Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
That is definitely the approach someone should take after failing on their previous hire. I am wishing Peters the best of luck but what a close-minded search for a new coach.
People continue to fail to understand what happened this Spring. There was no coaching search because Treliving had already decided on his new coach long before he was even available. He conducted a pretty extensive search two years ago when he hired Gulutzan, and I suspect that very little has changed between then and now to warrant a new search. It was not "closed-minded" to hire Peters on the basis of the months of legwork, analysis and interviews that were done in the 2016 coaching search.

It seems abundantly clear that Treliving knew he wanted Peters at the outset, and decided to make a coaching change when he did because Peters was becoming available at that particular time. Whether he made a good decision remains to be seen, but we can't fault the GM for knowing who he wanted, and going and getting him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #22
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would borderline retired Sutter be as effective? Seems like the risk would be another Keenan situation. Family is his number one priority, and there is nothing wrong with that, but to coach at the NHL level, it is more than showing up to behind the bench.

IMO I'm glad that ship has sailed. I don't think it would have played out as everyone hoped. Same as wanting Iginla back, same as the Jagr experiment.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #23
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Peters does not work out and Calgary came calling, Sutter would still listen. My take is he is retired from coaching unless a position comes along in Alberta .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #24
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
That is definitely the approach someone should take after failing on their previous hire. I am wishing Peters the best of luck but what a close-minded search for a new coach.
Well, considering last time he was looking for a coach, they spoke to numerous candidates and had a thorough Process (TM) and ended up with Glen Gulutzan. Maybe a change of approach WAS called for in this case.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #25
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
People continue to fail to understand what happened this Spring. There was no coaching search because Treliving had already decided on his new coach long before he was even available. He conducted a pretty extensive search two years ago when he hired Gulutzan, and I suspect that very little has changed between then and now to warrant a new search. It was not "closed-minded" to hire Peters on the basis of the months of legwork, analysis and interviews that were done in the 2016 coaching search.

It seems abundantly clear that Treliving knew he wanted Peters at the outset, and decided to make a coaching change when he did because Peters was becoming available at that particular time. Whether he made a good decision remains to be seen, but we can't fault the GM for knowing who he wanted, and going and getting him.
Thats totally fine, but he could still interview other candidates and see what they have too offer? AV? Sutter? Anyone just to see if they might surprise him.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #26
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, he never really said as much, did he? From what I see all he has admitted that he will not consider moving away in order to coach in the NHL.
Whatever he told Francis it was enough for him to write that Sutter is finished coaching.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Weren't people stating that Sutter was pretty much a relic of the past at the end of his time in LA?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #28
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Weren't people stating that Sutter was pretty much a relic of the past at the end of his time in LA?
Yes. But some fans around here want to turn back the clock to that past.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #29
Flamesfan2010
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I want to go cry now.

But I can't, because I'm at work.
Just tell them you need a mental health day.
Flamesfan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #30
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Would borderline retired Sutter be as effective? Seems like the risk would be another Keenan situation. Family is his number one priority, and there is nothing wrong with that, but to coach at the NHL level, it is more than showing up to behind the bench.

IMO I'm glad that ship has sailed. I don't think it would have played out as everyone hoped. Same as wanting Iginla back, same as the Jagr experiment.
I don't think anyone can ever be worried about a Sutter not working hard in any capacity.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Thats totally fine, but he could still interview other candidates and see what they have too offer? AV? Sutter? Anyone just to see if they might surprise him.
I think this is just it, though. Sutter and Vignault are such established commodities that everyone in the NHL already knows really well about what they each have to offer. Do you honestly think Treliving would learn anything he does not already know about these two people from an interview? I sure don't.

The only reason really to conduct more interviews would have been pure optics—an attempt to apply a veneer to the process of hiring a new coach: to provide the impression of a coaching search in spite of the fact that he had already selected his candidate. This is really what you are asking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-20-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #32
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wish this was more of a "congratulations on retirement after an amazing career" than a "boohoo our GM sucks because he didn't hire Sutter" thread.

Tre was clear about who he wanted and why. He also said that his research from the Gulutzan hire gave him the book on other coaches and that he was focused on Peters. This has been flogged to death.

Congratulations on retirement Darryl! You had a fantastic career!
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cycling76er For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #33
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Peters turns out to be Gulutzun 2.0 then maybe Treliving will call Sutter then.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #34
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:

Everyone understands that this is what happened, and it is exactly what everyone has a problem with.

All of the legwork, analysis, and interviews that were done in 2016... were done in 2016, on the coaches that were available in 2016. If the coaching market was the same in 2018 as it was in 2016, then of course, it wouldn't be overly important to interview all of the same coaches again, and perform all of the same analysis again. But the options are not the same, not even close... Sutter, Vigneault, Trotz, etc were not available 2 years ago, and so not performing the analysis and interviews with these 3 who are available today is absolutely close-minded.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #35
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Any chance the Oilers fire TM after a poor start and hire Sutter?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #36
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came in hear expecting old wounds to be re-opened, and old news to be re-hashed.

Leaving satisfied I guess
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 10:17 AM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
If Peters turns out to be Gulutzun 2.0 then maybe Treliving will call Sutter then.
If Peters turns into Gulutzan 2.0 Treliving wont be calling anyone but the unemployment office.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #38
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Everyone understands that this is what happened, and it is exactly what everyone has a problem with.

All of the legwork, analysis, and interviews that were done in 2016... were done in 2016, on the coaches that were available in 2016. If the coaching market was the same in 2018 as it was in 2016, then of course, it wouldn't be overly important to interview all of the same coaches again, and perform all of the same analysis again. But the options are not the same, not even close... Sutter, Vigneault, Trotz, etc were not available 2 years ago, and so not performing the analysis and interviews with these 3 who are available today is absolutely close-minded.
Yeah, what you don't understand is that even when he's wrong, Treliving is right. Just like GG was doing everything right and the Flames just had bad luck - until he was fired, and then that was the right choice too.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #39
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I still think that the Ownership Group/KK has some bad blood with Sutter. That and its like they rather rummage through the discount bin over paying the full shelf price.

I really wonder what would have happened if Bill declined the flames coaching position. Probably gone with Huska as head coach?

The bad blood is not only absent, but rumor has it that Darryl Sutter remains friendly with the ownership group. In fact, when Gulutzan was terminated, it was leaked that the ownership group were thinking Darryl Sutter. As for Ken King... I don't know. I do remember him (and Feaster especially) taking a couple of swipes at Darryl at a season ticket holder's meeting after Darryl was let go, but that was it. Maybe there is bad blood, maybe there isn't.

As for people being disappointed that Treliving had his sights set on Peters and didn't interview anyone else, I don't think it really matters much. I would rather have a GM that knows exactly the coach this team needs and sticks to it. Last coaching hire had the Flames interview a bunch of candidates, and Gulutzan seemed to talk the talk the best and got hired.

Time will tell if Peters is the right coach or not for this team. I am hopeful and optimistic, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am confident in that hire. Truth be told, I would much rather have preferred Darryl on just about any coach out there. Again, time will tell how Peters gets this Flames team to play, and I do like what I have heard so far in terms of play style.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People continue to fail to understand what happened this Spring. There was no coaching search because Treliving had already decided on his new coach long before he was even available.
I don't believe there is a single Flames fan that fails to understand this.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote