Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Aaron Draplin/Interagency Coalition Calgary, July 19th.

Must see for anyone working in or aspiring to work in the creative world.

Aaron Draplin, July 19th at the Plaza Theatre in Kensington.

Quote:

The Calgary Inter-Agency Coalition is proud to present Aaron James Draplin of the Draplin Design Co. to the Plaza Theatre in Calgary on Thursday July 19, 2012. Space is limited for this exclusive one night only engagement.

One of the finest brand designers of our time, Aaron Draplin will bring his legendary potty mouth to town to showcase some of his work and tell some trademark tall tales. Topics will undoubtedly include (but not be limited to) graphic design, branding, freedom fighting, the colour orange, dachshunds, and Rock 'n Roll. Basically he's coming to Calgary to give our creative community a collective kick in the ass. Anyone may attend, but if you're a designer, artist or design student in Alberta, you will not want to miss this event.

Aaron Draplin is a big cuss of a man hailing from Portland, Oregon where he has operated as the sole proprietor of the Draplin Design Co. since 2004. Lucky DDC clients have ranged from local hot dog vendors like Cobra Dogs, to massive corporate behemoths like Nike and even the Obama Administration. Every project that comes out of the DDC is exemplary of the blue collar work ethic, and old fashioned commitment to quality that Aaron is renowned for.

For more information on Aaron Draplin, his work and his words of wisdom and inspiration visit his website at: www.draplin.com

We've worked with Aaron to come up with some fantastic limited rewards including some personal face time with the man himself, and unprecedented opportunities to put him to work for you. Your support will cover Aaron's travel expenses, hotel, venue rental, marketing materials and other minor admin costs.

Official event hashtag: #ddcyyc
http://www.indiegogo.com/draplin
For those of you unaware Aaron's famous for his blue collar approach to design, as well as his overuse of curse words & futura bold, he's worked on everything from Snowboarder Magazine & Hotdog Stands to the Obama administration.

But the best introduction to him is probably this youtube video, NSFW do to language.
NSFW!

It's a kickstarter style event, make your contribution, pick your perk.

My apologies if this should be in the buy/sell forum.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Looking forward to this event. If not for Draplin, then just for getting together with a bunch of deign nerds.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I've been checking out some of his other videos on youtube. There's something about listening to somebody with an angry passion for what they do that gets me excited. If you have even a passing interest in design it should be a damn fun time.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't wait for this, going with my co-workers. Would it be ultra nerdy to bring my field notes book to take notes?
COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The event is tonight. If you're interested, tickets are $20 at the door.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got back from our milkshake perk at Peter's with the man himself. You're in for a treat tonight guys, very cool dude, non stop ball of energy & full of enthusiasm for life.

Plus he brought gifts!

Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Draplin was so good, such a passionate guy. I can't wait to get my posters framed!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

The man should also be a model for how to do a proper powerpoint presentation. Rarely anything more than a headline, and funny as hell. Here was one of my favourites:

Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
The man should also be a model for how to do a proper powerpoint presentation. Rarely anything more than a headline, and funny as hell. Here was one of my favourites:

hahaha I wish the client services people I work with could have seen it. I was loving when he was going through his portfolio to the beat of the music!