Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should CP allow ticket sales over face value?
Yes, allow over face value 260 46.35%
No, face value should be the max on CP 301 53.65%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:
Default Your Opinion- Ticket Sales on CP

The Mod Team would like your opinion. As the playoffs are just around the corner, the issue of ticket sales and scalping comes up. For a few years now, scalping is "not illegal" in Alberta. However on CP we have still not been permitting it. That is the question we have for our members, what would you like to see? Should we allow ticket sales over face value? Or should we keep things the way they are?

Some people have said they like the connection they have with other CPers; and it makes them feel a little more secure about buying from here. They are concerned that allowing over face value sales will diminish that. On the flip side, many CPers will sell their premium games on other websites; as they know they can sell for above face value.

How do you feel?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Poll is now live.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

let the market dictate price. as you noted, it is not illegal.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

For the playoffs? They should be able to sell them for whatever they can get imo.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Free Market
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Let people sell over face value elsewhere, or at most, put a cap of % over face.

This place should be a hockey community first, where people can offload tickets to other fans second. If you allow over face, we'll get people whose only purpose is to sell their tickets (after a few token posts to reach the minimum post count).
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 75 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
1_Flames_Fan, atb, Barnet Flame, Ben_in_Canada, bluck, Bohica, bubbsy, CalgaryFan1988, cam_wmh, Charcot, codfather, Cole436, Cowboy89, Cuz, DazzlinDino, Deegee, Delthefunky, Demzy84, DoubleK, Fire in the disco, Flamesguy_SJ, FlamesNation23, FlamesPuck12, Flamezzz, Frequitude, Funkhouser, GeoRock, getbak, Gondi Stylez, Hitman88, iggyformayor, iggypop, Itse, jayocal, jkflames, keenan87, Kipper is King, kkaleR, KTrain, lambeburger, Lanny'sDaMan, Lil Pedro, longsuffering, Mass_nerder, Mazrim, Mightyfire89, monkeyman, MrMike, Nehkara, PepsiFree, PsYcNeT, Redliner, REDVAN, rogermexico, Scorch, Since1984, SmoggyFlamesFan, Split98, StAlbertFlame, Stauner, Stillman16, stone hands, Superfraggle, surferguy, Tailgator, taxbuster, terryclancy, topfiverecords, Tron_fdc, vennegoor of hesselink, woob, Yobbo, ZedMan, Zevo, zukes
Old 03-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always liked the fact I could buy tickets at no more than face value on this site. I have had season tickets for 3 years so have not used the forum to purchase for a long time. If someone wants to sell their ticket more than face there are several other options to do it. I like that this site sells for face value and you know a hardcore fan is getting the ticket.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let the market decide!
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #9
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just because people are allowed to sell for over face value doesn't mean they will (ignoring playoffs of course). Let the market set the price.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #10
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let the market set the prices. Heck, there are already people bending the 'face value' rules when selling the more in demand games.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
Ullr
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Post your tickets elsewhere if you are going to inflate the prices.

Also the poll has a conflict of interest as the people who currently resell their tickets on Calgarypuck are going to vote yes to inflating pricing.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ullr For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who sells quite a few I struggle to even get STH cost this year.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #13
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
If you allow over face, we'll get people whose only purpose is to sell their tickets (after a few token posts to reach the minimum post count).
Wouldn't you want "real" hockey fans in this community to have access to the cheapest tickets possible? The face value (which changes based on Ticketmaster demand btw - so what is face?) ceiling doesn't do anything to help fans in this forum attend games.

Games that are being sold at a discount are by far the cheapest on CP compared to other Stubhub and TM and games that are being sold at a premium for the most part just aren't sold here. Having a ceiling does nothing for CP members wanting to attend games because the market price is the market price and the seller will act accordingly. CP benefits because there are no fees and taxes on sales; they do not benefit from an artificial ceiling.

As for scalpers, it's much easier for professional scalpers to sell stubhub and other places than manually selling in this forum through DMs. If you are worried about "professional scalpers" just don't buy tickets from them or ban them... You can easily tell by the number of games they sell or their post history. Making multiple accounts to sell tickets probably isnt even worth their time.

Last edited by ST20; 03-22-2019 at 02:35 PM.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ST20 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
As someone who sells quite a few I struggle to even get STH cost this year.
I support a price ceiling so long as there is a price floor. If max is the Face Value, then Season Ticket Cost should be the minimum.

you CPers are hawks and wait for desperate sellers. I said no to a low ball offer 1 hour before a game once because I said the cost is my minimum, he responded "Well now they are useless to you!!!"
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #15
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post

Also the poll has a conflict of interest as the people who currently resell their tickets on Calgarypuck are going to vote yes to inflating pricing.
I don't think you know how economics works... Sellers who sell on CP basically sell for market price - you aren't really getting a discount from the seller on CP... You are saving on fees and taxes. If the market price was higher than "face" then they will sell it somewhere else. No one has the ability to inflate prices on CP. The market price is set by all sellers which if you take a quick look at stubhub or TM you can see the market price is. People won't sell on CP if they can make more on other platforms which are easier to sell on.

Yes, I sell tickets here because it is difficult to go to all games. I also prefer to sell tickets here because I hate TM and StubHub because of their ridiculous amount of fees and it's nice selling to someone who is likely a Flames fan.

This is my last rant/post on this subject. To each their own!

Last edited by ST20; 03-22-2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: grammar and context
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #16
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr View Post

I live in SW Ontario and I voted yes to inflated prices. The market sets the price, I don't see anything wrong with that.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #17
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Let people sell over face value elsewhere, or at most, put a cap of % over face.
I will second this:

Regular season - max at face value
Playoffs - can go over face value, but a cap on the max (maybe 50% or 100% over face value?)
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #18
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think CP is the right "market" for for-profit sales. Let ticket-exchange websites deal with that. I would rather the buy/sell forum not be diluted by people trying to gouge for sold-out games or deal with issues like tickets being offered for sale on multiple sites. I am much less likely to look for tickets here if I have to search to find ones that are reasonably priced.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #19
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm torn on this.

I've bought quite a few tickets via CP over the years, but never been on the selling side. I appreciate the fact I'm buying from someone trustworthy, and I'm guessing the seller enjoys the same benefits. You "know" who is buying them, and that they are likely attending the game and cheering for the team in Red.

But playoffs have a different level of desire. If the seller wants to make a profit instead of attend the games, they have the ability to do that with a few platforms already in place.

I'd say allow over face value for playoffs. It also allows the seller to potentially post the tickets for sale here at slightly less value than they would on stubhub, ticketmaster etc as there are no fees here. So I think a buyer may potentially still get a better deal here than elsewhere.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #20
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
I don't think CP is the right "market" for for-profit sales. Let ticket-exchange websites deal with that. I would rather the buy/sell forum not be diluted by people trying to gouge for sold-out games or deal with issues like tickets being offered for sale on multiple sites. I am much less likely to look for tickets here if I have to search to find ones that are reasonably priced.
Most CPers are not looking to make a huge markup on tickets but I don't think they should have to sell tickets to a game they can't get to at face value either. I think what you will see is people being able to get tickets to big games cheaper than StubHub or other scalping sites but more than face value which I think is more than fair.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: