Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #41
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If he’s a dime a dozen middle six winger, why don’t we have one? On an atrocious team (the Sens) he still put up 22 goals, which would have been 3rd on our team.

Dreger now saying Ottawa is listening on Zack Smith. That seems like the type of “high character” move we should expect to see, I imagine.
Dime a dozen might have been a bit of an exaggeration on my part but he's not a game breaking player by any stretch.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #42
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Dime a dozen might have been a bit of an exaggeration on my part but he's not a game breaking player by any stretch.
He won't need to be a game breaker... not with the Sharks

If he can score ~ 25 goals....

That would be the key.

Oh, I bet Joe resigns with them on July 1.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #43
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unless sharks have already told hoff he’s going to the echl if he doesn’t dump her then this is still not gonna be a good fit
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #44
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My frustrations come from the fact that we have a very specific need, and it’s easily identifiable.

Then, over the past few months, the Sharks - a division rival, have “scooped” us twice for players in their prime years that fit our need perfectly (Hoffman and Kane).

Watching teams that are already better than the Flames improve is concerning. Every step they take forward, the Flames slip further back. Divisional competition just got tougher.

This is an important summer for Tree and the organization.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #45
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
He won't need to be a game breaker... not with the Sharks

If he can score ~ 25 goals....

That would be the key.

Oh, I bet Joe resigns with them on July 1.
Which is why I think the Flames need a better player than Hoffman if they are going to spend the assets.
I just don't see the angst here. Seems like people here are just desperate for a Flames trade, even if it's not a good one.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #46
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which is why I think the Flames need a better player than Hoffman if they are going to spend the assets.
I just don't see the angst here. Seems like people here are just desperate for a Flames trade, even if it's not a good one.
Remember the cost to the Sharks is low (i.e. 50 cents on the dollar).

Hoffman last season, value would have been higher.... (in my opinion)

Flames need scoring, scoring, scoring....

Key would be to find a way to acquire wingers that don't have a huge price tag.

Chemistry is the key risk factor obviously with Hoffman
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #47
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strange trade. I was told multiple times over and over that Hoffman's career was over.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #48
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm hoping they didn't trade for hofman because they want a true RW. Hoffman is a nice piece, but he is primarily a left handed LW who plays rw on occasion .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #49
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how many people are asking for a trade out of Ottawa. What a tire fire.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #50
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the angst is probably from the notion, rightly or wrongly, that Hoffman was there for the plucking and Calgary didn't land him, but our rivals did...

not a lot of faith that BT is going to be able to execute a trade to increase the skill in the top six and Hoffman was one of the few guys known to be available

personally, before the incident, i wanted calgary to trade for Hoffman... after, i wasn't 100% sure... still doesn't feel great when your rival is getting better and you are not, esp since one was already a playoff team and the other wasn't
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #51
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the good news is there's still 3+ months to get better and keep up with the other teams in the division. Off season isn't over today just because Hoffman got traded.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #52
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Go opportunity for Hoffman to reevaluate his relationship. Lots of fish in the sea, especially Cali...bikini clad fish in fact.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #53
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Unless sharks have already told hoff he’s going to the echl if he doesn’t dump her then this is still not gonna be a good fit
I doubt this is a serious post, but that would be an empty threat at best since Hoffman wouldn't clear waivers and a lawsuit at worst.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #54
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

With all the drama surrounding Hoffman right now I’m not overly concerned the Flames didn’t move on it.

Don’t think the Brouwer vs Boedker comparisons are apt here either - Boedker had a decent bounce back with 38 points in the regular season and a strong playoffs too.

The closest package from the Flames is more likely Ferland + one of Kylington/Andersson.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #55
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Go opportunity for Hoffman to reevaluate his relationship. Lots of fish in the sea, especially Cali.
My take on that entire situation is that if the allegations are true, Mike Hoffman has a mentally ill fiancee, and she needs help.

Lots of hub bub out there talking about "ditch her, save your career"...but if this stuff is true, she's sick and she needs help. That's not someone you abandon, especially when you're engaged to and in love with that person.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #56
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I doubt this is a serious post, but that would be an empty threat at best since Hoffman wouldn't clear waivers and a lawsuit at worst.
And more to the point, the Sharks literally cannot send him to the ECHL without his permission.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #57
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn that is a good trade for the Sharks. At the start of last season I thought they were finally regressing but nope they are on the rise again.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #58
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

California is a great place for Hoffman to go. So much shopping, and things to do there, I bet his fiancee doesn't cause one lick of trouble. I imagine she will fit right in with all the other puck bunny hockey housewives and other empty plastic people. Ottawa isn't exactly a entertainment hot bed. You know what they say, idle hands are the devil's plaything.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #59
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Strange trade. I was told multiple times over and over that Hoffman's career was over.
And who told you that??
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #60
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have to laugh at the posters who are "happy" the Sharks have both Kane and Hoffman (potential Flames targets that fit our current need) if only for the fact they carry "negative" baggage.

They also bring 50+ goals a seasons to an already strong Sharks team in our division. These are SMART moves by a GM who see's right through the bull#### "character" flaws that some of you seem to hang your hat on like you know what dressing rooms are for 90% of the teams in the NHL.

All rooms have drama, unfortunately we're only shown what gets blown up by the media. I could care less if Hoffman's fiance is a nut case and the flames pulled the trigger and Hoffman comes in and puts up the same point total as last year at a minimum. Good room or not our team failed miserably last season, and we've yet to address the needs both at the deadline and now with one of the bigger "low cost" assets that became available.

At what point do we start worrying about the bromance in the locker room and start worrying about the product on the ice putting pucks in the back of the net?
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post: