Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #221
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Raty has high upside, but I also think he's just too risky for the Flames to take in the top 8. The Flames can't afford to take a complete swing and a miss. Guys like Guenther, Johnson and Eklund still have pretty good upside, but don't carry the same risk.

From FCHockey's (outstanding) writeup on Raty:
He reminds me of Bennett, in a bad way:

"Raty has lost confidence in his game. He’s not driving the lanes, he’s not carrying the puck into the high-danger areas, and he’s working the perimeter a great deal more this season than he was last. For Raty to improve this, he’s going to need to build his confidence back up. We know he can do it, as he has in the past."

"He has a lot of the tools, but his toolbox has some leaks. His ability to stack skills isn’t where it needs to be, his processing is in question, and there’s an obvious step back for Raty this season compared to what we’ve seen in previous years."

"A major aspect for Raty right now is a lack of consistency. There is a great deal that he has the ability to succeed in, but hasn’t been this year. This has and will affect his draft stock."

If you compare his scouting report's to someone like Kent Johnson, there appears to be a lot of question marks and reservations.
Most writeups on Johnson hardly have anything to criticize. From TheHockeyWriters:

Strengths
-Skating
-Vision
-Two-way play
-Defensive positioning

Under Construction – Improvement to Make
-Needs to put on more weight

"Johnson is as creative as they come. Whether it’s passing and shooting between his legs, lacrosse moves, or anything else you’d find on a highlight reel, if you can dream it, he can probably do it."
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 10:42 PM   #222
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I think Raty has high upside, but I also think he's just too risky for the Flames to take in the top 8. The Flames can't afford to take a complete swing and a miss. Guys like Guenther, Johnson and Eklund still have pretty good upside, but don't carry the same risk.

From FCHockey's (outstanding) writeup on Raty:
He reminds me of Bennett, in a bad way:

"Raty has lost confidence in his game. He’s not driving the lanes, he’s not carrying the puck into the high-danger areas, and he’s working the perimeter a great deal more this season than he was last. For Raty to improve this, he’s going to need to build his confidence back up. We know he can do it, as he has in the past."

"He has a lot of the tools, but his toolbox has some leaks. His ability to stack skills isn’t where it needs to be, his processing is in question, and there’s an obvious step back for Raty this season compared to what we’ve seen in previous years."

"A major aspect for Raty right now is a lack of consistency. There is a great deal that he has the ability to succeed in, but hasn’t been this year. This has and will affect his draft stock."

If you compare his scouting report's to someone like Kent Johnson, there appears to be a lot of question marks and reservations.
Most writeups on Johnson hardly have anything to criticize. From TheHockeyWriters:

Strengths
-Skating
-Vision
-Two-way play
-Defensive positioning

Under Construction – Improvement to Make
-Needs to put on more weight

"Johnson is as creative as they come. Whether it’s passing and shooting between his legs, lacrosse moves, or anything else you’d find on a highlight reel, if you can dream it, he can probably do it."
I agree, we should pass on Raty-too many questions.If we finished low enough, we should be targeting Beniers or Johnson-both are Centers, and have very underrated offence, and both are fast and can drive play. That's absolutely what we need. Guenther is a winger, but his attributes are too good to ignore. If we finish around the middle of the pack, Cole Sillinger is another good-looking C to target.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:13 AM   #223
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who's projected around 13-18? Is there anyone really underwhelming or will the Flames trade down to mid 20's to get a player like that?

It's time to go on the "LLTP" (let's lower that pick) winning streak! I'm guessing 15th overall, the epitome of average that's the Flames sweet spot.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #224
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think we can set aside assumptions about the Flames drafting top 5. We’ll likely see a Flames late season surge that has us finishing among the best records outside the playoffs. Draft 12th to 14th. Rinse repeat.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #225
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Making meaningless late season runs is the Flames' way, it's what separates us from the other teams. Wins propelled by the Steve Begins and Nicklas Backstroms keeping us from drafting the MacKinnons, Barkovs, and Draisaitls is the tradition I know and cherish.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #226
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm more interested in the mid rounds of this draft. As I quickly discovered using the FC mock tool, there are a whole pile of barely watched guys in the middle who could explode. Colton Dach for example, brother of Kirby. Same size and grit. I think he was going to be a riser this season - 8 goals in 16 games for the blades in the short stint this year.

