Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #1521
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the X-Men franchise at Fox has always been a pretty mixed bag.

X-Men: 81%
X-2: 85%
X-3 The Last Stand: 58%
Origins Wolverine: 37%
First Class: 86%
The Wolverine: 71%
Days of Future Past: 91%
Deadpool: 84%
Apocalypse: 47%
Logan: 93%
Deadpool 2: 83%
Dark Phoenix: 20%

Pretty disappointing to see this X-Men Franchise fail so poorly after a good start with First Class, and DoFP. Probably some universe karma after Fox decided to keep giving Bryan Singer jobs in spite of all the sexual misconduct allegations.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #1522
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I'm actually one of the few that liked X-Men Apocalypse, and when it comes to reviews for superhero films I don't always agree with the critical consensus. Still looking forward to this one, going tomorrow on IMAX

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #1523
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I still think The Wolverine could have been a high point of xmen films if they didn’t screw up the ending so badly. That and Viper.

It had so much potential. The first hour or so is great.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #1524
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I still think The Wolverine could have been a high point of xmen films if they didn’t screw up the ending so badly. That and Viper.

It had so much potential. The first hour or so is great.
The decision to have the Silver Samurai just a robotic suite was very strange. They could have given the film more of a Winter Solider/MI Ghost Patrol vibe...but set in Japan. Instead it devolves into classic comic book battle against CGI boss.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #1525
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't realize that David Benioff wrote the screenplay for Origins Wolverine, Fox later hired someone else to revise and rewrite it.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #1526
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah the X-Men franchise at Fox has always been a pretty mixed bag.

X-Men: 81%
X-2: 85%
X-3 The Last Stand: 58%
Origins Wolverine: 37%
First Class: 86%
The Wolverine: 71%
Days of Future Past: 91%
Deadpool: 84%
Apocalypse: 47%
Logan: 93%
Deadpool 2: 83%
Dark Phoenix: 20%

Pretty disappointing to see this X-Men Franchise fail so poorly after a good start with First Class, and DoFP. Probably some universe karma after Fox decided to keep giving Bryan Singer jobs in spite of all the sexual misconduct allegations.
Logan at 93% is shamefully low. That was an epic. Every character would love a send-off half that good.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #1527
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The X-Men franchise is so weird. Perhaps because it was one of the films that kicked off the whole superhero craze, they never had the ability to plan out like the franchises do now, but after twenty years, a dozen movies, they never really found their footing.

The bizarre decision to jump into the next decade with each "First Class" group of X-Men is so puzzling. It's astonishing Days of Future Past actually worked with how jumbled the massive cast was. Then you have Deadpool which, while funny, kind of ignored everything to an insane degree.

Logan and First Class go down as the peak of the franchise however, Logan should have been up for major awards. Hugh Jackman was brilliant in it, same with the girl. How beautiful was that moment at the end, her tipping the cross to make an X? In a perfect world we get a film following that group into Canada.

Ideally Disney takes a step back, let's the X-Men rest for 3-4 years and starts fresh. Apocalypse should be Thanos. Set him up slowly, do him properly, make him huge imposing unbeatable monster.

Oh well, looks like I'l skip this one. I mean who knew giving the directors chair to a first time director, the guy who failed the dark Phoenix story ten years ago in The Last Stand would fail, who could possibly have imagined that...
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #1528
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Promotional image for WW84 at the licensing expo, expect a trailer for that and BOP next month at SDCC.

Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #1529
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really consider Deadpool to be an X men movie. It's sort of the same universe but there's basically no overlap. Logan barely qualifies.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #1530
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't really consider Deadpool to be an X men movie. It's sort of the same universe but there's basically no overlap. Logan barely qualifies.
Deadpool really didn't have that much connection to the rest of the film series. However, Logan was very much connected. The same producers, actors, characters, and even the director from "The Wolverine".

What Logan shows is what can happen when comic book movies aren't pigeon holed into the typical mass appeal / action movie.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #1531
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

First official poster for WW84!

Spoiler!

Old 06-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #1532
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only Gal Gadot could make me willingly look at that poster.

"Hey guys, Thor Ragnarok used a colorful poster to market itself, lets ramp it way up off the scale!" -DC
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #1533
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

look a sailboat

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #1534
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't seen Dark Phoenix yet, it looks like a wait for Netflix movie, but there is something from the previews that keeps bugging me.

So in X-men Apocalypse Jean saves the day after Xavier talks her into unleashing the Phoenix. Okay, it was a dumb ending to a dumb movie but whatever. Now in the preview for this one, it is showing the Phoenix attaching itself to Jean during a space adventure. I'm so confused, how was she the Dark Phoenix at the end of Apocalypse when she doesn't get the Dark Phoenix until the next movie.

Do they try to explain this at all or at this point in the convoluted mess of X-men movies are we just supposed to turn our brains off and ignore any continuity?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #1535
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I haven't seen Dark Phoenix yet, it looks like a wait for Netflix movie, but there is something from the previews that keeps bugging me.

So in X-men Apocalypse Jean saves the day after Xavier talks her into unleashing the Phoenix. Okay, it was a dumb ending to a dumb movie but whatever. Now in the preview for this one, it is showing the Phoenix attaching itself to Jean during a space adventure. I'm so confused, how was she the Dark Phoenix at the end of Apocalypse when she doesn't get the Dark Phoenix until the next movie.

Do they try to explain this at all or at this point in the convoluted mess of X-men movies are we just supposed to turn our brains off and ignore any continuity?
I’ve been spoiled without seeing it.

Without going into details all I’ll say is that it is my understanding that your question is explained and the answer is way dumber than you could possibly imagine.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #1536
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

In the comics Jean Grey initially becomes the Phoenix, and then the cosmic power takes over turning her into the "Dark" Phoenix.

Although in the comics she does have cosmic exposure first before become the phoenix.

My guess is that the movies are going with the latent height of Jean Grey's powers being Phoenixy on their own. Then when she gets exposed to the cosmic power, it combines with her own powers making the "Dark Phoenix".

Even without the Dark Phoenix, Jean Grey is pretty powerful. The Dark Phoenix, however, has the power to wipe out entire worlds. So the movies, regardless of using Phoenixy imagery pre-cosmic exposure, are keeping with appropriate power levels.

Edit: I also don't recommend anyone rewatch that last scene of Apocalypse. That was probably the worst part in an awful movie. I just re-watched it, and everything about is horrible.

Last edited by blankall; 06-12-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #1537
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Batman is slowly picking up steam with recent rumors that these 6 villains will all appear in some capacity: Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Two Face, Firefly and Mad Hatter. It's supposed to be a murder mystery and each of these villains may be suspects.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #1538
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Rumored to lean more on Batman's detective skills than previous films, I am 100% fine with this. Detective Comics was one of my favourite lines back in the day. And on top of everything else, just a fresh take on the character is welcomed.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #1539
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
The Batman is slowly picking up steam with recent rumors that these 6 villains will all appear in some capacity: Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman, Two Face, Firefly and Mad Hatter. It's supposed to be a murder mystery and each of these villains may be suspects.
Oh. So its Batman vs. Superman 'all the villains and source material all at once' again is it?

Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #1540
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh. So its Batman vs. Superman 'all the villains and source material all at once' again is it?
Oh, so its if it's not MCU it's garbage narrative all over again
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post: