Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-08-2020, 11:11 PM   #41
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd suggest waiting until April when the next Bay Days will be (their October one already finished), if saving a bunch of money is important to you. They'll have a wide range of pots, pans and other kitchen gear available and the prices are always phenomenal. I do two massive shopping hauls a year from clothing to linens to kitchenware during Bay Days.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #42
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It takes no time to season a pan. This is Big Teflon propaganda.

Seriously even if you’re lazy one day just rub some canola oil on it before putting it away and it’ll be fine. It will polymerize next time you heat it up. I cook everything on the same two pans, every day. They look practically new.
There are definitely disadvantages to cast iron. You can't use soap or steel wool to clean for example.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:34 PM   #43
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There are definitely disadvantages to cast iron. You can't use soap or steel wool to clean for example.

No, that’s not actually correct.

You can use soap to clean it. The oil is polymerized, it’s not like you are going to be washing off the oil.

I will use a little bit of soap in a quick wash

Periodically I will re-coat the pan preferably with lard
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #44
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
No, that’s not actually correct.

You can use soap to clean it. The oil is polymerized, it’s not like you are going to be washing off the oil.

I will use a little bit of soap in a quick wash

Periodically I will re-coat the pan preferably with lard
You can use some soap, not to the same degree. Definitely no soaking.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #45
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You can use some soap, not to the same degree. Definitely no soaking.

I don’t know. I am sure someone on the internet might tell you that.

A quick soak hasn’t been an issue for me. I have done it several times, and I have a cast iron pan I have used for the past couple of decades. And it doesn’t have a projected end of life

I am sure that if you were to soak an unseasoned cast iron long enough, you will get some rust. (Probably some people don’t season the whole pan including back and sides, but there is no reason not to)

Part of care for a cast iron is re-seasoning periodically. If you take care of it, it can last the rest of your life

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 11-09-2020 at 04:54 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #46
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I soak mine when I need to, it's a non-issue. You can give them a quick wash with soap, as well. They are pretty forgiving. And you can always re-season. I'd hate to not have any. They are my go-to most of the time.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #47
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

My personal set of pots and pans are:

- 12 piece Kirkland brand stainless steel $160 a decade ago
- Joyce Chen Carbon steel wok $50 Amazon a year ago
- Le Creuset Dutch Oven (gift. They're like $250.. which is insanely expensive IMO. I bet a $50-60 one Amazon Basics one would suffice)
- Stock pot $20 at Winners
- Cast iron pan $25 Amazon

I sous vide quite frequently, so I often only need to end off my cook with a quick sear. I love the stainless steel because I can abuse them and then chuck them into the dishwasher if I'm lazy.

My wife uses the Kirkland stainless steel pots, but prefers non-stick pans because they're lighter for flipping and whatnot. We literally throw away a non-stick pan 1-2 times ever 2 years (warping, scratching, non-stick fails etc.). I think she has like some 6", 8" pan and some 10" stew pot for non-stick stuff? I'm getting sick of that crap, so I think I may consider a ceramic coated pan to see if it lasts longer if I have to replace those pans again.

To reduce things sticking on stainless steel and carbon steel, I've always been taught to let the metal heat up a bit first before adding oil to cook. Adding oil to a cold pot/pan often causes food to stick.

The other major thing is that to avoid warping, avoid extremely quick temperature changes. Don't use water to cool pans off. Metal will warp more readily if you do that and glassware is more likely to shatter.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:57 AM   #48
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ended up with this set from the Bay one day sale:
https://www.thebay.com/product/meyer...color=NO_COLOR

And then these frying pans to add to the set:
https://www.thebay.com/product/all-c...25_color=BLACK
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #49
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you think of the Meyer set? I was deciding between that and the Zwilling Joy set they had.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:50 PM   #50
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haven’t arrived yet, but will do a quick review when they do. We live out in the country, so online ordering is...interesting...at the best of times. Sounds like they are at the post office, so will pick them up tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #51
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Carbon steel has many of the very same benefits as cast iron! But it’s way lighter! Convert! Convert!

But cast iron is also fantastic and also lasts forever.
I'm a late arrival to this thread, and I have to take issue with this. You need at least a couple of both. Cast iron just holds onto a consistent heat better than carbon steel does. Carbon steel heats faster and is good for cooking at high heat, but owning both of them, I still use cast iron more. This is slightly influenced by the fact that I'm on induction rather than gas, but I think it still holds true regardless of fuel.

Now for the real question: why is it necessary for anyone to buy anything not made by Lodge?

I'm serious. Maybe I'm a philistine on this and I don't know it, but I've tried more expensive stuff and I don't get it. Granted, I haven't tried the absolute most expensive stuff (aside from some very expensive enamel, which, again, was not in any noticeable way any better than Lodge enamel).

Where is the incremental benefit to justify spending more?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:44 PM   #52
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It takes no time to season a pan. This is Big Teflon propaganda.

