Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #501
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Gene Roddenberry was responsible for Season 1 of TNG. That was his new-age vision. Go back and try to watch it. It's horrifyingly bad.

I mean, still better than Picard (which I couldn't get through even half the season of) but pretty bad. There are two good versions of Trek: post-season-2 TNG where you have a bunch of likable characters in morality plays, and DS9, which is a more serialized and character-driven version of what Trek can be. Lots of reasonable ground for disagreement about which of those is better. But it's neither Roddenberry Trek, nor is it the garbage that's been hocked as Star Trek in the last couple of decades.

You'd think there has to be a Star Trek version of Dave Filoni somewhere to hand the keys to, right?
IMO Roddenberry is probably spinning so fast in his grave that enough power could be rendered to actually explore warp (Alcubierre) drive in real physical terms due to the ridiculous "trek" that has been shoved in our faces since Abrams.

The story telling has been god awful, but the worst part for me has been the insistence on diving into time periods that actually cause great damage to the lore and universe that Star Trek so painstakingly built using pseudo science and continuity. It continues to be a giant F U to the majority of existing long term fans all in some misguided effort to capture some new fan base that may or may not exist.

You're not wrong about S1 of TNG, but I would take S1 TNG any day over what is happening right now, which is just making Star Trek into Star Wars with more outright killing.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:20 PM   #502
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I don't have a problem with the "spore drive", I thought the idea was actually quite fascinating, but there was no reason to wedge it into the timeline pre-TOS. That part makes absolutely no sense, never did make any sense.
Yeah, my problems with discovery would still exist but would be a thousandfold less angry if the series had just started in 2600, there was no ridiculous relation to Spock, and no double season long arc involving the Terran empire. Lol it's like the worst fan fic possible.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 05:29 PM   #503
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Gene Roddenberry was responsible for Season 1 of TNG. That was his new-age vision. Go back and try to watch it. It's horrifyingly bad.

I mean, still better than Picard (which I couldn't get through even half the season of) but pretty bad. There are two good versions of Trek: post-season-2 TNG where you have a bunch of likable characters in morality plays, and DS9, which is a more serialized and character-driven version of what Trek can be. Lots of reasonable ground for disagreement about which of those is better. But it's neither Roddenberry Trek, nor is it the garbage that's been hocked as Star Trek in the last couple of decades.

You'd think there has to be a Star Trek version of Dave Filoni somewhere to hand the keys to, right?
I'm not giving Roddenberry any credit for Star Trek after TOS, as his ideas really diverged from that original 1960s pitch which was both Horatio Hornblower in Space and Wagon Train to the Stars.

The classic TOS dynamic was conflict between the three sides of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. By the time Roddenberry was kicked out of the movie franchise and wrote the bible for TNG, he already forbade any characters from having conflicts with each other as Starfleet officers had moved past that.

Now the Kurtzman Trek shows have gone 180 degrees and we get nothing but so-called officers bickering openly on the bridge and creating "drama" fit for the WB.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #504
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm loving that trailer.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #505
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season 2 trailer...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1405204911768342530
Old 06-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #506
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

WTF is with Star Trek and time travel lately? It's like they are bereft of good ideas, so fall back on that. Marvel is doing it, too...

I'm all for Q, but I don't think they need to lean in the time thing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #507
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So Discovery went to the future, and now Picard is going to the future. Maybe he should go to the past and phaser Burnham out of existence.

I agree with Fuzz, its almost like its too much.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #508
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
WTF is with Star Trek and time travel lately? It's like they are bereft of good ideas, so fall back on that. Marvel is doing it, too...

I'm all for Q, but I don't think they need to lean in the time thing.
That's nothing new. I remember when the TNG movie First Contact came out, they openly stated time travel and the borg were their two most popular themes, so they mashed them together to make a movie. It worked. First Contact was probably the most popular of the TNG movies.

In my opinion, the best TNG story was the finale, which had Q and time travel. So why not go back to that well?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #509
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
That's nothing new. I remember when the TNG movie First Contact came out, they openly stated time travel and the borg were their two most popular themes, so they mashed them together to make a movie. It worked. First Contact was probably the most popular of the TNG movies.

In my opinion, the best TNG story was the finale, which had Q and time travel. So why not go back to that well?
Because the well is drier than Tatooine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #510
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

They also released this poster today...

I believe that's the present-day skyline of Los Angeles. If time travel is involved, it might be to the past, not the future.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #511
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Because the well is drier than Tatooine Vulcan.
what were you thinking??
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #512
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They also released this poster today...

I believe that's the present-day skyline of Los Angeles. If time travel is involved, it might be to the past, not the future.
I was kind of hoping we wouldn't need mega-highways in the future. I also hope we're not going that far into the past on the show.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:29 PM   #513
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
what were you thinking??

Too soon!
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #514
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I was kind of hoping we wouldn't need mega-highways in the future. I also hope we're not going that far into the past on the show.

That would be very Voyage Home, but… it worked for the TOS crew. Could be fun. Hopefully they don’t make it uber dreary.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #515
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Voyage Home was a lot of fun and had some great moments.

The majority of Star Trek episodes where they go to present day or our past are some of the worst episodes. They were usually stuffed into a season (often via the holodeck) to save a bunch of money on production costs.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:47 PM   #516
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think we have seen a “present day” Star Trek episode. They usually go back too far and it’s boring and cliche. TVH was so good partly because you saw these sci-fi characters interacting in the same world that you live in.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #517
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
what were you thinking??
That was the joke, man. Standard Star Wars/Trek swap.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:55 PM   #518
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was the joke, man. Standard Star Wars/Trek swap.

I remember going to Vulcan once for Spock Days and some Storm Troopers showed up. Nerds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 09:03 AM   #519
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don’t think we have seen a “present day” Star Trek episode. They usually go back too far and it’s boring and cliche. TVH was so good partly because you saw these sci-fi characters interacting in the same world that you live in.
Voyager did a whole present day multi-parter in the 90's where they explained the computer revolution was caused by a 30th century time cop who crashed his ship. It was very dumb
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #520
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Voyager did a whole present day multi-parter in the 90's where they explained the computer revolution was caused by a 30th century time cop who crashed his ship. It was very dumb
Voyager had a lot of really bad story lines, that was one of many.

Its funny, you basically have the equivalent of a huge unlimited sandbox. Aliens, the suspension of real science for plot supporting science. unlimited worlds. Future politics. Federations and Empires and mirror universes. And we have two series going back to the same old time travel stuff. Its just lazy.

I mean Q is unlimited in what he can do. But he comes back with the same old siren call that its the end of everything.

You want something interesting, they touched on a Q war I think in Voyager. That could be a good extension, or how about the thing that gives Q nightmares?

I mean I look at the last few series.

TNG - Had a lot of really interesting storylines, they explored, they ran into a cyber race, psuedo gods, a flawed federation at times,

DS9 - Really pushed the flawed federation, a really great threat race. Inperfect crews and chaos.

Voyager - Just seemed to bounce through the same old but in a different part of the galaxy, The problem is that they never ever challenged their ethics to get home, they always went to the same old we're not doing that.

Enterprise - Could have been really interesting, and it had some good plot points at time. Having the Federation being tiny and weak and technologically inferior was a great idea. Having the Vulcans of the era as complete jerks who were arrogant and condescending was well thought out.

Discovery - meh, TIME TRAVEL

Picard - First series had the good and the bad, but was wildly inconsistent, and now the show runners are rolling out TIME TRAVEL, and seems like same old Q.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 06-17-2021 at 09:26 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: