Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2022, 03:26 PM   #101
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Guy hasn't won in a month because he hasn't played in a month. And the team had their worst sag in that stretch of games.

Don't agree with the logic on this one from Darryl.

Markstrom has been fine, but also only been winning games where his workload was greatly limited.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:40 PM   #102
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
That’s not what it is saying
Flames have only been behind after 40 minutes 10x this entire season

That is impressive IMO

People were crying that even Montreal has a comeback win after 40...yeah 1 and they have trailed 24 times.

Last edited by dino7c; 01-28-2022 at 03:42 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 03:50 PM   #103
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Guy hasn't won in a month because he hasn't played in a month. And the team had their worst sag in that stretch of games.

Don't agree with the logic on this one from Darryl.

Markstrom has been fine, but also only been winning games where his workload was greatly limited.
His response doesn't make sense because it's just typical Darryl defensive speak. He's never going to come out and say he had a hunch and it didn't work out and at times will be purposely abstruse when answering questions he doesn't like. Maybe Vladar had a poor practice or something but Darryl's always been one to ride his starting goaltender.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:02 PM   #104
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
His response doesn't make sense because it's just typical Darryl defensive speak. He's never going to come out and say he had a hunch and it didn't work out and at times will be purposely abstruse when answering questions he doesn't like. Maybe Vladar had a poor practice or something but Darryl's always been one to ride his starting goaltender.
It is one of his flaws all right. I have no idea wither some of the backups for Kipper were actually bad or just never got the chance over a better sample size to evaluate. I mean, we now know McBackup was competent.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:38 PM   #105
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's a really good goaltender that lacks consistency. I don't think any fans are pining for the days of Smith, Rittich, Elliott, Johnson, etc as Markstrom's highs are far and away better than any of those goaltenders. The issue is that he seems to have a difficult time maintaining a high level of play as he has a lot of dips and games where he's letting in soft goals. He wasn't good enough last night but it was a bad idea to play him back to back in the first place.
The thing is though alot of those "weak" goals are overexaggerated and they're goals that when the Flames score them they're "snipes" or being resilient. They aren't unstoppable goals but they aren't goals that there's no excuse why he shouldn't stop them. He gets called out alot for screened and redirected goals which is crazy.

He wasn't amazing(wasn't horrible either) last night but even if he was it wouldn't have mattered. The score might have even been worse with Vladar in net. The Flames just didn't generate the type of opportunities that St. Louis did. There were too many shots right at the goalie and one and done chances.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:49 PM   #106
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It is one of his flaws all right. I have no idea wither some of the backups for Kipper were actually bad or just never got the chance over a better sample size to evaluate. I mean, we now know McBackup was competent.
McBackup didn’t play for Sutter. And Sutter only coached Kipper for a season and a half. He did ride him pretty hard in his one full season but Sauve was a horrible backup. He acquired Brian Boucher but he was maybe worse.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:51 PM   #107
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
McBackup didn’t play for Sutter. And Sutter only coached Kipper for a season and a half. He did ride him pretty hard in his one full season but Sauve was a horrible backup. He acquired Brian Boucher but he was maybe worse.
I guess I was including GM time.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:53 PM   #108
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The thing is though alot of those "weak" goals are overexaggerated and they're goals that when the Flames score them they're "snipes" or being resilient. They aren't unstoppable goals but they aren't goals that there's no excuse why he shouldn't stop them. He gets called out alot for screened and redirected goals which is crazy.

He wasn't amazing(wasn't horrible either) last night but even if he was it wouldn't have mattered. The score might have even been worse with Vladar in net. The Flames just didn't generate the type of opportunities that St. Louis did. There were too many shots right at the goalie and one and done chances.
no kidding, I agree with the "didn't get the big save" or not enough of them anyway but where are these soft goals?

Weakest goal of the game was the one the Flames scored
Old 01-28-2022, 07:54 PM   #109
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what I saw

https://moneypuck.com/g.htm?id=2021020764
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 03:35 AM   #110
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was a spirited affair. Calgary looked spent at times but a few guys had good legs. If backlund scores on one of his extra chances beyond his lone goal scored already, the flames could have rebounded. Who knows? The reality was we couldnt finish those chances we had. He played well but it had been sometime since he showed us his 50 point ability. You know chucky was feeling it being home again yet just couldn’t capitalize. It was a closer game than the score showed but St. Louis looked like the team I thought we were supposed to play in Calgary. That game wasn’t competitive at all. Flames owned them. St. Louis and berube have too much pride and fear he wields over those guys is too real lol. Schenn is a beast. O Riley is a beast. They were more noticeable than lindy.

Lindy is a fine center ice man but he just isn’t a number one by the eye test. I know his “stats” say different but there are a lot of centers I would take over him. He has been very good for us but he’s not a dominating physical force nor has the unbelievable and consistent offensive dominance to our shine strong players he matches up with.

Zadorov looked sloppy and brain farts in coverage cost us at a crucial time. He easily could have followed his man down low and prevented that shot instead of puck watching. But man that guy has some ability if only he could take his game to the next level. A bit frustrating.

I actually liked monnys game. It’s come a long way since the start of the year. He looked really fluid out there.

Regarding marky- sutter made the right play. There will be a lot of chances for vladar to become more powerful in his sith hatred for his enemies !! Marky hadn’t done much the game before. That game vs Columbus was a tale of two vastly different groups. Imagine being them with a player like laine ? They looked putrid. The flames didn’t have a hard time but couldve won the rare back to back. Still a piece or two away that can show some grit and offence.

Pavelski is probably sky high of a price rn. Maybe giroux? His stats seem like he’s still driving play just on a team with ristolainen. That team stinks. Tanev is so much better. He even looked really good against st Louis. He was much more willing to skate. So close on a couple of occasions. I think Kravtsov is good value to give good ice too. We need size and scoring ability to play through physical defensive units.

I think DJS flames is right, just one of those games where the back to back stats get u. It’s a Herculean effort to play two nhl games in back to back days and be competitive when the other team was just spanked by u four days earlier and was licking their chops to play a tired Calgary team just getting in from Columbus for redemption.

Calgary routinely deals with the worst travel and schedules. It should be par for the course. And the refs still begrudge wideman I feel. Poor wideman was concussed and never knew what he was doing but the flames are still paying for it. I mean that linesman lost his career. Dangerous game.

Flames look like a one line team most nights and St. Louis came at us in waves of center depth and offensive wingers. Plus their defensive structure did do a good job of keeping the flames to limited zone time, out of the crease areas for rebounds. Sure the expected goals for showed that they flames out chanced them but husso is why those stats are just numbers and the game is inscrutable in that sense and goalies stealgames or lack of finishing sinks you at the pro level.

Flames had chances but I’m still seeing positive signs until the stretch run is fully arrives here. Post all star break things are gonna start seeing some separation. Flames wretched schedule is gonna be a major obstacle to overcome. I hope the refs take it easy on us.

Last edited by Ziggy Lidstrom; 01-29-2022 at 03:42 AM.
Ziggy Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:53 AM   #111
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Postgame links
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/rec...s=3&final=true
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/2367385
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap140331.html
https://stats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl/recap/140331
https://www.espn.com/nhl/game/_/gameId/401349897