Red Savage was also spoken about last page but has some interesting upside.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 09:00 AM   #227
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Red Savage HAS to be a Flame. Make it so
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #228
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s the scoop on Samuel Helenius? His size is intriguing. Just based some highlight reels he looks good against his peers for speed and puck skills, and looks mobile for his size. Isn’t afraid to crash the net and kills penalties. Comes from a hockey family which is sometimes an advantage.

Projected to go in the third round I think.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #229
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
What’s the scoop on Samuel Helenius? His size is intriguing. Just based some highlight reels he looks good against his peers for speed and puck skills, and looks mobile for his size. Isn’t afraid to crash the net and kills penalties. Comes from a hockey family which is sometimes an advantage.

Projected to go in the third round I think.
I've seen him pegged to go as early as the first third of the second round. His mobility is said to be pretty good for a guy who's 6'6", but like most young guys his size, he still has some work to do in that area-particularly his lateral speed, but it's still pretty good. This kid is more than just a meathead-he goes to the net, plays PK, kills guys on the boards, and has a great shot. His numbers in Finland are good for a guy his age, and he had 4pts in 7g at the WJC, to go with 18 PIM. I would love to see us pick this kid up. I loved his Dad, and would be a fan of his too.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:41 PM   #230
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flames-exclusive mock draft done by our Joel Henderson, who you may have caught from time to time talking draft on SN960.

https://twitter.com/FCHockey/status/...673554435?s=20

https://nhlentrydraft.com/mock-draft/51414/
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FCAV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2021, 09:14 PM   #231
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

All your left wingers are belong to us.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:25 PM   #232
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wish is for a C, but Guenther will probably be the best forward coming out of this draft.
Should be noted that he shoots right, and can play RW.

Last edited by Sandman; 04-18-2021 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:31 PM   #233
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Who's projected around 13-18? Is there anyone really underwhelming or will the Flames trade down to mid 20's to get a player like that?

It's time to go on the "LLTP" (let's lower that pick) winning streak! I'm guessing 15th overall, the epitome of average that's the Flames sweet spot.
Chaz Lucius could be there (Myself I believe he goes earlier)
Mason McTavish
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #234
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

My hope for the third round is Cole Huckins.
But a center who is 6'3" and is putting up a point a game this year, I am thinking he might go second round.
He is big. Has shown year over year progression.
From what I can find he is supposed to be more of a power forward using size and aggression to be effective as opposed to skill. But is supposed to have good skating ability.
Is he ranked as a possible third round prospect because he might be shifted to the wing as a grinding boards type player?
Old 04-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #235
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames should trade down as much as possible but is anyone looking to trade up?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #236
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

McKenzie's list just dropped.

Power takes the top spot. Guenther at T2 (with Edvinsson).

https://www.tsn.ca/owen-power-the-un...ings-1.1626057

Last edited by FCAV; 04-19-2021 at 10:10 AM.
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FCAV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #237
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think the Flames should trade down as much as possible but is anyone looking to trade up?
Im only trading down if are out of the top 10. Then again, we’ve been burned in the past for trading down. Zary looks good so far, but I am referring to the Jankowski draft.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #238
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAV View Post
McKenzie's list just dropped.

Power takes the top spot. Guenther at T2 (with Edvinsson).

https://www.tsn.ca/owen-power-the-un...ings-1.1626057
The Flames have the 9th lowest point percentage. Seattle pushes them back by one. So the Flames are on track to pick 10th.

Bob McKenzie Jesper Wallstedt at 10th. Wallstedt, a goalie, is the heaviest prospect who is projected to go in the first round.
It seems like there's a pretty definite tier in the top 8 or so, and then it really falls off from there. Kent Johnson is #8, Chaz Lucius is #9

Interestingly, he has Raty way down at #20.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #239
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Reading that TSN article, it sounds like the Flames' go-to strategy of trading down for more picks might actually work this year if they're drafting mid-round anyway.

Which almost certainly assures they won't do it.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #240
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1384187069812002832
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote