Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #81
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

8 Treats Specific to Stampede

http://www.avenuecalgary.com/article...ic-to-stampede

The Centennial sandwich actually looks pretty good....
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #82
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post

Quote:
Only available during the Calgary Stampede Centennial, the Stampede Whoopie Pie is truly one of a kind.
Two homemade banana chocolate-chip cookies are sandwiched around sweet cream-cheese filling.

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #83
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post

WANT

Quote:

The Stampede Centennial Canadian Rye Whisky has been aged for 25 years and has been made with water from the Rocky Mountains. The whisky is crafted by locally owned and operated Highwood Distillers.
There were only 6,000 bottles made. The bottle and seal are unique and symbolic of the Calgary Stampede. Spicy, sweet and nutty flavours come though in this velvety smooth Canadian rye whisky.
The Stampede Centennial Whisky is available at most liquor stores.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #84
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I can't seem to copy the image so I'll just link it, but this one made me lol.

http://www.stampedisms.com/#17

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-04-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #85
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with what I've been reading and hearing about the Stampede this year. They were building up the centennial so much and I don't see a lot of differences or extras. Besides two old people concerts in Garth Brooks and Beach Boys, where's all the added goodies? Where's the big names and big events?

I remember reading years back when they were talking about the plans for Stampede Park they mentioned they were landscaping the area beside the river on the south side of Stampede Park to make a nice park area. The joke being that it's called Stampede Park, and there is no real park area. They wanted to have an actual green area where people could relax. Anyone know if that's done yet? When I read about it they said they hoped to have it done for the centennial, but that was many years ago and I don't know if they even decided to do it.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #86
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I remember reading years back when they were talking about the plans for Stampede Park they mentioned they were landscaping the area beside the river on the south side of Stampede Park to make a nice park area. The joke being that it's called Stampede Park, and there is no real park area. They wanted to have an actual green area where people could relax. Anyone know if that's done yet? When I read about it they said they hoped to have it done for the centennial, but that was many years ago and I don't know if they even decided to do it.
I believe that funding was delayed because of the downturn of the economy in 2008, so things were put on hold. Things appear to be back on track, and the Indian Village will be moving to the new area on the east side of the river next year.

Here's what they have in the immediate plans: http://corporate.calgarystampede.com...k-development/

Once those things get done, and they move the Indian Village and Rotary House, and finally build a replacement for the Coke Stage (they've had various plans to build an amphitheater somewhere - I've seen plans with one south of the Saddledome, and others with one north of the Erlton C-Train station), then, they can tear down the Big Four Building and everything between it and the Round-Up Centre and put something there.

I am surprised they didn't get more big-name acts to play the Saddledome. They usually get at least one big name pop act (Katy Perry last year), but other than the Beach Boys, they're all country.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the big fireworks show they have planned for the weekend nights, launching from five different locations around the city.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #87
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with what I've been reading and hearing about the Stampede this year. They were building up the centennial so much and I don't see a lot of differences or extras. Besides two old people concerts in Garth Brooks and Beach Boys, where's all the added goodies? Where's the big names and big events?
While it does seem like it won't be that much different than other years, I really want to go so bad. But maybe it's because I can't actually go this year (and its the 100th!) which actually makes me want to go even more. Homesick just thinking about it. Stuck at UBC finishing up 1 last class for my degree. So tempted to drive over but can't justify the exhausting drive and gas expenditure to just be there for 4 days.

