Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #261
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure there have been any decent points made on either side in this discussion.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #262
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

To me this would be like my wife and I deciding to sell our house. We decide to, then talk to realtors and find out what the market value is. If we realize we could get effed financially, we can decide not to put it up for sale.

I can't recall the specifics of the initial vote. But if they had a deal in place, vote on the deal. If there isn't a deal, share the consequences and also have a vote. You'd think that on something as important as this a sober second thought is the intelligent thing to do.

Politics is just so tribal these days and the desire to compromise or be pragmatic is just... gone.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #263
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I'm not sure there have been any decent points made on either side in this discussion.

Anything you would like to add since just suggesting that Brexit has to move forward because .... it has to?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:35 AM   #264
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Che Guaverra? Is that you? It didn’t go so well for you last time.
Laugh all you want - the people will only take so much from a system that’s rigged against them at all levels, where their only value is the amount of money they can generate for the ultra-rich, and where they can be sold up the river to immeasurable suffering as soon as that’s more profitable.

To the vast majority of Brits, a no-deal Brexit will be disastrous for quality of life. Every economist worth his or her salt has said so. It’s being pushed through so that the UK’s social programs can be gutted and its public services sold off for pennies on the dollar - to make the ultra-rich even more rich at everyone else’s expense. It’s also becoming more obvious by the day that the system is set up to allow this to happen, and that the people cannot stop it by playing within the rules. What are they supposed to do?
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #265
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

A u.s. uk trade deal looks very promising:

From bloomberg:

Bolton’s offer to “carve out” areas where Britain and America could negotiate trade deals “very quickly” is designed to boost Johnson’s argument that Britain could see benefits from a no-deal Brexit. Bolton rejected the idea that trade talks would take years.

In a direct rebuke to former President Barack Obama, who in 2016 warned that Britain outside the EU would find itself at the “back of the queue” for a U.S. trade deal, Bolton said: “To be clear, in the Trump administration, Britain is at the front of the trade queue -- or ‘line,’ as we say.”

Asked which sectors he had in mind for fast deals, Bolton cited manufacturing, including car-makers. He said there was a potential “enormous benefit” from a financial services deal, but that this was “complex,” and so might not be the first on the list.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bloo...it-trade-deals
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:04 PM   #266
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

The problem is that you can’t believe a single thing anyone in the current U.S. administration has to say.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #267
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

From bloomberg:

Bolton’s offer to “carve out” areas where Britain and America could negotiate trade deals “very quickly” is designed to boost Johnson’s argument that Britain could see benefits from a no-deal Brexit. Bolton rejected the idea that trade talks would take years.

In a direct rebuke to former President Barack Obama, who in 2016 warned that Britain outside the EU would find itself at the “back of the queue” for a U.S. trade deal, Bolton said: “To be clear, in the Trump administration, Britain is at the front of the trade queue -- or ‘line,’ as we say.”

Asked which sectors he had in mind for fast deals, Bolton cited manufacturing, including car-makers. He said there was a potential “enormous benefit” from a financial services deal, but that this was “complex,” and so might not be the first on the list.

There is huge benefit to the US, their plans for financial services basically cut London's nuts off and have almost all of the work move to Wall Street via regulatory allignment

There is really nothing the UK has it can sell to the US beyond what is sells now, mostly the US wants is to kill the City and open up the UK to US agricultural imports
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #268
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

From bloomberg:

Do you seriously believe the Trump administration is just going negotiate a deal that greatly benefits Britain out of the goodness of their hearts?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #269
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
There is huge benefit to the US, their plans for financial services basically cut London's nuts off and have almost all of the work move to Wall Street via regulatory allignment

There is really nothing the UK has it can sell to the US beyond what is sells now, mostly the US wants is to kill the City and open up the UK to US agricultural imports
So there is zero benefit to a trade deal with the u.s.? It’s a one way street with the u.s. but lots of benefit to trade deals with the eu? I mean by that logic Canada should probably back out of usmca and try getting in the eu.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #270
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So there is zero benefit to a trade deal with the u.s.? It’s a one way street with the u.s. but lots of benefit to trade deals with the eu? I mean by that logic Canada should probably back out of usmca and try getting in the eu.
Which is pretty much what CETA is trying to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compre...rade_Agreement
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #271
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You want to expand on that thought? Comment on any concerns you have with Barnet's posts?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:43 PM   #272
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

