Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #6521
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will definitely check out The Bike Shop. Any idea when places like this have deals? I'd like to get one before spring, so would there be good deals in place in March/April?
Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #6522
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

March is usually when all the shops will start having their sales to clear out last year's models.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #6523
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

That's the one key piece I missed in my previous post- my sub $500 bike retailed the year before for $650.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #6524
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other thing about buying a from a bike shop is most of the time they will offer free service for a couple of years. So if you have a problem with shifting or brakes or something, just take it in and they will do it for free. Sportchek gets some dude to assemble their bikes in the back room who may or may not know what they are doing. Support local bike shops.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #6525
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

everything is always on sale at a bike shop if you are a long time customer who spends enough money - I routinely get a good % off without really asking.

on my last two bikes purchases, we could not come to an agreement on the price of the bike, but then I added in a few accessories, and we came to what was the ultimate price I wanted to pay for the bike and the gear.

just takes time and money to establish a relationship with the hard working staff at your LBS
Old 03-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #6526
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unfortunately, I am not a long time customer .

But isn't haggling on prices generally frowned upon? I fully intend to purchase the bike from a local shop BTW.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #6527
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm sure Sportcheck and Walmart bikes are fine if you or someone you know is able to go over the bike and make sure everything has been assembled properly. I just wouldn't trust them without a 2nd set of eyes to go over the bike.

Bicycle Repair Hub posts photos of bikes on Facebook from Walmart and Sportchek that have been assembled incorrectly.

He posted this one earlier this week. Most people wouldn't even notice something was wrong with this bike. (the fork is backwards)

Old 03-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #6528
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Unfortunately, I am not a long time customer .

But isn't haggling on prices generally frowned upon? I fully intend to purchase the bike from a local shop BTW.
I would suggest that my start by looking at a shop close to you, and if you buy a rig from them, make sure to go back for service and accessories, it will take time, but you will develop a relationship.

You can try and haggle with them, as there is always some room to move. on your fist bike you should get something off; however, when you buy more bikes, your discount will increase
Old 03-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #6529
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any reviews on Pedalhead, Calgary Cycle - Pure or Cactus Bike?

As a side, I can't believe you can get bikes for >$10K?!?! That's nuts! I am so out of the loop when it comes to bike riding.

Last edited by Izzle; 03-01-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #6530
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pure Cycle is decent. Lifetime tuneups on their bikes is worth quite a bit if you ride regularly. My brother in law swears by Pedalhead. I have really no experience with them.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #6531
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'm sure Sportcheck and Walmart bikes are fine if you or someone you know is able to go over the bike and make sure everything has been assembled properly. I just wouldn't trust them without a 2nd set of eyes to go over the bike.

Bicycle Repair Hub posts photos of bikes on Facebook from Walmart and Sportchek that have been assembled incorrectly.

He posted this one earlier this week. Most people wouldn't even notice something was wrong with this bike. (the fork is backwards)

I've bought my last two bikes at sport chek and agree you need to double check assembly but the value they sell at is impressive in the GT and Orbea line relative to other main line brands. And you can stack coupons. So you get 10% off for new email and usually you can find another 10% or $50 off coupon somewhere. Bought a GT Pantera 27.5 plus bike came in under $1000 after stacking coupons. Similar kitted bikes are 1300-1600 at LBS.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #6532
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I've bought my last two bikes at sport chek and agree you need to double check assembly but the value they sell at is impressive in the GT and Orbea line relative to other main line brands. And you can stack coupons. So you get 10% off for new email and usually you can find another 10% or $50 off coupon somewhere. Bought a GT Pantera 27.5 plus bike came in under $1000 after stacking coupons. Similar kitted bikes are 1300-1600 at LBS.

Hope you used your Scene card too. Probably got a couple free movies out of it too.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #6533
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to assemble bikes for Wal Mart and Zellers. The problem is they are barely able to hold themselves together. Soft metals, rear cassetes that gyrate all over, rims that taco when you ride off a curb...just absolute garbage. Sport Check is much better, but if you don't know how to tune a bike you may end up frustrated.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #6534
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

As of 6am this morning the north Bow path was getting plowed, that's the best crew in the city. One jeep with the blade, and then behind another jeep with the brush. Passed them at the Baines bridge as they were heading westbound. Other than that all the paths had about 2-3cm of snow on them (Nose creek and Fox Hollow hill).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 08:30 AM   #6535
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ an yet I drove down deerfoot, glenmore and macleod this morning and the only snow removal equipment I saw was private contractors in private parking lots
Old 03-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #6536
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

As of 6pm the south bow path between Eau Claire and 14th street wasn't plowed. It was a nightmare being covered in snirt and I probably walked about 3/4 of the ride home.

I should have aired out the tires for better float and lowered the seat. But I didn't.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #6537
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ride home wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Nose Creek MUP still wasn't touched at all, but since so few people were out there it was mainly nice fresh powder that I was able to just cut right through. Still going at a slow pace but I couldn't wipe the smile off my face, it was just so much fun! Once I hit the north BOW MUP it was a little better since that crew had been out earlier clearing, still lots of fresh powder on top.

My morning ride was 41 minutes, the ride home was 44.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #6538
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought about going for a spin this morning, until I shoveled my drive way. You would have to have real man quads to enjoy biking thru all of the snow that is likely down on the sidewalks and paths.

Might go for a spin tomorrow if I think mr. plow or the plow king has been out
Old 03-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #6539
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think I want to try out one of these fat bikes. I'm getting squirrely on the trainer and there's no end in site to this snow and the burbs don't seem to get the same path plowing love the inner city gets.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #6540
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I think I want to try out one of these fat bikes. I'm getting squirrely on the trainer and there's no end in site to this snow and the burbs don't seem to get the same path plowing love the inner city gets.
How tall are you? We have a small and medium demo fatboys. We changed the tires to wrathchilds, not that you need the studs at this time.
Closed Thread