Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #2421
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I like the idea of using smaller standoffs. Would you cut the siding to accommodate those or drop them right on top of the siding?
Actually, when I installed a service mast and I put them under the siding, using this tool to disconnect the strips. you can use 3/4" plywood under the siding in each run and then the siding won't squish when you lag.

Dont know why I didn't think of that earlier.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/wis...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #2422
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Actually, when I installed a service mast and I put them under the siding, using this tool to disconnect the strips. you can use 3/4" plywood under the siding in each run and then the siding won't squish when you lag.

Dont know why I didn't think of that earlier.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/wis...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I don't really understand what you mean. How does plywood under the siding prevent it from being squished by a board outside of it?
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #2423
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

With my gate I had a small section of fence off the house before the gate itself (~1 foot) so I had a post right up against the house. I secured the top of it to the house with a small L bracket and placed it so it was oriented in the 'indented' portion of my vinyl siding. No squishing the siding, it's hardly noticeable, and it's been holding the post securely now for 20 years.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #2424
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I don't really understand what you mean. How does plywood under the siding prevent it from being squished by a board outside of it?
Just put blocks in where the profile of the siding provides a gap. I guess it depends on your profile how easy that is. I have this siding and it worked well.

Even under this you should be able to get away with some thinner blocking.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #2425
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I got so lucky with this weather. I've been doing an exterior reno since May - windows, doors, siding, rock on the house, new patio, flower beds, new trees, new bushes, loam, sod, front steps and all the weird miscellaneous stuff that goes along with it. Yesterday afternoon, the staining was finished, which was the last step. It had last night and all day today to cure in reasonable weather before the crap weather comes. I can't believe we wrapped it up in time and I'm so happy it's all done, although the finish line is somewhat unceremonious. Kind of feel like somebody should throw a party for me or something.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #2426
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I got so lucky with this weather. I've been doing an exterior reno since May - windows, doors, siding, rock on the house, new patio, flower beds, new trees, new bushes, loam, sod, front steps and all the weird miscellaneous stuff that goes along with it. Yesterday afternoon, the staining was finished, which was the last step. It had last night and all day today to cure in reasonable weather before the crap weather comes. I can't believe we wrapped it up in time and I'm so happy it's all done, although the finish line is somewhat unceremonious. Kind of feel like somebody should throw a party for me or something.
Can do! Just need keys to your garage and a referral for the Port-a-potty company you normally use so we can try and get a repeat customer discount.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #2427
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking to drywall my garage. Insulation is already there, and I don't think I need mudding. Just need the panels in place.

Anyone know what this would cost for an average 2 car garage?
Old 09-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #2428
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I just sold my drywall lift!

Take some pictures and put dimensions on Homestars, you should get some quick estimates back. I tihnk for mien material was about $1000, and you can roughly guess 3x cost for install, so 3-4k is my guess.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #2429
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Things to consider, you should still use fire tape on the joints if you aren't mudding and if you leave drywall exposed without painting it will absorb moisture, odors and turn yellow over time and degrade accordingly. One coat of mud on the joints and a quick paintjob should be within your ability and is worth the effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #2430
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, the transformation paint makes is huge. Really brightens it up. Old yellow drywall is gross.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:14 PM   #2431
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow thanks for the info Fuzz and speede5!
Old 09-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #2432
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Who has experience blowing out irrigation lines? I’m just using my little 8 gallon air compressor and I’m down to small mist coming from the sprinkler heads. Do I need to do more? I don’t have the ability to keep sustained pressure higher than 50 psi with this compressor.

This is my first experience doing this

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:12 PM   #2433
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Who has experience blowing out irrigation lines? I’m just using my little 8 gallon air compressor and I’m down to small mist coming from the sprinkler heads. Do I need to do more? I don’t have the ability to keep sustained pressure higher than 50 psi with this compressor.

This is my first experience doing this
I did this for a friend once and I never did get all the water out, but if you think about it if the lines are that clear whatever is in there will not damage anything if it freezes. The one thing I did as the heads starting blowing air and not water was put a brick on the close heads so all the air went out the farthest at max pressure.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #2434
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I did this for a friend once and I never did get all the water out, but if you think about it if the lines are that clear whatever is in there will not damage anything if it freezes. The one thing I did as the heads starting blowing air and not water was put a brick on the close heads so all the air went out the farthest at max pressure.
I’m pretty sure I got most of the water out or at least enough that it wouldn’t blow a line. That said I like the idea of the bricks to push the air all the way to the end.

It’s tricky with the small compressor as once you dump the full tank into the lines, you only get a tiny window of full pressure before it drops off quickly.

Thanks for the tip.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 08:22 AM   #2435
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like as good an excuse as any to go buy a new, more powerful, bigger, badder air accelerator.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #2436
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the process of closing up a purchase on a home and it has one of those old school Nu Tone intercom systems all over the home. What options are available for retrofitting these things to be functional/for new uses and a modern acceptable look?

Sealing them up seems like a pain in the ass. I noticed a reddit thread where someone 3D printed screens with a hole to mount Amazon echo dots, but it's a custom project.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #2437
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm in the process of closing up a purchase on a home and it has one of those old school Nu Tone intercom systems all over the home. What options are available for retrofitting these things to be functional/for new uses and a modern acceptable look?

Sealing them up seems like a pain in the ass. I noticed a reddit thread where someone 3D printed screens with a hole to mount Amazon echo dots, but it's a custom project.
It really depends on what type of wiring was brought to the intercoms and where they terminate.

The amount of options available is staggering now, I'm a big fan of speakers throughout the house, but zoned lighting control is another option.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #2438
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought an acre of land and am building a custom home for myself. I am acting as general contractor, which is something that I have never done before. Been many bumps along the way but we are starting to make progress. The concrete forms for the basement walls of the house have been set-up and will be poured today. After which they will set-up for the walls of the detached garage and adjoining tunnel.

Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #2439
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Wow, what a project. You may have to make your own thread. Good luck with things. Looks like it'll be really cool.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #2440
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda puts my home building thread to shame.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote