Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #41
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have two of these, one for each cat. They LOVE them. Not only do they both scratch in them all the time, they sleep in them as well. The only item I have purchased that actually is worth buying, they both use them every day.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #42
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is CoCo, the Senegal Parrot. He is 1 year old.

He enjoys biting the hand that feeds him (earlobes too).
He takes great pleasure in destroying things he must not touch.
He says 'hello CoCo', 'peek-a-boo', 'love you', and 'night-night'.
I like him soooo much more than I ever thought I would. He's pretty amazing.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #43
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mr. Bojangles is an awesome name for a cat.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #44
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post

This is Stella, she is a Husky mix. She is about 6 months old in this picture.

This is Stella all grown up. She is about 11 years old now.
She is a beauty. And she must be fun to call, "STELLLLLLLLAAAAA!!!!"
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 01:43 PM   #45
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
This is CoCo, the Senegal Parrot. He is 1 year old.

He enjoys biting the hand that feeds him (earlobes too).
He takes great pleasure in destroying things he must not touch.
He says 'hello CoCo', 'peek-a-boo', 'love you', and 'night-night'.
I like him soooo much more than I ever thought I would. He's pretty amazing.
We used to raise Senegals. Super nice birds.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #46
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Haha yeah I must admit this is one of the reasons I named her Stella.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #47
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We used to raise Senegals. Super nice birds.
Nice!
Intending to allow him to be flighted. Started his clumsy flying in April, once flight feathers grew back. He is clumsy no more, fast and beautiful in flight. He escaped once though, and we were very fortunate to get him back. We think we have eliminated the possibility of this happening again - but I'm not so sure. The gf was devastated when he escaped...
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #48
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had a cat when I was young who meowed really loudly and really long, and it sounded exactly like that. So we named him Brando.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #49
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I use the regular $10 brush from petsmart but I have a few friends that swear by the $50 one called the Eliminator? Something like that. Forget the exact name. It is also sold at petsmart and is super expensive. They say for their long hair cats it works wonders. My short hair doesn't need it that much so I didn't slurge.
It's called the Furminator. I have one for my dog, and I swear by it. It's actually amazing how well it works. For a heavy shedding dog or cat, I would recommend it, though they are fairly expensive!
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zzibradleyizz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #50
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzibradleyizz View Post
It's called the Furminator. I have one for my dog, and I swear by it. It's actually amazing how well it works. For a heavy shedding dog or cat, I would recommend it, though they are fairly expensive!
+1 for the furminator. Gets out most of my dog's undercoat which is a lifesaver for him in the summer.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #51
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't have a picture atm but I have a buddy who has a hairless cat named rumpleforskin
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #52
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit of research on the Furminator suggests that it's not a good option for long-haired cats like a ragdoll, which is what that little guy is. It removes fur from the undercoat that isn't dead, like pulling hair out by the roots.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #53
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
+1 for the furminator. Gets out most of my dog's undercoat which is a lifesaver for him in the summer.
My cat groomer (yes I get my pussycat shaved) says that the Furminator actually cuts the hair vs just brushing out loose ones which is why it "appears" to be working so well. "Brush" long enough and they'll go bald.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #54
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Litter box: buy a big rubbermade or similar storage box, the ones that are quite deep, and cut a hole in it starting a few CMs from the bottom. Fill with litter. It'll keep everything contained as some cats pee straight out not down. You might want to keep the lid up until the cat gets used to it. Also if you get one with smooth sides that works best. Some of them have a lip near the top and that just collects litter. Check with whoever you're getting the cat from as to what litter they use to help keep things consistent.

Food: as someone said don't cheap out, get good stuff. Again, find out what the cat is currently eating and get that initially. The breeder or whoever you are getting the cat from probably knows best. Try and avoid introducing people food if at all possible or the cat will be begging at every meal. I'm not sure it's even possible to do that as cats always seem to want our food but it might work with a kitten.

Travel: the cat may not like to travel. Ours didn't. Car rides were stressful, plane rides would have be awful.

Nails: the tip our vet showed us was to use a large set of human clippers and cut your cat's nails vertically, instead of cutting the nails as we do holding the clippers horizontal. The reason for that was cutting cat nails from the top and bottom crushes the nail a fair amount and can hurt more. Also be patient with nails, if the cat only let's you cut one or two at a time, that's fine. Just do it every day or so and reinforce the cutting process with treats. We found it easier to cut nails if my wife held the cat in her arms while I cut.

The cardboard scratchers seem to work awesome for most cats. Get a few so the cat doesn't use your furniture. If the cat starts in on a corner of the couch put some tinfoil around it to stop it. Also when they do scratch in the wrong spot calmly take the cat over to the right scratching area and help the cat scratch there. They usually clue in.

A feather on a string and something shiny is a great play toy. You get to interact with the cat and the cat gets to practice natural hunting skills. It also helps tire them out so you get a better sleep, and keeps them active/healthy. If you have stairs tossing a toy up the stairs or even a ball of paper can be hours of fun and good exercise for the cat.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #55
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Nails: the tip our vet showed us was to use a large set of human clippers and cut your cat's nails vertically, instead of cutting the nails as we do holding the clippers horizontal. The reason for that was cutting cat nails from the top and bottom crushes the nail a fair amount and can hurt more. Also be patient with nails, if the cat only let's you cut one or two at a time, that's fine. Just do it every day or so and reinforce the cutting process with treats. We found it easier to cut nails if my wife held the cat in her arms while I cut.
This is a big one. Get them used to you playing with their paws early, and you'll be ever grateful. We have one cat who refuses to have her paws touched, and the other who loves nail-trimming time. I usually hold him while my wife trims the nails (using a special pet claw cutter, looks kinda like a mini-guillotine). The cat loves it since we also bribe him with treats. A treat to start, one per finished paw with no fuss (he gets set down between each paw, to 'reset' himself), and 2 from each of us after. He leaves nail clipping time one happy cat.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #56
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

We started with the guillotine clippers and found it crushed our cat's claws. We talked to the vet about it and he told us about using the people nail clippers. They were actually easier to work with/handle and seemed easier to see the quick.

Agreed though, playing with the paws and getting them used to being handled is a good idea as is touching the paws with the clippers and using them while petting the cat do keep them from associating the clippers with pain. And don't cut too close to the quick, as the closer you get the more it hurts. Finally don't get them declawed. That's like cutting off your finger down to the first knuckle.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #57
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Left to right - Bailey, Farley (Derp) & Finnigan. Bailey went to live with my oldest son in December, the other 2 belong to my daughter. They are all Bichon/Shih Tzus.

This is Leeloo - she's a Lovebird. And a brat. And a ton of fun and laughs.

And the budgies, from left to right - Castiel (Cas), Frodo, Amy & Rory

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #58
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meow Foundation sells amazing cat beds. My cat absolutely loves hers. They cost $25 but it supports an organization that does really good work.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #59
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
My two, in all their glory.

Top one is all business, albeit operating out of a cardboard box.

Bottom one is clearly stoned off his ass and possibly even trippin' balls.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #60
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since I've sort of hijacked the thread to get new kitten advice, I'll just compensate you all with cute pictures of said kitten, who I am thinking I might name Newton... but no decisions.

Spoiler!

To that point, does anyone have any insight into pet insurance? A friend of mine was just handed a $3500 bill for her dog's dental surgery, and that's kind of got me spooked. But then, her dog was a rescue and the issue was pre-existing, whereas I hopefully will be able to keep this dude in good health. Still, things happen. Thoughts?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: