Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default GoFundMe for a friend in a serious accident

Hey CP,

I know GoFundMe's aren't the most popular thing here, but a friend of mine was in a serious accident a few days ago while he, his wife and their 3 year old were visiting LA.

He's currently in the ICU at LAC and we're not sure if he's going to pull through. He's an exceptional human being and a lot of us are struggling to come to terms with this. A gofundme has been set up for his family to pay for his medical bills, and I'm sharing this here with the hope that CP can help as well.

The link is below.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/sandeep-a...al-relief-fund
Old 09-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

First thought looking at the thread title was "Why would a Canadian need a GoFundMe for medical bills?", then I read where it happened and it made sense. Sad to hear, really hope your buddy pulls through. It's just so ridiculous that the richest country in the world has to resort to a crowd funded heathcare system
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It says they were visiting LA, healthcare does not cover tourists, even in Canada. I gather they unfortunately did not have out of country insurance.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 09-25-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

The saddest part is I doubt 30k will even scratch an extended ICU stay
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds more like it's for costs for family at this point. I would assume they had travel insurance and it would cover a lot of his medical if not all of it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
It says they were visiting LA, healthcare does not cover tourists, even in Canada.
It's always important to have external insurance when travelling, but even then, insurance companies will delay and fight paying any time they can find even a small reason to.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
The saddest part is I doubt 30k will even scratch an extended ICU stay
In Canada that is around two days of ICU care (depending on the injury/treatments), the cost in the states is known to be higher due to the lack of a single payer system and inflated prices as a result. My guess that is sadly around a day's worth of treatment.

Hopefully he has some insurance through his work/employment.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
dre
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m sorry to hear that Cole436

For the posters wondering about insurance. I would think vehicle liability insurance would cover the cost?
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not trying to soap box or anything, but is there seriously completely no travel insurance on your friend?

Even if somehow they don't have a plan via work or they didn't purchase it, did they book with a credit card that has travel insurance built in as a perk of the card If the card does have it, I think the family could take a huge sigh of relief.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
In Canada that is around two days of ICU care (depending on the injury/treatments), the cost in the states is known to be higher due to the lack of a single payer system and inflated prices as a result. My guess that is sadly around a day's worth of treatment.

Hopefully he has some insurance through his work/employment.
That sounds high. This(warning, excel link - table 13):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xMM5LwD280w12J

Says about $3500 a day in 2014.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #11
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

I would be interested to see how they came up with that number - the cost of ICU nursing staff alone is around $1000/day. Add in any doctors fee schedule, surgery costs/OR time, the cost of intubation&ventilation, medications, diagnostic imaging costs, and amortization of equipment.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...al_ventilation

This seems like a much closer number than the CIHI number which is astoundingly low to me.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hi Cole, sending well wishes and a speedy recovery to your friend, and warm thoughts to you and his family.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I would be interested to see how they came up with that number - the cost of ICU nursing staff alone is around $1000/day. Add in any doctors fee schedule, surgery costs/OR time, the cost of intubation&ventilation, medications, diagnostic imaging costs, and amortization of equipment.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...al_ventilation

This seems like a much closer number than the CIHI number which is astoundingly low to me.
I dunno, I just know I was told about $2500 a day in 2010. Now, I don't think that includes DI and medications, nor ventilation. I'm not sure how nursing gets to $1000 alone, as it would be 2 or 3 shifts, but each nurse gets 2 or 3 beds from what I remember. So the cost of one nurse over 24 hours can't be $1000, unless they make a lot more than I imagine.

Reading your link, I see this as the takeway, but maybe I'm missing the larger number you are seeing?:

"Adjusting for patient and hospital characteristics, the mean incremental cost of mechanical ventilation in intensive care unit patients was 1,522 dollars per day"

Sorry, totally off topic now...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #14
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least here, it's one nurse per bed in ICU. At roughly $50/hr, that's $1,200/d. If it's $40/h in the US, that's $1G/d

Sorry to derail, best wishes to your friend.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #15
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

My wife got an xray and splint in Vegas this summer. I saw that insurance bill and it was $6950.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #16
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dunno, I just know I was told about $2500 a day in 2010. Now, I don't think that includes DI and medications, nor ventilation. I'm not sure how nursing gets to $1000 alone, as it would be 2 or 3 shifts, but each nurse gets 2 or 3 beds from what I remember. So the cost of one nurse over 24 hours can't be $1000, unless they make a lot more than I imagine.

Reading your link, I see this as the takeway, but maybe I'm missing the larger number you are seeing?:

"Adjusting for patient and hospital characteristics, the mean incremental cost of mechanical ventilation in intensive care unit patients was 1,522 dollars per day"

Sorry, totally off topic now...

Totally off topic I agree, but it goes to show the costs associated with health care. The last numbers I was told from a medical director at a major tertiary care hospital was around $12,000 per day.

Nurses make around 40-45 per hour on average, with an ICU patient having 1-1 nursing care. So for $43/hour, over 24 hours it is $1032 - then there are charge nurses and managers as well.

Add in the physicians fee schedule, respiratory therapists, physiotherapists, social worker, cleaning staff, service aids and the like and the costs for staffing alone would be greater than most people would imagine. Now a lot of those costs are divided among a number of patients, but they still cost a significant amount. I just can not see how the costs wouldn't be higher - especially when everything medical costs twice as much.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #17
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just read the update that he passed away. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, who clearly meant so much to a lot of people.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #18
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I just read the update that he passed away. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, who clearly meant so much to a lot of people.
Thanks to everyone for the support.

Sandeep passed away peacefully last night surrounded by his family. He’s survived by his wife and their 3 year old son. He meant a lot to many, many people.

Last edited by Cole436; 09-27-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Cole436 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #19
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Oh man, that's terrible. Sorry for your loss.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote