Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2023, 10:38 AM   #10381
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post

A bi-partison centrist caucus that could at least agree on some basic legislation to keep the country running is badly needed. The fringes are more than happy to watch the country burn and are holding the country hostage.
It's generally centre-right policies that have set the country on fire since Reagan but sure, let's blame the folks on the left, who think people shouldn't have to start GoFundMes to pay for their cancer treatments, for the current state of things.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 11:41 AM   #10382
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
The logistics of that seem tough. I am skeptical whether a deal that gets some Republican support can be palatable to democrats. It would be nice if centrist types from both parties could at least agree to keep the government running.

The Democrats may have to concede to support keeping McCarthy as speaker to do it and that seems unlikely. If McCarthy brings forward a bill that doesn't have freedom caucus support counting on Democrat votes, the freedom caucus would act quickly to remove him as speaker, I would think.

A bi-partison centrist caucus that could at least agree on some basic legislation to keep the country running is badly needed. The fringes are more than happy to watch the country burn and are holding the country hostage.
All US politicians have rich benefactors who donate wild amounts of money to them. The odds those people are going to let these people tank the economy seems remote to me. They'll saber rattle until the last moment but the rich guys will tell them to get their stuff together and get a deal.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 12:26 PM   #10383
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
All US politicians have rich benefactors who donate wild amounts of money to them. The odds those people are going to let these people tank the economy seems remote to me. They'll saber rattle until the last moment but the rich guys will tell them to get their stuff together and get a deal.
Pretty much. This stuff is all theatre.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:28 PM   #10384
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Anyone got odds on a Mexico invasion in the next decade?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1661541635698708480
Where's Ted Cruz gonna vacation when his state is in crisis?

Where am I gonna vacation for that matter?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:52 PM   #10385
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I think the freedom caucus and their ilk have demonstrated that they are not that beholden to people who care about economic stability of the country. They have been salivating for this moment since their smugness in dragging out the speaker vote.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 02:22 PM   #10386
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This is an interesting issue. The current Mexican president is basically a cartel puppet, and with how brutal the cartels are you might see a lot of support from the general population for the US to do something about them. If that happens, does the Mexican president go so far as to order his military to engage US troops? And if so does the Mexican military follow those orders?
I doubt you'd see much in the way of direct military engagement with U.S. troops. I can almost guarantee you there would be guerilla warfare, with cartel militias being funded and supplied by the Mexican government and military.
Old 05-26-2023, 02:48 PM   #10387
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I doubt you'd see much in the way of direct military engagement with U.S. troops. I can almost guarantee you there would be guerilla warfare, with cartel militias being funded and supplied by the Mexican government and military.
I would guess the mexican government would cooperate fully with the US, they would essentially invite them in (under duress no doubt) the Cartels will continue to operate probably in a scaled back fashion, US troops will be sniped at, contaminated drugs will kill thousands in the US, after 4 or 5 years the US will get bored and go home, Mexico will likely collapse into anarchy at that point ala Iraq
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 03:05 PM   #10388
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think publicly they'd fully cooperate. In actuality I think they'd continuously sabotage any real effort to wipe out the cartels.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 02:27 PM   #10389
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Texas to allow law replacing certified counsellors with untrained religious "chaplains" in school systems.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05...lains-schools/

This will end well...
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2023, 10:57 PM   #10390
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

NYT is reporting that there's a deal reached for the debt ceiling limit raise. I guess we'll see if the Freedom Caucus goes for it or if they need some Dems to vote for it. Supposedly for 2 years to get past the next election.

(paywalled but here's the link https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/27/u...ling-deal.html)

Also Texas state House of Representatives voted 121 to 23 to impeach state Attorney General Ken Paxton. Wild.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 12:12 AM   #10391
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

Also Texas state House of Representatives voted 121 to 23 to impeach state Attorney General Ken Paxton. Wild.
Not really, Paxton has been investigated for corruption, bribery and other crimes for years, it's wild that it took this long.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 12:41 AM   #10392
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Texas to allow law replacing certified counsellors with untrained religious "chaplains" in school systems.

This will end well...
A huge win for Santa Claus believers everywhere.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:08 AM   #10393
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

This will end well...
Come on now have some faith, I mean its not like religious leaders have a long and extensive history of abusing kids
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:42 AM   #10394
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lower the quality of education available to the general public - Check
Increase the reach of Christianity throughout society, including schools and government - Check
Divide the population to prevent any united uprising of significance - Check
Push movements to 'other' groups that are unlike us - Check
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 09:37 AM   #10395
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Lower the quality of education available to the general public - Check
Increase the reach of Christianity throughout society, including schools and government - Check
Divide the population to prevent any united uprising of significance - Check
Push movements to 'other' groups that are unlike us - Check
Exactly. Two parties that are completely beholden to their corporate backers.

The whole system is setup to help the ultra wealthy get more ultra wealthy. They do this by getting the plebs to see other groups of plebs as the enemy, distracting them from the fact that the ultra wealthy are exploiting them.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 10:28 AM   #10396
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
NYT is reporting that there's a deal reached for the debt ceiling limit raise. I guess we'll see if the Freedom Caucus goes for it or if they need some Dems to vote for it. Supposedly for 2 years to get past the next election.

(paywalled but here's the link https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/27/u...ling-deal.html)

And in case there's ever any doubt as to where Biden Democrats fall on the political spectrum: basically a freeze or cut to all federal spending for two years except for... the military. That, of course, has to keep increasing because reasons.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:10 AM   #10397
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1662431349838413824
Old 05-28-2023, 11:36 AM   #10398
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
And in case there's ever any doubt as to where Biden Democrats fall on the political spectrum: basically a freeze or cut to all federal spending for two years except for... the military. That, of course, has to keep increasing because reasons.

Seems like that would be a concession to the Republicans in order to get a deal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/25/u...-spending.html

Quote:
President Biden has offered to freeze discretionary spending, including for defense. Republicans want to spend more for the military, and cut more elsewhere.

Funding for the military has emerged as a key sticking point in reaching an agreement to raise the nation’s borrowing limit and prevent a catastrophic default, with Republicans pushing to spare the Defense Department from spending caps and make deeper cuts to domestic programs like education.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 11:37 AM   #10399
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1662840461948514308
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2023, 01:03 PM   #10400
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Seems like that would be a concession to the Republicans in order to get a deal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/25/u...-spending.html
Raytheon and others WILL get paid!