Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2023, 09:59 AM   #1
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Daily Show with ...?

Hadn't seen it talked about much at all, but most would probably know by now that Trevor Noah left The Daily Show and since there has been a rotation of hosts every week. Was curious about everyone's thoughts on who the replacement should be. Honestly, I love Noah, but felt that him being, not only international, but basically brand new to the US, sort of took the bite out of the show as he brought more of a curiosity to the show versus the visceral emotion that Stewart often had (Stewart's Apple+ show is awesome btw).

Anyways for those who haven't been following I recommend you check out some episodes by all the hosts and see what you think. It's been an interesting experiment I think. Order of appearance has been:

Leslie Jones
Wanda Sykes
DL Hughley
Chelsea Handler
Sarah Silverman
Hasan Minaj
Marlon Wayans
Kal Penn
Al Franken
John Leguizamo
Roy Wood Jr.

And sounds like there will be a few more. For me Roy Wood Jr has been a standout. Seems to be the most natural. Honestly thought he should have taken over the first time. Other top shows for me were Franken, Leguizamo, Penn, Handler. The rest have been pretty middle of the road and Minaj was awful. Not sure what happened to him, I used to really like him a lot. He's become unbearable.

Thoughts? Anyone else you'd like to see have a crack? Sounds like Sam Bee may appear. Maybe Klepper gets a stint?

Last edited by Coach; 04-08-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:03 AM   #2
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started watching but I'm not a fan of the rotating host format. I thought Jones, Sykes and Hughley were awful (Hughley especially awful.) I never came back for more although I generally tend to like Hasan Minhaj and Silverman so I may look up those episodes at some point.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:14 AM   #3
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I started watching but I'm not a fan of the rotating host format. I thought Jones, Sykes and Hughley were awful (Hughley especially awful.) I never came back for more although I generally tend to like Hasan Minhaj and Silverman so I may look up those episodes at some point.
Like I said I thought Hasan was awful. Silverman I found to be decent.

I recommend the most recent few. It's been a good stint and it really does feel like Roy Wood has it in the bag. From how Kal Penn spoke about it, it really does seem like (at least a few of them) are actually auditioning for it.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:23 AM   #4
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't watched an episode of TDS since shortly after Stewart left. To me he was the show.

I'd give Lewis Black a shot.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:51 PM   #5
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I haven't watched an episode of TDS since shortly after Stewart left. To me he was the show.

I'd give Lewis Black a shot.
I don't think Lewis has the mental capacity or overall ability to host a show like that anymore. I love Lewis and I watch his podcast on YouTube every week and he seems to be really slipping over the last two years or so.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:09 PM   #6
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't think Lewis has the mental capacity or overall ability to host a show like that anymore. I love Lewis and I watch his podcast on YouTube every week and he seems to be really slipping over the last two years or so.
That's too bad to hear.

Damn, I didn't realize he is 74.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 01:11 PM   #7
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hasan gets my vote.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:47 PM   #8
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
That's too bad to hear.

Damn, I didn't realize he is 74.
His mom also died about six months ago and it seemed like that hit him really hard. He has really dialed back the amount of time he spends working and traveling which is part of the reason why I don't think he could commit to being a host.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:52 PM   #9
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never seen a show nosedive and become as unfunny as it did when Noah took over.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:03 PM   #10
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I saw about half of the temp hosts. I liked Wood and I thought Handler was very good.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:20 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on.....give Levar Burton a chance!

You never know...and maybe he can inspire some people to read?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:37 PM   #12
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kal Penn was a writer for Obama's White House if I recall correctly, so I have to assume he's incredibly intelligent and has the political education to carry the show. He can also be really entertaining as well as shown with his movies.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #13
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Penn has definitely stood out as one of the better ones for sure. He was the one I saw interviewed about it and be vocal about "wanting the job". That made me think a few are probably just filling in, but a few are actually auditioning.

I do recommend at least the 5 I mentioned. I felt like they were bringing some interesting perspective to it versus just reading the scripts and go along with the news like I feel most of the other were.

Last edited by Coach; 04-08-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:45 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Kal Penn was a writer for Obama's White House if I recall correctly, so I have to assume he's incredibly intelligent and has the political education to carry the show. He can also be really entertaining as well as shown with his movies.
I havent watched it, but thats probably a pretty good call.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:47 PM   #15
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Penn would be a great choice
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:58 PM   #16
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Roy Wood Jr by a country mile AINEC.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:31 PM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roy Wood Jr. is pretty funny if you just wanted it to be kinda irreverent and silly again, Stewart was that way a lot. Penn would be more serious. Minhaj is awful across the board.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:48 PM   #18
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the hosting schedule through the end of May...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1639285148569989120

The expectation is that they'll announce the new host in May, who will start in the fall, although, that's not guaranteed.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:50 PM   #19
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s tough to find someone that you’d want to watch for a whole show. Some of them are amazing in small roles but may not carry a show over the long haul.

Ronny Chieng is hilarious. Roy Wood is also great. Leguizamo had some good bits as well.

Even if Minhaj isn’t as funny as Chieng and Wood, I think he is a guy who could carry the show.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:49 PM   #20
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't a huge fan of The Daily Show with Trevor Noah. He is funny and really likeable, but he just didn't have the edge that Jon Stewart had. Which is fine, because it's better to do your own thing than try to copy someone, but it just didn't connect with me in the same way.

I haven't watched the guest hosts, but there are some good names on there. I am curious how Sarah Silverman was. It seems like something that she would be good at.

I think someone like DL Hughley would probably be a really good choice.

Just throwing it out there, but someone like David Cross would probably crush it as well.