Seriously even if you’re lazy one day just rub some canola oil on it before putting it away and it’ll be fine. It will polymerize next time you heat it up. I cook everything on the same two pans, every day. They look practically new.
My (lazy) strategy is to just cook bacon in it. Seems to work.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:53 PM   #53
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haven’t gotten a chance to test them out yet, but the Meyer set looks solid and appears to be well made. Will report back after the first use.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #54
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
My (lazy) strategy is to just cook bacon in it. Seems to work.
Bacon's often the first thing I cook after a pan is seasoned just for that reason. Incidentally, seasoning a pan is like the easiest thing in the world.

1. Rub all over the pan with oil (any vegetable oil is fine, some people use crisco, many swear by flaxseed oil, whatever floats your boat), then rub off all excess with a paper towel.
2. Put pan in the (cold) oven upside down on rack and set oven to 500 degrees or as high as it will go - mine does 480, this is fine.
3. Once oven has reached max heat, leave it for an hour, then turn it off and leave the pan in there with the door closed until it's cooled to room temperature.
4. Repeat this process a couple of times to improve coating quality, if you feel like it. Not strictly necessary, but I personally do 3 coats.

That's literally it. It's mostly just sticking the pan in the oven and waiting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 11-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #55
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Random fun fact about carbon steel and cast iron pans:

Cast iron actually contains more carbon than carbon steel, and carbon steel contains more iron than cast iron.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:56 AM   #56
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm a late arrival to this thread, and I have to take issue with this. You need at least a couple of both. Cast iron just holds onto a consistent heat better than carbon steel does. Carbon steel heats faster and is good for cooking at high heat, but owning both of them, I still use cast iron more. This is slightly influenced by the fact that I'm on induction rather than gas, but I think it still holds true regardless of fuel.

Now for the real question: why is it necessary for anyone to buy anything not made by Lodge?

I'm serious. Maybe I'm a philistine on this and I don't know it, but I've tried more expensive stuff and I don't get it. Granted, I haven't tried the absolute most expensive stuff (aside from some very expensive enamel, which, again, was not in any noticeable way any better than Lodge enamel).

Where is the incremental benefit to justify spending more?
For cast iron, the only benefit I've seen from spending more is a smoother surface. High-end cast iron is usually finished in a way that's a lot smoother than say the most basic lodge pan or even an Amazon Basics cast iron (Amazon Basics has the weirdest assortment of ####, as an aside). Some say this helps develop and retain a seasoning, I haven't seen that.

Outside of that, the only benefit is "prestige" brands and "beautiful looking" if you're a dork. But pans are made for cooking. I will always go with the cheapest cast iron vs the more expensive, and if seasoned properly, the difference is irrelevant. A friend has a FINEX cast iron pan. It is beautiful, I really like it, but for $400 you must be joking.

I agree that having both carbon steel and cast iron is good though. But if, for whatever reason, you wanted just one, carbon steel can be effectively the same depending on thickness (3mm is the sweet spot for me, 3mm pans act a little more like cast iron) but a little more maneuverable.

If one might want my favourite carbon steel pan, they are currently shipping for free: https://www.dartointernational.com

I also have a $30 IKEA carbon steel pan, but it's very thin, so I assume I will eventually accidentally warp it. We'll see! de Buyers are also good, but kind of pricey imo.

But yeah, cast iron? Spend nothing, take care of it well, and you're gold. Buy a fancy cast iron if you want... I guess... but that's for you, not for the benefit of your cooking.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #57
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
But yeah, cast iron? Spend nothing, take care of it well, and you're gold. Buy a fancy cast iron if you want... I guess... but that's for you, not for the benefit of your cooking.
Even carbon steel, though. The pans you linked to are pretty reasonable, but then there's this sort of thing... https://knifewear.com/products/west-...13653254504496

... Yeah, I'm sure that's a great frying pan. Why is it $300? I totally get it where knives are concerned. There is an obvious practical benefit even aside from the looks and craftsmanship and cool factor that drive up the price on a handmade knife. But I just do not get it where pans are concerned.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #58
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Even carbon steel, though. The pans you linked to are pretty reasonable, but then there's this sort of thing... https://knifewear.com/products/west-...13653254504496

... Yeah, I'm sure that's a great frying pan. Why is it $300? I totally get it where knives are concerned. There is an obvious practical benefit even aside from the looks and craftsmanship and cool factor that drive up the price on a handmade knife. But I just do not get it where pans are concerned.
Not only is it $300, which is completely outrageous for carbon steel (even the very best and highly rated carbon steel pans run at maybe $80-$100 tops for a 24cm) but the description also says you can't season it on an electric glasstop...

Sure, the oven is the best method (for a initial pass of the entire pan, at least) but I've seasoned a de Buyer on a glasstop, which for the same size is literally 20% of the price.... and it's turned out beautifully.

That's definitely the case of buying it "because it's from Japan!" and literally nothing else. What a waste of money.

...also de Buyer Mineral B pans are on sale at the Bay right now, which is dope.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other benefit of the more expensive stuff is it can be lighter. Some of the cheap ones are boat anchors. I know you want a certain amount of material, but I think some are excessive.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #60
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched that HBO movie on Teflon and Dupont. I had no idea.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote