Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #1981
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any predictions on what will happen with JD beyond this season?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #1982
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably he'll get resigned for a 1 year deal at 16 million (baseball's qualifying offer) as nobody will touch him on a multi year deal and nobody wants to sacrifice a draft pick.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #1983
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Any predictions on what will happen with JD beyond this season?
JD is waived and will clears, then the Jays will proceed to trade him after the none-waiver deadline later on in August.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #1984
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Only other top 100 prospects is Albert Abreau but I still wonder if maybe going after a bigger deal to get one of these 2 guys is the better way to go.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...42303166038018

Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
37m37 minutes ago
More
Jays originally sought Clint Frazier or Justus Sheffield for Happ. That was when yanks saw happ price as too high. Can’t see nyy doing that for rental, and they’ve offered others. Still talking. Brewers also interested. M’s, too. Maybe cubs, others
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #1985
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...an-oh-rockies/
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 07:17 PM   #1986
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Sounds like the Jays are getting a first baseman named Chad Spanberger, the Rockies 24th overall prospect. He is a power hitter with a bit of swing and miss tendencies, he has 22 Home runs with the Rockies A ball affiliate Asheville.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #1987
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have concerns that the Yanks will rob the Jays in the Happ deal. The guy will be a stud in the playoffs, and any team that doesn't pay solid value is making a mistake (to judge him on his latest starts). If I were the Jays I'd send a message by not dealing him if the value of the return isn't there. Not just dealing him for mediocre guys. May as well lose him for nothing. But I digress, I have no idea who they're getting for him.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:24 AM   #1988
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rockies acquired RHP Seung Hwan Oh from the Rockies for 1B Chad Spanberger, OF Forrest Wall, and a player to be named later.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #1989
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I have concerns that the Yanks will rob the Jays in the Happ deal. The guy will be a stud in the playoffs, and any team that doesn't pay solid value is making a mistake (to judge him on his latest starts). If I were the Jays I'd send a message by not dealing him if the value of the return isn't there. Not just dealing him for mediocre guys. May as well lose him for nothing. But I digress, I have no idea who they're getting for him.
Jays have to trade him, even if the return are mid level prospects.

They have no other choice.

Best case a trade is completed and Happ resigns with the Jays in the off season.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #1990
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blue Jays acquired OF Forrest Wall, 1B Chad Spanberger, and a player to be named later from the Rockies for RHP Seung Hwan Oh.

Wall had slashed .260/.340/.410 with nine home runs and 28 stolen bases in 93 games this season between the Rockies' High-A and Double-A teams. The 22-year-old was a supplemental first-round pick (35th overall) in 2014 out of a Florida high school. He began his pro career as a second baseman but has recently been playing center field.

Spanberger, a sixth-round pick in 2017 out of the University of Arkansas, has put up a terrific .307/.365/.594 batting line with 41 home runs and 126 RBI through his first 152 professional games between the rookie-level Pioneer League and the Low-A South Atlantic League. The 22-year-old first baseman could rise quickly through the Jays' farm system.

Last edited by Jason14h; 07-26-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #1991
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Blue Jays acquired OF Forrest Wall, 1B Chad Spanberger, and a player to be named later from the Rockies for RHP Seung Hwan Oh.
The Rockies 13th and 24th best prospects. That's a good return for Oh. Albeit not the kind I thought they'd go for... I assumed the Jays would be all about the pitching, maybe they're just stocking the prospect shelves so they can buy major league pitching with it later.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 08:54 AM   #1992
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wall was the Rockies 13th rated prospect by MLB.com and Spanberger their 24th.

I'm surprised by that return. Seems pretty solid.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #1993
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I'm surprised by that return. Seems pretty solid.
Good value contract with term left (option after this year).
Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #1994
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jay's did well in the Oh deal. Overall I think the Jays did well to pick up a few veteran relievers and now are poised to turn Clippard and Axford on top of Oh into prospect depth. Clippard and Axford were signed to minor league deals in the off season. Same can be said for Granderson, he has been a pretty good mentor for the young guys and now the Jays can flip him for a prospect.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #1995
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I wonder if the Jays are going to trade Donaldson... he seems like a prime candidate to sign a 1 year extension... I mean with his health issues this year depressing his FA value, the gangbuster upcoming free agent class, and the surefire Q.O. he's going to be issued also pushing interest down I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense for him to sign a short extension (with a no qualifying offer clause) in the hopes of getting a better deal next off-season.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #1996
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt it. They'll most likely re-sign him for a year and try again next year. Having to give up a pick will probably scare off teams from signing him this summer too with the injury-riddled season he's had.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #1997
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

MLB.com updated their Prospect rankings. Jays have 5 in the top 100 (Vlad Jr (#1 in all of baseball), Bichette (#9), Jansen(#75), Pearson(#92) and Alford 9#94)) which is tied for 4th most in MLB. Be interesting to see if they can make that 6 by the end of the trade deadline.

Also of note Forrest Wall checks in at 23. Spanberger is not on the list.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=tor
Old 07-26-2018, 11:50 AM   #1998
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Seem likely Happ will be a Yankee at this point. Brandon Drury was being kicked around a little last night. Not sure how I feel about that personally...

Joel Sherman

Verified account

@Joelsherman1
2m2 minutes ago
More
Hearing #Yankees are getting closer on JA Happ. Not done yet but getting closer. #Bluejays

Edit: Sounds like Drury will be a key piece.

Joel Sherman

Verified account

@Joelsherman1
3m3 minutes ago
More
I hear that if the deal gets done -- and it is not in physicals yet from what I understand, so still some distance to cross -- Brandon Drury would be key piece going to #Bluejays from #Yankees for Happ. But not done yet.

Last edited by cross16; 07-26-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #1999
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Seem likely Happ will be a Yankee at this point. Brandon Drury was being kicked around a little last night. Not sure how I feel about that personally...
If that were a part of the return I'd be fine with it... 1 for 1 I'd be hopping mad. MLBTradeRumors had the Yankee's also looking for catching depth so if it were effectively Maile for Drury (with other stuff added for Happ) I'd be cool with it as it would open a spot for Danny Jansen to make his MLB debut.

Quote:
Edit: Sounds like Drury will be a key piece.

Joel Sherman

Verified account

@Joelsherman1
3m3 minutes ago
More
I hear that if the deal gets done -- and it is not in physicals yet from what I understand, so still some distance to cross -- Brandon Drury would be key piece going to #Bluejays from #Yankees for Happ. But not done yet.
I don't buy that (the key piece bit). Could be Sherman pumping the NY tires a bit for his New York Post readership. At least I hope not. That would be a terribad return for the best rental arm on the market.

Last edited by Parallex; 07-26-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #2000
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
If that were a part of the return I'd be fine with it... 1 for 1 I'd be hopping mad. MLBTradeRumors had the Yankee's also looking for catching depth so if it were effectively Maile for Drury (with other stuff added for Happ) I'd be cool with it as it would open a spot for Danny Jansen to make his MLB debut.
That's all fair. I'm actually ok with Drury as a player I was just hoping for a prospect with some more upside. Seems to be a player with a solid floor, MLB caliber player, but a low ceiling.

Not the way I would be going right now personally.