Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2023, 01:24 PM   #9401
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

The answer to your question is no, of course Matata didn't.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:08 PM   #9402
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

"Of course I didn't murder that person your honour, look at all this footage I have of me not murdering anyone!"
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 02:18 PM   #9403
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I never really thought much of the "fake news" until Trump made that popular. I was naive and thought people were able to filter that out or question it a bit. Turns out he was right, but I don't think he was calling for critical thinking or awareness, just trying to validate the views of the crazy.

And yes, I know that there are biases on both ends of the spectrum, but quite frankly they aren't equivalent. I've switched fully pretty much to APnews and Reuters for international info.

It is amazing how mainstream conspiratorial and tribal thinking has become in regards to news/pandemic/literally any issue. The internet has certainly played a part in this I think, and may not be the great saviour of the world it may have once been touted to be.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:46 PM   #9404
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I never really thought much of the "fake news" until Trump made that popular. I was naive and thought people were able to filter that out or question it a bit. Turns out he was right, but I don't think he was calling for critical thinking or awareness, just trying to validate the views of the crazy.

And yes, I know that there are biases on both ends of the spectrum, but quite frankly they aren't equivalent. I've switched fully pretty much to APnews and Reuters for international info.

It is amazing how mainstream conspiratorial and tribal thinking has become in regards to news/pandemic/literally any issue. The internet has certainly played a part in this I think, and may not be the great saviour of the world it may have once been touted to be.
The internet is the greatest advancement in the history of humanity. But, like any powerful tool, it has positives and negatives. One positive is that group thought and immediate information sharing allows for rapid advancement on technological fronts with breakneck pace. One negative is that group thought and immediate information sharing leads to echo chambers that fortify specific view points, and the rapidity of information sharing makes it intensely difficult to mediate narratives.

It's the communications equivalent to the nuclear energy. It can be made into bombs or can be an incredible source of dense, carbon zero energy.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:47 PM   #9405
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
"Of course I didn't murder that person your honour, look at all this footage I have of me not murdering anyone!"
Wasn't that literally Brett Kavanagh's response when he was being nominated for the Supreme Court? "Look at all these women I didn't sexually assault!"
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:52 PM   #9406
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
Did you not question why they didn’t show him peacefully enter or peacefully leave?

They showed just a couple minutes of his hour plus stay in the building. It doesn’t show him breaking in with the crowd or refusing to leave. The actual crimes.

I would agree four years for what was shown in the video would be a travesty. But this was pretty much showing the four minutes he wasn’t breaking the law and you’re falling for it.
No, but other media sources have.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-chec...n-193191103193

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...l/11431180002/
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:09 PM   #9407
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"Do NOT trust mainstream media" - Is this an unfortunate concession one must make due to the incestuous nature of modern govt, corporations and the media; or is it just contrarians getting carried away?

Quote:
Arguing for motion ("Do NOT trust mainstream media") was the associate editor of The Spectator magazine, Fox News contributor, and bestselling author of The Madness of Crowds, Douglas Murray. He was joined on stage by Substack publishing sensation, former Rolling Stone contributing editor, and investigative journalist, Matt Taibbi

Arguing against the resolution was the internationally acclaimed author, podcaster and veteran New Yorker staff writer, Malcolm Gladwell. His debate partner was Michelle Goldberg, New York Times columnist, MSNBC contributor, former American Prospect senior correspondent and senior writer for The Nation.

The audience voted on this resolution prior to hearing the debate. 48% voted in favour of the resolution, while 52% voted against the resolution.

At the end of the debate, another poll was conducted. 67% voted in favour of the motion, while 33% voted against it, representing a 39% vote gain for the PRO side [PRO = Don't trust the MSM].
The 39% vote gain is the largest differential in the Munk debate history, typically the poll shifts are <10%. The debate took place ~3 months ago in Toronto, so it's probably fair to assume the crowd consisted of southern ontario intellectuals. I'd say both sides had about the best representation they were going to get.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:45 PM   #9408
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
"Do NOT trust mainstream media" - Is this an unfortunate concession one must make due to the incestuous nature of modern govt, corporations and the media; or is it just contrarians getting carried away?

The 39% vote gain is the largest differential in the Munk debate history, typically the poll shifts are <10%. The debate took place ~3 months ago in Toronto, so it's probably fair to assume the crowd consisted of southern ontario intellectuals. I'd say both sides had about the best representation they were going to get.
Not trusting the mainstream media is akin to not trusting your life raft when the boat goes down, its all you have, everything else is worse, you are an idiot with no rational ability to work #### out for yourself beyond your own tiny circle of knowledge of your own equally tiny life, I have a miniscule knowledge of foster parenting and youth drug use specifically in the lower mainland, it doesn't even apply beyond Hope, nothing you or I randomly come across on you tube or Facebook has any verifiable validity, to assume it is anything other than utter bull#### is to be intellectually scammed.