The coke stage line-up seems pretty terrible from what I've seen seen though. Pretty sad that it's the best they could do for their 100th year. Admittedly, the plan they have for the fireworks seems pretty cool.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #88
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised they can do it at McCall lake since it's right in the path of the primary runway.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #89
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I'm surprised they can do it at McCall lake since it's right in the path of the primary runway.
Well it will be pretty late at night when the airport isn't as busy, and as my buddy that is an ATC controller says they can just switch any arrivals and departures to 10/28 and depart off of 34 and do the odd arrival on 16 for the 15 minutes or so they are going off.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #90
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[QUOTE=Daradon;3779443]I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with what I've been reading and hearing about the Stampede this year. They were building up the centennial so much and I don't see a lot of differences or extras. Besides two old people concerts in Garth Brooks and Beach Boys, where's all the added goodies? Where's the big names and big events?
[QUOTE]

Funny you should say that. I know someone who works there in the marketing dept and they were complaining because their mandate was to push the whole 100 year celebration deal however they had nothing to use to build it up.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to username For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #91
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For TTC (from Cecil's link)

When people say:
I hate the stampede.

What they really mean is:
I should probably move back to Toronto.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_in_Canada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #92
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone bought chuck's/grandstand tickets the day of? What are the reserved seats like? I'm just trying to figure it out with the father-in-law if it would be worth it. I'll already be up there and don't mind going to the park early to sit in line for some tickets. Thanks
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #93
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Has anyone bought chuck's/grandstand tickets the day of? What are the reserved seats like? I'm just trying to figure it out with the father-in-law if it would be worth it. I'll already be up there and don't mind going to the park early to sit in line for some tickets. Thanks
We did rush seats for the chucks/grandstand a couple years back and they were ok. For the races themselves we had a decent view of the infield stuff, but not much of the finish. For the grandstand show we simply got up and stood in the crowd closer to the stage, which wasn't too bad if you don't mind standing at concerts & such.

I *think* we paid about $50-55 for the pair? Wasn't a bad value in my opinion. But having said that, we've purchased advanced tickets this year.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #94
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the heads up. I saw that the rush seating were $25 EA, which is just great in my opinion. I have already bought my rodeo tickets months ago, but the FIL decided this weekend that he wanted to go. So i'm stuck doing the rush. Was it hard to get the rush tickets (lots of other people wanting them) or not too bad. I know that this year will be different, but it still gives me a ball park
Old 07-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #95
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know where I can buy some of that Centennial Whisky? I went to Willowpark over my lunch hour and they were sold out.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #96
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I saw that the rush seating were $25 EA, which is just great in my opinion. I have already bought my rodeo tickets months ago, but the FIL decided this weekend that he wanted to go. So i'm stuck doing the rush. Was it hard to get the rush tickets (lots of other people wanting them) or not too bad. I know that this year will be different, but it still gives me a ball park
They were very easy to for us to get that year, I'm sure it was less than an hour before the chucks started and we only waited behind 2-3 other parties. I know we bought the tickets and had enough time to get some mini donuts before heading in. Sadly I can't recall which night of the week it was we were there... I feel like it was earlier in the week... but I honestly couldn't pin down any more specific than that.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #97
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Anyone know where I can buy some of that Centennial Whisky? I went to Willowpark over my lunch hour and they were sold out.
Zyn has it listed in stock on their website. Not sure about their retail locations... tempted to stop by the bankers hall location myself to see if they have it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #98
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Zyn has it listed in stock on their website. Not sure about their retail locations... tempted to stop by the bankers hall location myself to see if they have it.
I went there yesterday and got 2 bottles. Get a couple. Tastes like GOLD!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #99
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Parade question?

If I park at James Short parkade will my wife be able to get out of downtown by going 5th to Edmonton trail to Memorial to Deerfoot once the parade passes us? were watching the parade by the Suncor building?

Thanks,
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #100
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somewhat related to finding the Centennial Whisky, if you're ever looking for any liquor and where to find it, use this

http://www.liquorconnect.com/Pages/default.aspx

Search your product, put in your postal code and it'll spit out a list of stores that have placed orders for the products within 12 months. I'd add call ahead to those stores before making a trek to the store, as having placed the order in the last year does not ensure they still have stock, just that it is a product the store carries/has carried.

Tags
stampede , yahoo! , yeehaw!