Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #1441
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright - I totally didn't know about this till recently but thought I'd pass it along.

I needed to replace some NAS drives and was looking at $275 for NAS specific drives. Then I learned that people were buying the $189 8TB WD MyBook drives from Costco and removing them from their enclosures ("shucking") to use as some of them were actually WD Red units.

I just did this today with a unit from the South Costco bought today. It has a new WD80EDAZ drive which is a relative unknown on the basis ofthe IU HA500 P/N seems to suggest it's a WD Ultrastar HC320.

Time will tell how good these are in the long run but for now it's a hell of a way to fill a NAS...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #1442
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Those drives can be lower quality that didn’t pass certain QA requirements. That’s why they’re so cheap. I’ve bought them to use as rarely-accessed backups but I wouldn’t put them in a NAS that’s under constant use.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #1443
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

That thought crossed my mind - but people have been doing this for the last 7 years (or more) and there hasn't been a raft of "OMG" my array failed reports on the intertubes. Initial reports was that these EDAZ drives run hot but have one of these in an enclosure that has WD Red, Ironwolf, and a Hitachi and I can tell you they are all at about the same temp of 39C. Will keep an eye on LCC count in the long run.

My array has fault tolerance so I have some latitude in addition to backing to cloud. Besides - from my experience the much vaunted WD Red and Ironwolf drives last all of 3 years which seems to put it on par with non NAS Drives....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #1444
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah that one would be ok I guess, not a huge fan of it and it's an older design, but it'd do the job I'm sure. We'll see how patient I can be lol.
I have that very case and it's great.

It's done a tremendous job of keeping dust out and cool air in and looks pretty good too.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #1445
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
That thought crossed my mind - but people have been doing this for the last 7 years (or more) and there hasn't been a raft of "OMG" my array failed reports on the intertubes. Initial reports was that these EDAZ drives run hot but have one of these in an enclosure that has WD Red, Ironwolf, and a Hitachi and I can tell you they are all at about the same temp of 39C. Will keep an eye on LCC count in the long run.

My array has fault tolerance so I have some latitude in addition to backing to cloud. Besides - from my experience the much vaunted WD Red and Ironwolf drives last all of 3 years which seems to put it on par with non NAS Drives....
My reds are 5-6 years old. I've been wanting to upgrade from 4 to 8 TB but prices on spinning drives aren't coming down like they used to. I'm hoping they hold out until I can replace them with SSDs.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #1446
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if I want to get a 3080 GPU on Thursday, what's the best way to go about it? Just show up at Memory Express and hope they have stock?
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:57 PM   #1447
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
So if I want to get a 3080 GPU on Thursday, what's the best way to go about it? Just show up at Memory Express and hope they have stock?
Or order it now. Amazon has it.

https://www.amazon.ca/stores/GeForce...language=en_CA
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:46 AM   #1448
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Time will tell how good these are in the long run but for now it's a hell of a way to fill a NAS...
The Seagate external drives are also a popular option for shucking and can be easier since you don't need to disable the 3.3v pin for desktop usage. While not on sale now, Amazon will sometimes discount the 14TB to $331 and the 16TB to $400 and are good options if you need extremely large amounts of space. Both use the top-end Exos model.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...IK6Y9EEQB&th=1

Last edited by accord1999; 09-15-2020 at 07:01 AM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #1449
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
The Seagate external drives are also a popular option for shucking and can be easier since you don't need to disable the 3.3v pin for desktop usage. While not on sale now, Amazon will sometimes discount the 14TB to $331 and the 16TB to $400 and are good options if you need extremely large amounts of space. Both use the top-end Exos model.

Amazon also has the 16TB Seagate Exos (enterprise grade) drives on sale for $500

https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-256MB-...s%2C179&sr=8-5
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #1450
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a good resource out there to teach me about home network and NAS? I basically want a server in the basement wherein I can access all files and media from any connected device. Getting up to change out a Blu-ray disc? How inconvenient.

EDIT: I'm going to build a wired cat6 network.

Last edited by CroFlames; 09-15-2020 at 09:26 AM.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #1451
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

3080 FE reviews are popping up

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graph...dition-ampere/

Long and the short; reasonable gains (~40%) at FHD and QHD over the 2080, 70-80% gains at 4K(!!) and these numbers also scale with RTX+DLSS.

71 FPS Average in Shadow of the Tomb Raider w/ RTX On @ 4K is massive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #1452
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Amazon also has the 16TB Seagate Exos (enterprise grade) drives on sale for $500

https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-256MB-...s%2C179&sr=8-5
So I built a NAS about 9 months ago using shucked 12TB Seagates which had Iron wolf drives and I'm getting reallocated sector count SMART warnings already on one of the six drives. Pretty annoyed and hoping it doesn't get worse but these being Seagates I'm not optimistic.

Probably should have just shelled out more for the Enterprise grade.

Last edited by FlameOn; 09-16-2020 at 08:13 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #1453
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Gamers Nexus benchmarks where compared to 2080 Super and 2080 Ti and had 25-30% increases in 4K. So snatch up those 2080 Ti cards people are selling for cheap!

I have a 2080 and I'll probably upgrade at some point but if I had a 2080 Ti I'd probably be a lot less inclined to do so.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #1454
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gamers Nexus benchmarks where compared to 2080 Super and 2080 Ti and had 25-30% increases in 4K. So snatch up those 2080 Ti cards people are selling for cheap!
It better be stupid cheap, I wouldn't bother myself.

EDIT:

https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graph...mpere/?page=17

This graph divides the same average 4K framerate by the dollar SRP for each card. The $699 pricing clearly works well in conjunction with the performance. GeForce RTX 3080 is eminently fast and offers value for money: a rarity for a genuinely high-performance GPU.

Last edited by chemgear; 09-16-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #1455
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Given that Memex upgraded my faulty 1080 Ti card to a brand new 2080 Ti card in January, I'm in no rush to update. Those new cards are putting out some impressive numbers though.

I will say on the Hexus review site, they compare to the Founders Edition cards. I definitely get better temps (and performance), out of a the ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti card. Interesting to see how non-founders edition track against the current generation.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #1456
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it bad that I'm rooting for my TV to die so I have an excuse to upgrade my PC?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #1457
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Long and the short; reasonable gains (~40%) at FHD and QHD over the 2080, 70-80% gains at 4K(!!) and these numbers also scale with RTX+DLSS.
Quote:
The results seem like they've been completely inconsistent thus far. Until someone figures out why, and until there's a consensus, I'd just hold off on literally everything. Selling, buying, all of it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #1458
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

2080 Super/Ti are 20-30% faster than a 2080, which would account for some of the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #1459
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

3080 is exactly what I expected, good card not ball dropping amazing. Perf/watt is good frames/$ is good. 10GB of RAM will be an issue though but this is how Nvidia rolls, put as little memory on the cards as they can get away with so you're forced to upgrade.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #1460
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
3080 is exactly what I expected, good card not ball dropping amazing.
It's pretty darn nice considering the 2080/2080ti generation prices. Glad to have skipped buying those completely.

I was expecting the performance uptick but also those same (if not higher prices).