The only remotely trustworthy source of information you have is MSM, it might be wrong but it is all you have, everything else is unverified biased plain lying crap that you have no ability to judge the right and wrong of and you will also apply your own bias when judging it anyway, you might as well sacrifice a chicken as to trust the internet
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 03:52 PM   #9409
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I vote the contrarians getting carried away. The media has been bastardized for the past 40 years, thanks to "conservatives" and their desire to create an alternate reality where facts don't matter. Reagan made it a reality when his administration killed off the Fairness Doctrine eliminating the requirement of balance and truth. This allowed the Joseph Coors (Nazi sypathizer) to achieve his wet dream of creating a conservative news channel that would promote "conservative ideals" rather than seek out the facts. This led to an explosion in conservative media sources who work in concert with each other, taking talking points directly from the RNC. The massive noise machine they have created and the even larger profits they have managed to milk from the system they intentionally broke is something everyone should be forced to understand. But it's the traditional media that is to blame for the loss of trust, right? Don't blame the lying liars who made this happen, blame the entire industry for an evolution they were forced into.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 03:53 PM   #9410
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The alternative to getting news form the MSM is making it up yourself, or trusting randos on the internet. Musk has tried this trusting randos thing a few times, and ends up with egg on his face(like the Pelosi story). So by rejecting one, you are embracing the other. And frankly, if Matata's world view is any indication of just how bad randos on the internet are with facts, it should be a pretty good indicator to the rest of us where our trust should lie on sources for facts.

That's not to say the MSM is right all the time, but if I'm looking elsewhere, I'm verifying the #### outa that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:56 PM   #9411
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I mean it should be pretty easy for a Fox News contributor to get people to agree that Main Stream media shouldn't be trusted.

Their entire argument can be wrapped up in 5 points:

1) Fox News is considered "Mainstream Media"
2) We actively push stories we know are false
3) No Seriously, we do, Tucker even got out of a lawsuit by admitting no reasonable person would believe that what he is saying are actual facts
4) Oh yeah, but we still tell all of our viewers that we are presenting real news and objective facts
5) Everyone in the mainstream media does what we do (note, we will not be providing evidence of this, please refer to points 2-4 for reasoning)

In conclusion, we have proved you shouldn't trust mainstream media.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:30 PM   #9412
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

All media should only be consumed critically, and the MSM is no exception. Trust the MSM because it's the best you have is only true if you have no media literacy and research skills.

There are enumerable high quality sources of information outside the MSM. The world is full of primary sources of data, open policy documents, videos of actual events and hearings, books written by people who do good research or had primary experience, and on and on... all of which should be consumed critically.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 04:34 PM   #9413
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey look, more video evidence showing that Jan 6 was a staged event was just released. I know lots of you have a justifiable grudge against Tucker, but don't hold your breathe hoping for a left-leaning source to be objective after they spent years hammering the public with the notion that this one of the greatest tragedies in American history.

TLDW: The Qanon shaman was peacefully led around the capital building by police, even leading him to the room where his infamous photo was taken, this footage was hidden away during his trial and significantly impacted his punishment of 4 years in jail. He's also unjustly spent 320 days in solitary confinement for this.

Do you actually believe this BS?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:49 PM   #9414
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Do you actually believe this BS?
That's, like, the least wild thing he believes...

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...on#post8378987

I think his critical thinking skills/media literacy need some work.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 04:56 PM   #9415
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's, like, the least wild thing he believes...

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...on#post8378987

I think his critical thinking skills/media literacy need some work.
That is . . . something.

Wait, that person posted that, fled and then never returned to the thread ever again?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:57 PM   #9416
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Be skeptical, don't just embrace a different credulity.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:40 PM   #9417
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recent video on how America spreads democracy around the world

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 10:26 PM   #9418
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Recent video on how America spreads democracy around the world

This video should just be titled "A Brief Summary of Stephen Kinzer's 'Overthrow'". Based on this guy's list of sources, this video looks to be 90%+ just taken from Kinzer's book and repackaged for youtube with a lot more dramatization, emotional narration, and far less detail.

The book is much better. True Flag, Kinzer's most recent book, is also very worth reading on the ideological and political evolution of American imperialism.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:09 AM   #9419
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's happening down there?!

https://www.expressnews.com/politics...s-17832820.php

https://twitter.com/user/status/1634319442971639808

Quote:
State Rep. Tony Tinderholt, a conservative Republican from Arlington,#introduced a bill on Friday#that would ban people in the country without legal permission as well as citizens of China and three other countries from being admitted to public colleges and universities in Texas.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:52 AM   #9420
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's something familiar in Tinderholt's thinking....

Is there any chance it actually passes?

The US and Australia are both going nuts right now wrt China.