Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #1281
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

So I bought a PS5 for our office communal gaming kitchen on the release last year. In hindsight, we should have just scalped it for team building funds or something.

Nobody is working in the office due to Covid-19 and there have been no compelling games on PS5 that people are interested in getting.

I have the option of buying a game and going to work to play it on our PS5 but I can't find anything that's interesting. Even for myself, I think a personal PS5 will have to wait for a year or longer or at least for more AAA releases that make it worthwhile. Right now all I have done is replayed old PS4 games with a PS5 boost like Ghosts of Tsushima.

What are you guys playing on your PS5s?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #1282
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Is this store credit on your Edge card? does your edge card have a scratch off pin on the back?

If so, you can use that to buy a console online. If not maybe try here
It's Edge card. I wasn't sure if I could as when I log in it shows my points but never the amount of money I have accumulated on the card.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #1283
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
So I bought a PS5 for our office communal gaming kitchen on the release last year. In hindsight, we should have just scalped it for team building funds or something.

Nobody is working in the office due to Covid-19 and there have been no compelling games on PS5 that people are interested in getting.

I have the option of buying a game and going to work to play it on our PS5 but I can't find anything that's interesting. Even for myself, I think a personal PS5 will have to wait for a year or longer or at least for more AAA releases that make it worthwhile. Right now all I have done is replayed old PS4 games with a PS5 boost like Ghosts of Tsushima.

What are you guys playing on your PS5s?
I held out on buying a PS4 Pro for the PS5, so I'm using it for that function basically. I've got quite a backlog of games, especially after the PS+ collection, so I'm quite happy

Complaints about lack of launch titles was perfectly valid for the PS4 era, but with the PS5 having full backward compatibility and so many titles being patched for PS5 boosts I don't get complaining about a lack of PS5 specific titles. Just treat it as an even more powerful PS4 until more games start dropping later in the year
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2021, 07:00 PM   #1284
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The load times is a game changer for me, Control in particular was bad with me, but any game really was slow. I do notice on next gen(and optimized) games are smoother and more robust, especially when you play them on "game play optimized" settings.

When I had Series X, SSX3 despite being a very old game really stood out as a game that benefited greatly for a good game experience
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #1285
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Maybe others would have evidence to the contrary, but I feel we're at the point now where you can get a PS5 at retail if you really want one - especially if you're willing to buy a bundle with an extra Controller or a game. You wouldn't be able to stroll into a store to pick one up, but the online stores have had quite a few units available in the last week or two, and are actually staying in stock for 15 minutes or more. I think enough for someone that's really in pursuit of one, if they're following the right sources.

Even the resale market on Kijiji has really stagnated, with those actually selling going for not much above retail. Those posting with crazy high prices are there quite a while.
Is this true though? I'd happily pick up a digital edition on kijiji for a reasonable mark up. They start at $720 and go to $850.

Last edited by jayswin; 03-15-2021 at 04:28 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #1286
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was finally able to snag one last week. I had great success with downloading the Telegram App (it’s like a generic messaging app) and then subscribing to the NowInStock telegram broadcast channel. As long as you see the notification ASAP, you can grab one. There’s been Walmart/Best Buy/Amazon all this week alone.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #1287
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

An often forgotten perk of the Series X, Smart Delivery:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1372848346365300739
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 05:11 PM   #1288
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

PSVR 2 controllers

VR Controller by PlayStation.Blog, on Flickr

Last edited by Cliche; 03-20-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:01 PM   #1289
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Support for Dolby Vision in Games has been added to both series X and S in the latest build for Xbox insiders.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/03/22/d...ox-series-x-s/
Old 03-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #1290
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 07:19 PM   #1291
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^DIY Perks has quickly become a favourite channel of mine for DIY projects that are as much "That's cool!" as they are "Why in the hell do you need that?"

For the latter, his quest to create an artificial sun has been interesting. Started with just "Hang this old laptop screen on the wall for virtual daylight!"
Spoiler!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 09:57 AM   #1292
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting little bit of info here, Wreckfest got a next gen update for PS5 and XS consoles. PS5 users have to pay $10, thanks to smart delivery, XS console owners pay nothing.

Not to mention that Wreckfest is also available on Gamepass. Great smash-em up game by THQ Nordic in the same vein as Destruction Derby for the PS1.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:07 PM   #1293
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by since1984 View Post
interesting little bit of info here, wreckfest got a next gen update for ps5 and xs consoles. Ps5 users have to pay $10, thanks to smart delivery, xs console owners pay nothing.

Not to mention that wreckfest is also available on gamepass. Great smash-em up game by thq nordic in the same vein as destruction derby for the ps1.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1376584420224827394
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Human Torch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 01:27 PM   #1294
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Thanks!

Will be interesting to see what enhancements are made to the game to justify the $10 upgrade fee over the 4K 60 already available on XSX.

From what I have read its, better textures, lighting increased detail and foliage etc.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #1295
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

GamePass continues to crush it. Outriders dropped yesterday, and today they announce MLB The Show 21 is launching on the service on April 20th.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #1296
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I luckily didn't pre-order on PS5....Thank you Xbox.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #1297
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recently I've been playing MLB The Show 14 on RPCS3, which is the first baseball video game I've played since Triple Play '99 for PC. I still remember TP99 being pretty awesome at the time.

I'm really looking forward to trying out MLB The Show 21 on April 20th.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #1298
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It's working... GamePass is slowly making me want an Xbox... the bastards....
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #1299
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I'll just do is play it on Xbox One until it's super cheap in the fall and get it for PS5. I'm not as big into sports games as I used to be so being about 6 months behind doesn't bother me.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:10 PM   #1300
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
What I'll just do is play it on Xbox One until it's super cheap in the fall and get it for PS5. I'm not as big into sports games as I used to be so being about 6 months behind doesn't bother me.
You do know that when they announce the dates that games are leaving Gamepass Microsoft usually has great deals on those games so you can continue playing after they leave the service. So you probably would actually save more money by just buying it on Xbox.

Also on an unrelated note, Outriders has been excellent so far, really enjoying the game and story. I think I am getting more vested in the story than I thought I would too.

Xbox has a massive advantage over PS5 right now. The momentum they are building with game pass is significant.

Last edited by Since1984; 04-02-2021 at 03:13 PM.