Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #521
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

also, I'd expect the Bayern/Flick era to come to an end pretty swiftly now. It's obvious that Flick absolutely hates Salihamidzic and that it doesn't make sense for him to carry on there. He'll do well with the German NT.

also pretty funny that Bayern finally have a great coach again and just can't help shooting themselves in the foot again. Basically sacrificing Flick for a guy like Salihamidzic is absolute nuts. I imagine they'll go for Nagelsmann but I doubt Leipzig will let him go this summer.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:49 PM   #522
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bellingham righting the wrong of the last match is a poetic way to send City out. Looks like somehow Chelsea will be the last PL team standing.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #523
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty harsh penalty there, but also really clumsy from Can to let it be a possibility.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #524
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough luck having all them injuries to and having to play without their main defenders.

But credit to Real for getting it done.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #525
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

obviously not an Arsenal fan, but seeing Lacazette, Pepe and Saka score goals against Slavia is extremely satisfying.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 02:04 PM   #526
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah easy to cheer for Arsenal against those wankers. Plus, even if you hate Arsenal, they will just blow it in another round in some sort of hilarious fashion.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:53 PM   #527
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
obviously not an Arsenal fan, but seeing Lacazette, Pepe and Saka score goals against Slavia is extremely satisfying.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #528
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
also, I'd expect the Bayern/Flick era to come to an end pretty swiftly now. It's obvious that Flick absolutely hates Salihamidzic and that it doesn't make sense for him to carry on there. He'll do well with the German NT.

also pretty funny that Bayern finally have a great coach again and just can't help shooting themselves in the foot again. Basically sacrificing Flick for a guy like Salihamidzic is absolute nuts. I imagine they'll go for Nagelsmann but I doubt Leipzig will let him go this summer.
Flick has just confirmed in a post-game interview that he wants to leave Bayern after the season.

Last edited by devo22; 04-17-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #529
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1383773711065444359
Old 04-18-2021, 08:15 AM   #530
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

these would be the 12:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1383783899680022533
Old 04-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #531
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

More details...

Quote:
Fifteen of Europe's biggest clubs are in talks to launch a European Super League, planned to start in time for the 2023-24 season, with a $6 billion (£4.3 billion) fund backing the project, sources have told ESPN.

If the initiative is successful, it would threaten the existence of the Champions League -- football's biggest club competition -- with UEFA due to announce on Monday a new 36-team format for the tournament designed to stave off attempts by the game's top clubs to break away.

As reported by The Times, English top-flight clubs Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham are among 11 European teams to have signed up to the Super League plan.

ESPN has been told by a person familiar with the blueprint that the proposed framework involves a total of 20 teams, with 15 permanent members who cannot be relegated.

A further five teams will be rotated in and out of the competition, based on performance, but the permanent members will include six Premier League clubs, three from La Liga, three from Italy's Serie A, two from the Bundesliga and one from France's Ligue 1.

Sources have told ESPN that New York-based investment bank JP Morgan will underwrite the project, with $6 billion distributed as loans to the teams.

Under pressure from the European Club Association, UEFA has drawn up plans to reshape the Champions League format, with the new-look competition due to be unveiled Monday, ahead of UEFA's executive committee summit in Switzerland this week.

Planned to come into force in 2024, the remodelled Champions League would involve 36 teams playing 10 group games rather than six. The biggest clubs would also receive an increased share of prize money.

Sources told ESPN that UEFA plan to press ahead with their announcement Monday, and that any breakaway league remains a distant prospect, with national associations UEFA and FIFA both needing to sanction the proposal.

Meanwhile, Serie A called an emergency board meeting on Sunday to discuss a newspaper report saying broadcaster DAZN is involved in new plans for the breakaway league, a source told Reuters.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-champions-league/story/4363096/man-united-liverpool-among-clubs-in-$6-billion-european-super-league-talks-sources
Old 04-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #532
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s ridiculous. How in the world clubs like Arsenal or Tottenham are “super” in the first place is debatable. Maybe in years past, but not at this point. That’s just for starters though.

UEFA says that clubs will be expelled from domestic competition and their players won’t play internationally. That’s the dagger right there, I think.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #533
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
UEFA says that clubs will be expelled from domestic competition and their players won’t play internationally. That’s the dagger right there, I think.
I mean, hopefully. I'll take any dagger that puts an end to this crap ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #534
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, hopefully. I'll take any dagger that puts an end to this crap ...
I think they’re already not getting PSG/Bayern, so that’s not good. But players want to play internationally and of course clubs make a lot of money from the domestic competition. I just can’t see how this makes sense.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:51 AM   #535
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well, the owners are obiously banking on making more money from a global audience watching this Super League crap. And I have no doubt they'd pull in a lot more that way ... those matchups would interest a lot more people from overseas than a domestic match against the likes of Burnley, Getafe or Sampdoria. The owners simply don't care about domestic matchups and match-going fans.

an incredibly sad day for football if this passes.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:07 AM   #536
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It’s ridiculous. How in the world clubs like Arsenal or Tottenham are “super” in the first place is debatable. Maybe in years past, but not at this point. That’s just for starters though.

It's not about current form, it's about the fanbases.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #537
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

FIFA is bluffing. The World Cup would die if they banned those players. Not sure FIFA has the grounds to for example, not allow Canada to select Davies.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #538
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I thought they abandoned this crap idea.

This is so stupid.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #539
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
FIFA is bluffing. The World Cup would die if they banned those players. Not sure FIFA has the grounds to for example, not allow Canada to select Davies.
Well one of them is doomed, but is it the Super League or the internationals? I think (hope) that once you have a few clubs that skip the super league that will kill it. But I also thought that this was over and apparently it’s back.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #540
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It’s hard to imagine it will ever go away. There is a market for it and a lot of money at stake.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote