Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #1061
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Staying with friends on San Mateo.

They have YouTube TV instead of regular cable. Every sports channel under the sun. ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, FS2, NBCSN, CBS sports and the local FS, NBCSN and CBS sports. All for $50/month.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #1062
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Did you have to sideload the app? It won't let me install via the play store, even using a VPN. I've got it working in a browser.
Apkmirror.com has pretty much every play store app dumped, and it's updated daily with new app versions

The one thing you need to watch for is specific Android TV support for each app, if you're using a shield. Some apps (like Hulu) have a completely separate app for Android TV, while others have a single app that works both on TV and mobile

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 10-17-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #1063
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Apkmirror.com has pretty much every play store app dumped, and it's updated daily with new app versions

The one thing you need to watch for is specific Android TV support for each app, if you're using a shield. Some apps (like Hulu) have a completely separate app for Android TV, while others have a single app that works both on TV and mobile
Yeah I've used apkmirror many times. Thanks.

By the way, a new Shield TV leaked today. It looks like a disappointingly minor upgrade but it'll support Dolby Vision at least.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #1064
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I've used apkmirror many times. Thanks.

By the way, a new Shield TV leaked today. It looks like a disappointingly minor upgrade but it'll support Dolby Vision at least.

Actually I'm stoked for the new processor. The 2017 shield is an emulation beast, but just falls short running Gamecube and Wii games through Dolphin. If the new Tegra chip enables it to play those games at full speed I'll buy it for that alone
Old 10-17-2019, 10:58 PM   #1065
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I'm stoked for the new processor. The 2017 shield is an emulation beast, but just falls short running Gamecube and Wii games through Dolphin. If the new Tegra chip enables it to play those games at full speed I'll buy it for that alone
They’re going with the X1+ chip which is supposed to be 25% faster. I would have hoped for a bigger performance bump after 4 years, and they’re not increasing the RAM either.

There’s going to be a “stick” version too. I’d be ok with it getting the more modest spec bump but the pro model should’ve got at least the X2 and 6GB of RAM to really make sure it can run stuff like Dolphin.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #1066
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
They’re going with the X1+ chip which is supposed to be 25% faster. I would have hoped for a bigger performance bump after 4 years, and they’re not increasing the RAM either.

There’s going to be a “stick” version too. I’d be ok with it getting the more modest spec bump but the pro model should’ve got at least the X2 and 6GB of RAM to really make sure it can run stuff like Dolphin.
Well the 2017 Shield is still the most powerful media player on the market, and they don't need extra ram or an X2 to run Netflix or Prime. They're not going to bump specs up just so it can emulate games better, the amount of people using the Shield for that is minuscule compared to their overall customer base
Old 10-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #1067
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Well the 2017 Shield is still the most powerful media player on the market, and they don't need extra ram or an X2 to run Netflix or Prime. They're not going to bump specs up just so it can emulate games better, the amount of people using the Shield for that is minuscule compared to their overall customer base
I get that but it’s not enough for me to upgrade. The Apple TV 4K has been my go to anyway and the new update makes it nearly perfect.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #1068
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
If you've got Telus, I've got Pik TV for 2 years $5/month with a $5/month credit (so free) including 5 specialty channels then I added the sports package which includes all of the Sportsnet channels and TSN for $14/month.

It's a bit of a cop out to cutting the cord, but at least it's not traditional cable.
How is this working out for you? Any problems?
I am on Optik, and always have freezing/lagging on my upstairs tv. I’ve had techs over time and again who run all their tests and upgrade the box and do this and do that and the issue never resolves. My upstairs tv is wireless but I’ve got the booster thing and they swear the wireless service is strong, but every ‘x’ number of days the freezing returns then goes away, rinse lather repeat. My tv downstairs seems to work fine though it has in the past had the same freezing problems albeit not for some time. Internet otherwise seems fine as well.

