Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #541
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Finally have another interview.. Thurs am. Position is in BC but hey a job is a job. Other than networking and a promise of a role (which keeps getting pushed back 2weeks, week after week since Sept), it's been pretty dry since my last real interview early Sept.

Also... to ask the group... I'm on EI now... in Oct had to open an Incorporation for a short contract job (3wks)... and have been zero income since then... for EI reporting am I screwed if I now report as "self employed" as of mid-Oct? Do I still get EI going forward? I wanted to call Service Canada/EI but the wait time was in the hours.
Congrats on the interview.

For EI - I think the incorporation part is the problem. That shows you have a business and should be out hustling for clients. If you were in the reporting system, then you would just declare the 3 wks of funds (which would be deducted from your payments) and move on.

Better to wait on the phone for hours than to have to pay them back thousands later on.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #542
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Holy Snikys, I think I just picked up a second contract to balance out time with my primary contract.

I had a recruiting company reach out to me to help them with their recruiting on a casual contract basis.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #543
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's happening...

I got contacted through linkedin about another opportunity as well.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #544
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I can say that this contract is definitely Covid related.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #545
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

aaaargh waiting to hear back after an interview seems to stretch time into eternity.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #546
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My contact was for the same type of position, more responsibilities, way less pay...

I passed.

I'm sure they will fill the position but I didn't need to go back wards at this time.
Passed it on to a colleague who is looking though.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #547
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
aaaargh waiting to hear back after an interview seems to stretch time into eternity.
well after a 2nd interview a week ago I've been ghosted... "they" made several statements that we'll call you in the morning, in the afternoon, how about around 6pm... nothing... two days later the same thing. Now I know sometimes hiring can get hectic and there are probably other mitigating circumstances (regulatory audits)... but hard not to feel it. sigh... time to get back onto the resume merrygoround and networking again.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #548
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
well after a 2nd interview a week ago I've been ghosted... "they" made several statements that we'll call you in the morning, in the afternoon, how about around 6pm... nothing... two days later the same thing. Now I know sometimes hiring can get hectic and there are probably other mitigating circumstances (regulatory audits)... but hard not to feel it. sigh... time to get back onto the resume merrygoround and networking again.
Sorry to heat that RR. No one with a second interview should be ghosted. I get that HR departments can't respond to all submitted resumes, but once interviewed, an applicant deserves the respect of a a call back. That is a major gear grinder for me...
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #549
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Looking for a senior Mechanical P.Eng to work up in Ft Mac if anyone knows someone interested. Needs to be able to reverse engineer on site.

Also looking for a QC Manager based in YYC. Need to be a P.Eng of some sort preferably, to oversee our QC program and likely audit ISO down the road.

pm me for details
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #550
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had an interview today - YAY!

It went well and they are eager to hire (I think I am 1 of 4 candidates). Will know next week.

Many thanks to CaptainCrunch. With his help and advice I revamped my resume and cover letter to something more vibrant and clear. It also helped with making sure I got the main points across in my interview.

He was a big help. I was stuck in a rut for sometime.

This thread also helped. Great to be a part of a great community.

Cheers!

Last edited by Bleeding Red; 12-18-2020 at 10:35 AM. Reason: space
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #551
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Thanks, it was fun working with you, though you probably thought I was a jerk at times. Best of luck on your next stages, fingers crossed on your interview.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #552
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Sorry to heat that RR. No one with a second interview should be ghosted. I get that HR departments can't respond to all submitted resumes, but once interviewed, an applicant deserves the respect of a a call back. That is a major gear grinder for me...
I ended up being un-ghosted and understand the reason for the delay (although my personal mind games did actually include a correct possibility). Did not get the job (lacking a specific experience in a specific specialty... so understandable). Was highly encouraged to apply for another role (plus got a recommendation) AND got an interview at same company this week for an unposted role. So all is not lost... just hope something comes through. It's been a long haul.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #553
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yesterday was my last day. It may only be for a couple months but there are no guarantees. I'm going to take a few weeks off and re-assess.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #554
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it ######y to interview at multiple companies?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #555
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post

Thanks to everyone for the sketchy recruiter feedback. Your comments align with my gut feel. Luckily I have one strong lead from my network that led to an interview this afternoon, and I have another super professional recruiter working with me on another position.
Follow up on this, sketchy recruiter ghosted me entirely after a screening interview. Strong lead turned into a half time position with a mentoring component which I like. Super professional recruiter opportunity ended up going with an internal candidate but I got some good feedback.

I'm back to 30 hours a week or so, which is ok for now. Q1 is looking a bit more optimistic, a decent amount of projects bubbling up and folks might be spending a bit of money.

Bonded - not in my books, you have to look out for number one. If you end up with more than one offer, be professional and it should be fine.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 07:02 PM   #556
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post

jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #557
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Above all else, you take care of yourself and find the best opportunity.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2020, 07:52 PM   #558
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, I didn't feel bad but didn't know if there was etiquette. I have had a job with the same company since university and just started to look around and landed interviews with two companies for more senior roles just over the last two weeks. Went from not interviewing for 8 years to multiple interviews in a few weeks.

Nothing to fret over yet as no offers in hand but had pretty good feedback from both third round interviews.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #559
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, I didn't feel bad but didn't know if there was etiquette. I have had a job with the same company since university and just started to look around and landed interviews with two companies for more senior roles just over the last two weeks. Went from not interviewing for 8 years to multiple interviews in a few weeks.

Nothing to fret over yet as no offers in hand but had pretty good feedback from both third round interviews.

Jesus man, you interview everywhere you can until you get a job. Etiquette? These companies cut people ruthlessly at the drop of a hat to save a few bucks, they are not your friend or family when you work for them let alone before you get a job, lol.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 11:42 PM   #560
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Your best case scenario is multiple offers. How you handle that is your problem but think carefully before you try to pull anything. If you really want to leave your current Org then do so but if you like working there but want a pay bump that’s a different approach. If they won’t bump then you look after #1. I did that many years back and it was the right decision for me and my career.