If not for Corbyn, there would probably be sufficient numbers of Tory MP's that would cross the floor. The problem for the sane wing of the Tory party is that they are caught between 2 nightmare scenarios - the unmitigated disaster of Brexit on one hand, and the fact that breaking party lines might hand the keys to the country to a complete moron that will seek to take the country back to the 1950's. At least that is my read from afar. I am sure it is far more nuanced than that, but this seems to be the crux of the dilemma for the "sane" MP's caucus, which would otherwise be able to muster a majority.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #273
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
If not for Corbyn, there would probably be sufficient numbers of Tory MP's that would cross the floor. The problem for the sane wing of the Tory party is that they are caught between 2 nightmare scenarios - the unmitigated disaster of Brexit on one hand, and the fact that breaking party lines might hand the keys to the country to a complete moron that will seek to take the country back to the 1950's. At least that is my read from afar. I am sure it is far more nuanced than that, but this seems to be the crux of the dilemma for the "sane" MP's caucus, which would otherwise be able to muster a majority.
Except that overhanging all of this are two swords: 1) that Parliament had MANY opportunities to negotiate Brexit and ... refused, and 2) hanging over all of this is a referendum result that everybody agreed was legitimate.

Brexit is a political crisis - no doubt about it. Just not one that anyone seems particularly interested in avoiding or fixing or mitigating.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #274
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A u.s. uk trade deal looks very promising
No it doesn't. Not in the slightest.

As things stand with Bojo undermining the GFA there is zero chance of any getting passed by Congress.

And that's even if you were to take Bolton at his word in the first place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #275
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Politicians.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1166676234211905536

Old 08-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #276
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post

That really is accurate analysis. The leadership of the two largest parties as swung to the opposite extremes.

Both parties do however, have a lot of talent on their benches, but their voices aren’t heard within their own parties. Those in the centre are being increasingly marginalised, and it just seems to get worse all the time.

Too many people follow politics as if they are following their favourite sports teams. A prime example is where I live. My MP is one of the most extreme Brexiteers there is. She makes no effort to represent or act as the voice of her constituents which voted 62.2% in favour of remaining in the UK Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/...esults/local/b

Despite this, she’ll likely get re-elected, because she plays on the right team despite not giving a damn for her constituents.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #277
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well....I just found a new source of amazing news stories!!

https://newsthump.com/2019/08/25/you...n-fire-engine/
my god that was funny!
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #278
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
That really is accurate analysis. The leadership of the two largest parties as swung to the opposite extremes.

Both parties do however, have a lot of talent on their benches, but their voices aren’t heard within their own parties. Those in the centre are being increasingly marginalised, and it just seems to get worse all the time.

Too many people follow politics as if they are following their favourite sports teams. A prime example is where I live. My MP is one of the most extreme Brexiteers there is. She makes no effort to represent or act as the voice of her constituents which voted 62.2% in favour of remaining in the UK Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/...esults/local/b

Despite this, she’ll likely get re-elected, because she plays on the right team despite not giving a damn for her constituents.
You live in Vauxhall?
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #279
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I appreciate your knowledge. I am not as in the know as you but what say sounds reasonable.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #280
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Which is pretty much what CETA is trying to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compre...rade_Agreement
Canada should stay as far away from the eu as possible barring a few trade deals.

Let’s put ourselves in Britains shoes for a moment:

If Canada was hypothetically part of the eu starting tomorrow, Canadians would be ok with whatever policies the eu wishes to impose upon us? I sure wouldn’t. Why would anybody want some dimwit in Brussels who we never elected making decisions on what policies are best for my country? While they are making policies that we here in Canada have to live by, we send them billions of dollars because we are a “have” country. Who in their right mind would ever go for that?

Canada has never needed the eu and i don’t believe Britains do either. If they came together as a nation during ww2 and succeeded they can deal with Brexit.

Then again maybe the eu making decisions for Canada wouldn’t be too bad. Brussels wouldn’t do a worse job than the current liberals.