It just seems it’s the Optik tv that isn’t working for me. I was considering changing to Shaw as perhaps it would solve the freezing aspect which is my only concern and to which Telus can’t fix after years of tech visits. I wonder though if this Pik tv idea may be an option. I only want the basic channels and sports as you noted. Maybe this is an option for me in staying with Telus and keeping the handful of (live) channels I seek.

Any feedback from yourself, or anyone else reading this?

Thanks everyone.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:53 AM   #1069
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

New to the thread so apologies if this has been covered.

A friend of mine in Toronto with a smart tv recently signed up to a trial for Nora Go. Seems sketchy to me.

But apparently for a modest fee she gets a full line-up of live and on demand channels in HD.

Last Sunday I confirmed she was able to watch both the NFC and AFC title games live on CBS and FOX and looks like she has the full suite of Sportsnet and TSN channels.

Anyone have any experience here? I am getting tired of Shaw's ridiculous rates.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #1070
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

A friend of mine in Toronto with a smart tv recently signed up to a trial for Nora Go. Seems sketchy to me.

But apparently for a modest fee she gets a full line-up of live and on demand channels in HD.

Last Sunday I confirmed she was able to watch both the NFC and AFC title games live on CBS and FOX and looks like she has the full suite of Sportsnet and TSN channels.

Nora Go looks like IPTV. Not really legal and lots going on in the world right now with authorities shutting these down and rumbling about going after subscribers.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #1071
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

Not legal, any IPTV stream that's not coming from an established TV provider is just a bunch of pirate streams put together in a single package. Quality will vary widely between providers and even channels from the same provider, and it can be shut down at any time
Old 01-24-2020, 03:34 PM   #1072
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Also if she is in Toronto- with a decent antenna you'd be able to pick up the US networks from across the lake.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #1073
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nora Go is not a provider, just the software that any number of iptv providers may use.
And yeah, they are all illegal.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #1074
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I got a notice on my LG tv that there’s an Apple TV app available now. I probably won’t use it but if you’ve bought content from Apple it’s nice to know there’s another way to watch it without buying an Apple product.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #1075
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got a notice on my LG tv that there’s an Apple TV app available now. I probably won’t use it but if you’ve bought content from Apple it’s nice to know there’s another way to watch it without buying an Apple product.
Being able to AirPlay directly to the TV would be handy. My LG just missed this capability I think though.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #1076
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Being able to AirPlay directly to the TV would be handy. My LG just missed this capability I think though.
Yeah the 2019s have Airplay and Chromecast support. Hopefully Apple makes an Android app for TV like they did with music.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #1077
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thoughts on streaming devices? My vizio TV, beautiful as she is, has very poor wifi reception and I have to get a streaming device that has all the newest formats that Netflix has (dolby vision etc). I was going to get a firestick 4k, because I read chromecast ultra doesn't support dolby vision, but that's been updated? Thoughts on streamers?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #1078
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Thoughts on streaming devices? My vizio TV, beautiful as she is, has very poor wifi reception and I have to get a streaming device that has all the newest formats that Netflix has (dolby vision etc). I was going to get a firestick 4k, because I read chromecast ultra doesn't support dolby vision, but that's been updated? Thoughts on streamers?
Is there a reason you don't have your TV plugged in? Is the idea that you want your streaming box to be on wifi as well?

Imo, if you're having trouble with WiFi at 4k on the TV, you will have trouble with 4k on any wifi connected device.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #1079
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Is there a reason you don't have your TV plugged in? Is the idea that you want your streaming box to be on wifi as well?

Imo, if you're having trouble with WiFi at 4k on the TV, you will have trouble with 4k on any wifi connected device.
I don't have an ethernet cable where the tv is.

The Vizio p 2018 has notoriously weak WiFi performance. I got a chromecast ultra and can test it out soon.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:16 PM   #1080
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it works really well. But I went and checked and did more testing and it looks like it's just the plex app on Vizio that's causing an issue. Wireless I was able to stream Dolby Vision 4k on the native netflix app.

So the question now is, do I want to have a 90 dollar device for use only with plex. Lame.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post: