Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #1201
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course I didn’t bookmark the article from one of the news aggregators. Doh!

The gist of the article was that the financial aspects of this console generation are throwing up seriously big numbers.

Assuming 200 million consoles sold with an average attachment rate that drives profit to $100 per console, that’s $20,000,000,000 profit to be shared. That’s a one time bucket to be shared.

More staggering for me was the ongoing revenue for add ons.

Xbox Ultimate Game Pass generates an MSRP of say $200 per annum for likely 20 million players generates $4,000,000,000 per annum. Over a 7 year life span that’s $28 billion revenue. This doesn’t include Xbox live revenue which likely has a decent profit margin.

I can’t remember what Sony’s numbers were but they were also impressive.

While console sales and attachment rates are important, I think that the numbers will drive more working together between console manufacturers, and less bickering.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #1202
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting the new XBOX all set up, pretty awesome so far. Does each user need an XB live account to play online? Like if my kid and I both want to have separate profiles I need 2 subscriptions? I know on the switch they have a family plan but there isn't anything like that for XBOX?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:48 PM   #1203
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Getting the new XBOX all set up, pretty awesome so far. Does each user need an XB live account to play online? Like if my kid and I both want to have separate profiles I need 2 subscriptions? I know on the switch they have a family plan but there isn't anything like that for XBOX?
You only need the one master gamer tag and then the rest come under the master account. More information is here. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-46549ca19e03

You can’t get them onto their own tag soon enough. My kids battle over my gamer tag because it has many points and I’ve been diligent about getting the free games. They have their own but they don’t have many points.

It’s called a family group and you only pay for the one subscription.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #1204
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
You only need the one master gamer tag and then the rest come under the master account. More information is here. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-46549ca19e03

You can’t get them onto their own tag soon enough. My kids battle over my gamer tag because it has many points and I’ve been diligent about getting the free games. They have their own but they don’t have many points.

It’s called a family group and you only pay for the one subscription.
Thanks, I figured out what my problem was, my account needs to be signed in for my kid to be able to access XBL it appears.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #1205
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, I figured out what my problem was, my account needs to be signed in for my kid to be able to access XBL it appears.
I’m not sure how you have things set up but my kids go online all the time with their tags and without my gamer tag. It’s one of the best things especially with game pass as they get access to many games.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #1206
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS5s have sold over 3.4 million since launch. They expect to increase production to between 17-18Million units in 2021. That seems like it won't be enough with everyone still stuck at home.

Quote:
PlayStation 5 shipped 3.4 million units in its first four weeks of sales, the highest ever for a PlayStation console, according to a Digitimes report citing “industry sources.”

Production is expected to reach 16.8 to 18 million units in 2021 with the help of additional capacity support from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company and backend service firms, the publication said.

AMD, which produces the console’s customized 7nm CPU, has reportedly secured additional foundry capacity from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, allowing downstream production partners to ramp up console output.

PlayStation 5 has remained sold out since launch. In western territories such as North America and Europe, retail partners replenish limited stock at random every so often, but sell out almost immediately. The North American PlayStation Direct store receives additional stock more regularly, but faces the same immediate sell out. In Japan, retail partners have been regularly announcing raffles to sell extremely limited additional stock.
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/12/digi...-units-in-2021

Last edited by FlameOn; 12-29-2020 at 05:22 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #1207
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
PS5s have sold over 3.4 million since launch. They expect to increase production to between 17-18Million units in 2021. That seems like it won't be enough with everyone still stuck at home.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/12/digi...-units-in-2021

Looks like it is about two times as many as the estimated Xbox Series X/S sales. Which is pretty much expected due to the lack of next gen exclusive games available for each.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #1208
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is anyone else finding that they're looking forward to the next-gen patches for games versus actual next-gen games? Some of the developers have been doing amazing work with these upgrades and breathing new life into lots of games people haven't had a chance to play.

Looking forward to Bethesda doing a new version of Skyrim with 4K/60 so I can finally commit to playing it instead of just starting and then abandoning it.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #1209
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone had luck recently finding a series x? Wondering if it’s work checking out a couple stores (London Drugs, etc.) to see if they have any physical inventory...
iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:02 PM   #1210
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Is anyone else finding that they're looking forward to the next-gen patches for games versus actual next-gen games? Some of the developers have been doing amazing work with these upgrades and breathing new life into lots of games people haven't had a chance to play.

Looking forward to Bethesda doing a new version of Skyrim with 4K/60 so I can finally commit to playing it instead of just starting and then abandoning it.
Series X with Frame unlock mod

4K/60
Old 12-29-2020, 11:24 PM   #1211
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Looks like it is about two times as many as the estimated Xbox Series X/S sales. Which is pretty much expected due to the lack of next gen exclusive games available for each.
How is this known for Xbox? I thought that the consensus was that both consoles are selling out based upon production volumes and units that are actually in the marketplace, and not related to anything else.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:04 AM   #1212
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
How is this known for Xbox? I thought that the consensus was that both consoles are selling out based upon production volumes and units that are actually in the marketplace, and not related to anything else.
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...-sales-figures

Quote:
Looking at global launch sales, VGChartz said the Xbox Series X and S managed to sell 1,817,303 in its first four weeks on sale in the US and Japan (and first three weeks on sale in Europe), while the PS5 sold almost twice as much for the same time period - 3,368,098.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #1213
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Next month's PS+ games is a very solid lineup

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/12...and-greedfall/

I'm just a little miffed that I just bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider during the winter sale
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #1214
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not sure how you have things set up but my kids go online all the time with their tags and without my gamer tag. It’s one of the best things especially with game pass as they get access to many games.
I did some fiddling and was able to get them to be able to open games by making the xbox my home xbox but I am still struggling with access to online if I am not signed in. I will keep trying different settings.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:27 PM   #1215
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are you guys using for headsets for the new xbox?
Old 12-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #1216
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

So is there any hope of picking up a ps5 these days? I'm out of the loop.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:09 PM   #1217
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So is there any hope of picking up a ps5 these days? I'm out of the loop.
Apparently shoppers releases the odd one. A friend got her kids one by calling the stores and asking for days they get shipments. Then just checking each day.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #1218
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My Astro A40 TRX from last gen. Works and sounds excellent with the Dolby Atmos app.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #1219
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I have the SteelSeries Arctis 9x that I bought with my XBox One X but it works with the Series X. It's very comfortable (more so than the 3D Pulse Headset for the PS5) but it has it's quirks (e.g. crackles here and there, sound dropping when I do a quick resume though I don't know if it's the headphones or quick resume).

I have the Dolby and DTS apps and prefer the sound of the headphones with DTS MA + bitstream enabled.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #1220
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I have the SteelSeries Arctis 9x that I bought with my XBox One X but it works with the Series X. It's very comfortable (more so than the 3D Pulse Headset for the PS5) but it has it's quirks (e.g. crackles here and there, sound dropping when I do a quick resume though I don't know if it's the headphones or quick resume).

I have the Dolby and DTS apps and prefer the sound of the headphones with DTS MA + bitstream enabled.
I absolutely love the 3D pulse headset, instead of the ear cups being adjustable there's a rubber'ish headband that is extremely comfortable. The best feature that isn't on most headsets including the SS Arctic is the ability to turn up voice chat VS game sound.

Playing NHL 21 I'm able to listen to Spotify & talk with friends while drowning out the annoying commentary, lol. Then while playing Ghost of Tsushima or even better Cyberpunk, I can turn up the game sounds to hear the absurdly funny conversations the npc's are having, lol.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote