Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Used car - private seller with dealer plate?

Hey CP,

I've read through some old used car threads that have been very helpful in my search.

However I can't find an answer to this. The private (kijiji) seller has M##### plate which supposedly is a dealership plate? How would a private seller have a dealer plate?

I haven't done a carfax yet but I assume this might shed some light on it too.

Also, does rebuilt status affect insurance rates?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't buy a rebuild status unless you can see the specific invoice detailing the repairs made. Also google the VIN it's not as good as a paid report but sometimes doing that will show the car being listed for sale in many places over the months. Meaning they can't sell the car.

I don't know how a private seller would have a dealer plate, if it was me I'd run away.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Hey CP,

I've read through some old used car threads that have been very helpful in my search.

However I can't find an answer to this. The private (kijiji) seller has M##### plate which supposedly is a dealership plate? How would a private seller have a dealer plate?

I haven't done a carfax yet but I assume this might shed some light on it too.

Also, does rebuilt status affect insurance rates?
Dont know about now, but anyone used to be able to get a dealer plate and guys that "flipped" cars often did.

It allows for a blanket insurance/registration coverage and allows test drives etc without having to get new registration every time he buys/sells a new vehicle.

I would ask him where he purchased this car and get it checked out as these vehicles are often obtained at auction and auction cars can be very sketchy at times.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sold my car 4 years ago to a guy who flipped used cars and had a dealer plate. He also worked at the BMW dealership (used side), so he may have procured it/borrowed it from there.

So I wouldn't worry about the dealer plate; I'd be more concerned if its a rebuild. Unless you're getting huge savings off the normal price for the car, I'd avoid a rebuild like the plague. Sure they "can" be fine and well done, but unless you're saving 40%+, not worth the risk.
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Don't buy a rebuild status unless you can see the specific invoice detailing the repairs made. Also google the VIN it's not as good as a paid report but sometimes doing that will show the car being listed for sale in many places over the months. Meaning they can't sell the car.

I don't know how a private seller would have a dealer plate, if it was me I'd run away.
The problem is that they told me they bought it with a rebuilt status so wouldn't have access to the invoice.

Apparently he bought it from his work (he is ESL so some may have been lost in translation)? Which made it sound it was a commercial vehicle at some point OR he just bought it from someone at work?

The fact that it's a 2016 and they are the second owner already trying to sell it bothers me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I sold my car 4 years ago to a guy who flipped used cars and had a dealer plate. He also worked at the BMW dealership (used side), so he may have procured it/borrowed it from there.

So I wouldn't worry about the dealer plate; I'd be more concerned if its a rebuild. Unless you're getting huge savings off the normal price for the car, I'd avoid a rebuild like the plague. Sure they "can" be fine and well done, but unless you're saving 40%+, not worth the risk.
Thanks for the info. It would be about a 20% savings. Getting some flags on it though so now I'm not so sure.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.

Last edited by TheSutterDynasty; 09-29-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How much is the car worth? My advice is unless this is rare/hard to find vehicle don't buy it, get one without a rebuild status and not from a guy that may or may not be flipping cars.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dont buy rebuilt status vehicles if you do not know what was the extent of damage or who repaired it. Run away and run fast. I have seen vehicles with severe structural damage put back together with bumper repair material. The discount on the price of the vehicle is not worth the headaches when you start to have issues later on.

Last edited by Hevishot; 09-29-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Because I cannot spell
Hevishot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hevishot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
Dont buy rebuilt status vehicles if you do not know what was the extent of damage or who repaired it. Run away and run fast. I have seen vehicles with severe structural damage put back together with bumper repair material. The discount in the price of the vehicle is not worth the headaches when you start to have issues later on.
Seeing this answer more and more as I'm googling.

He said it was cosmetic damage on the passenger door that insurance had repaired; but again this was the owner previous to them so I don't think I'd have a way to verify anything.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think you get rebuilt status for cosmetic damage on a door. So now he is lying about it, too.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Seeing this answer more and more as I'm googling.

He said it was cosmetic damage on the passenger door that insurance had repaired; but again this was the owner previous to them so I don't think I'd have a way to verify anything.

Hes full of it. If insurance repaired it the vehicle would not be branded salvage. Likely it was hit on the door and had structural damage and insurance totaled it. They bought it back from impact and Billy Bob rebuilt it using whatever parts they could find for cheap.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #11
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expensive cars often hit the rebuild limit on a minor repair, I has a Merc SL 500 and a wing dent cost so much it counted as a rebuild.

My concern though would be the combination of Private sale and dealer plate, he's a curber, buying cars and patching them up and selling them on, if the car is really cheap and you accept you will have to spend a chunk of change on it probably quickly and it will have no resale value then go ahead.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for all the great answers. He had also his own inspection done which I found a little sketchy too (I would have called the place to ask for details if we were going to follow up with him).

So it sounds like a good requirement to have is first time buyer with no accidents/damage. Luckily there are enough of these models out there that we can afford to be picky.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #13
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So it sounds like a good requirement to have is first time buyer with no accidents/damage.
Personally I wouldn’t be too concerned if it’s a single-owner if there’s good maintenance records - but definitely no accidents/damage.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #14
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How would a private seller have a dealer plate?
He could be one of those auction rats and has no real idea of what he's selling.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #15
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for all the great answers. He had also his own inspection done which I found a little sketchy too (I would have called the place to ask for details if we were going to follow up with him).

So it sounds like a good requirement to have is first time buyer with no accidents/damage. Luckily there are enough of these models out there that we can afford to be picky.
A guy who’s got enough access to get a dealer plate also has access to a guy who can provide an dubious and vague inspection report.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote