Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #41
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Amazing how knowledgeable you are compared to those of us who disagree. Maybe it's you who's looking at things through rose coloured glasses.
No I don't think so. I think you guys weren't really paying attention and / or don't know what you were looking for. It's really the only explanation.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #42
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
9th OA + Zibenejad for Hamonic then Brooksi
One could argue that the value of Hamonic, Zibenejad and the 9OA would all be about equal. I think most would think that after a bit of a down year, Hamonic would have the least amount of value of that group.

Getting two of those things would be spectacular.

Why the rebuilding Rangers would do that is the tough question.

Presumably because they are sitting around dreaming up ways to help the Flames?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_sweet_dome View Post
Hamonic is absolutely the d man the Flames should be looking at trading.

Of course you're not getting the equivalent of what they gave up to get him last year but you can't let that sunk cost keep you from doing what's best for the team.

He's a #4 guy at best, basically provides 0 offence and while supposed to be a good defensive dman he's actually been bad at that for 3 consecutive years. Yes he's a good character guy and I'm sure he's good in the room but he's still very over-rated however because of his perceived value i think you could probly get a good 2nd line winger type in return for him like Nino Niederreiter or someone of that ilk and a trade like that really helps the team.

Would much rather keep Brodie over Hamonic and Brodie could also play the right side. Yes Brodie struggled last year but IMO his bounce back potential is much higher than Hamonic's.
I highly disagree. I think Hamonic looked worse than he was because his partner was terrible. There is no bounce back for Brodie, you can't fix poor decision making.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #44
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
As much as Brodie gave up the puck so did Hamonic. His passing at times was beyond mediocre as was his decision making.
This is flat out not true. Not even close.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #45
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"such a poor observation; beyond weak;or don't know what you were looking for"

I love your insightful knowledge. I'll go away and let you revel in your brilliance.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teroy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #46
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

This looks like throwing proverbial poop at a wall. Can hamonic be traded? Yes, almost anyone can. However I would be shocked if Hamonic was traded let alone anywhere outside of Western Canada. He is one of the few players on the team that plays tough, stands up for his teammates and has some mental strength.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #47
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The difference in his +/- with that of his partner speaks for itself.

Conroy summed it up nicely in March:

Quote:
“I was worried at the beginning of the year about all the expectations because it does take time for guys to gel with their new partner and the city,” said Conroy.

“He’s done everything we thought he would do. You saw him fight Nurse the other night. He plays hard. He does everything.

“He was never going to put up a lot of points – it was never what he was supposed to do. Because a lot was given up people are going to expect a lot in return but we’re happy with what he’s done.

“We wanted him to be a hard, shutdown defenceman. He sticks up for this teammates, his plus-minus is good, he moves the puck and he competes hard.”
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...tions-calgary/

From the same article in his own words:

Quote:
“I’m pretty comfortable in my own skin and I know who I am as a person and a player and I feel like I’ve played some pretty good hockey here,” said Hamonic, who has one goal, 10 assists and 70 penalty minutes this year.

“Trust me, I watch every shift that I play so I’m my hardest critic and I think I’ve been playing my best hockey. For me, if I’m not getting noticed, I’m doing my thing. I know what I need to do and any outside noise is just that – noise.

“You’re never as good as they say you are and never as bad as they say you are. If someone thinks that because I’m not putting up 35 or 40 points a year that I’m a terrible player, well, I challenge them to watch the game a little bit closer.”

Last edited by GoJetsGo; 06-22-2018 at 12:01 PM.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #48
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than Tkachuk, every body should be available for the right price. When i say the "right price" for some players its a huge overpayment and for others not so much.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #49
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Or it could be teams are asking the Flames for Fox in trade talks, but the Flames are saying they won't trade him.
I remember one of Flames management (I believe it was Conroy) saying that in year 2 and 3 a lot of other teams tried to get Gaudreau as a throw in. I expect the situation with Fox is similar.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #50
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was reaffirmed just last week that Brooks is an idiot, I doubt he got any smarter.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #51
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is just the Flames telling teams that Fox isn't available to drive up the price.

I think Fox will be traded for one of the Rangers 1st round picks, and that pick will be flipped for a roster player.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #52
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think this is just the Flames telling teams that Fox isn't available to drive up the price.

I think Fox will be traded for one of the Rangers 1st round picks, and that pick will be flipped for a roster player.
A pick from them and Zuccarello please.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I generally don't believe anything this time of year especially from Brooks who isn't connected out west. As with some other fans I have to side with the group that was pretty underwhelmed by Hamonic. He's not bad but being just a serviceable 2nd pairing defenseman isn't what I would envision for the king's ransom paid to acquire him. If the team can flip him for a top prospect or skill forward I would suck it up and move him as I don't think he's going to be a difference maker going forward for this team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #54
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
One could argue that the value of Hamonic, Zibenejad and the 9OA would all be about equal. I think most would think that after a bit of a down year, Hamonic would have the least amount of value of that group.

Getting two of those things would be spectacular.

Why the rebuilding Rangers would do that is the tough question.

Presumably because they are sitting around dreaming up ways to help the Flames?
Right over your head.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #55
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd hope that Tre does something to get a couple spots opened up for young guys to step in on D. moving stone would be ideal. brodie would be good to move as he seems to be difficult to play with for anyone not named Gio.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #56
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I generally don't believe anything this time of year especially from Brooks who isn't connected out west. As with some other fans I have to side with the group that was pretty underwhelmed by Hamonic. He's not bad but being just a serviceable 2nd pairing defenseman isn't what I would envision for the king's ransom paid to acquire him. If the team can flip him for a top prospect or skill forward I would suck it up and move him as I don't think he's going to be a difference maker going forward for this team.
The only time I would listen to Brooks is when people are telling him things from right down the street. I'll bet the Rangers were rebuffed in a Fox request.

The only thing I can thing of for Hamonic, is that Winnipeg is looking to move Myers because they are not going to be able to pay him, and they might be looking for a more affordable option. Winnipeg would have to overpay (or why would Calgary want to do it) but they do have a lot of interesting pieces there. Still, I don't see Hamonic moving.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #57
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure how valid this proposal is, as I don't know anything about the guy, but the chatter among Leafs insiders say it might be legit.

I wouldn't do this deal for Hamilton, obviously, but I don't hate the deal for Hamonic.

Thoughts?
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #58
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

^ news to me Hamonic and Hamilton are on different teams.

Great insite.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #59
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

They can get stuffed with that offer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #60
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Not sure how valid this proposal is, as I don't know anything about the guy, but the chatter among Leafs insiders say it might be legit.

I wouldn't do this deal for Hamilton, obviously, but I don't hate the deal for Hamonic.

Thoughts?
LOL. Tre should counter with the rights to Adam Olas Mattson for that package.