #115
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yes the whole timeframe is different because of this. No one wants to start the season without fans so the start gets pushed back as late as possible.

Which gives you all the more time to run a made for TV playoffs this year.

For the league it’s the best way to try and maximize both playoff TV revenue and gate for regular season.

Play resumes July 1? Next season starts January 1? Just guesses.
I think July 1st is spot on.

January 1st only if the world has a readily available vaccine by that point, which I doubt.

I think December becomes January, which becomes something closer to March, which may have them just taking the year off and starting in September as per usual. (October regular season)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #116
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by standinmotion View Post
What sort of problems do you think? - Genuine question.
Not that the problems are insurmountable, but it would cause problems for the junior teams. They would be running training camps and trying to figure out rosters. Are they able to make trades during this time (the junior teams)?? How could they do that if they don't even know if that player will be with them or if they were drafted?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #117
standinmotion
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Not that the problems are insurmountable, but it would cause problems for the junior teams. They would be running training camps and trying to figure out rosters. Are they able to make trades during this time (the junior teams)?? How could they do that if they don't even know if that player will be with them or if they were drafted?
This sounds very condescending of course; but wouldn't the junior league play around the NHL schedules anyway? I.e. the NHL sets the course and all other leagues adapt around it?
standinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #118
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think July 1st is spot on.

January 1st only if the world has a readily available vaccine by that point, which I doubt.

I think December becomes January, which becomes something closer to March, which may have them just taking the year off and starting in September as per usual. (October regular season)
I could see them starting the season with empty arenas or small crowds if the belief is that they will be full within a month or two.

I watched Last Dance episode 5 last night and they showed footage of the Dream Team scrimmaging in 1992 in an empty gym. It had me warming up to the idea of watching sports in venues without fans. It seemed competitive as hell.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #119
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That assumes junior/college teams will be playing this fall, which I'd say is pretty unlikely at this point.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #120
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by standinmotion View Post
This sounds very condescending of course; but wouldn't the junior league play around the NHL schedules anyway? I.e. the NHL sets the course and all other leagues adapt around it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That assumes junior/college teams will be playing this fall, which I'd say is pretty unlikely at this point.
Yes, that is assuming the junior teams play at all which of course is also uncertain at this point. The leagues operate independently so not sure what level of cooperation there may or may not be (??). My only point was the NHL does not exist in a vacuum and pushing the draft to September may in fact have a domino effect on other leagues. Both your points are valid.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good