Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #1
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ticket Refunds; Seatgeek, Ticketmaster, Vivid Seats,

CP

How is each ticket reseller facilitating your ticket refunds?

Myself;
I haven't heard from Seat Geek for my March; Flames/Rangers @ MSG, nor Flames/Islanders @ Barclays, as their website still has the games as TBD.

Ticketmaster though, did send a note yesterday, for the Flames/Islanders @ Barclays.

Quote:
Don’t worry — there’s nothing else you need to do.

Quick Note: Since your tickets were transferred to you, meaning you didn’t purchase them from Ticketmaster, the refund will be given to the original ticket purchaser.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. We look forward to gathering and celebrating the live experience together again.

–Ticketmaster Fan Support
Don't worry they say. Actually, I will worry. How does that original owner ensure the re-buyer gets their refund/credit?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I don't have much to add, other than that is constant with what the Flames told me. The tickets that I transferred to a coworker would be credited back to me, and it was up to me to refund the coworker.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Don't worry they say. Actually, I will worry. How does that original owner ensure the re-buyer gets their refund/credit?
I would worry because you aren't getting that money back. Ticketmaster refunds the original buyer of the ticket. That buyer has no information on who bought the tickets so they can't make anything right. I'd call your credit card company and start a chargeback.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got this back from Seat Geek today.
Quote:
Based on the most recent updates regarding the coronavirus, we are treating your event Calgary Flames at New York Rangers on March 16 as canceled.

Don’t worry, the tickets you purchased are protected by SeatGeek’s Buyer Guarantee and you will be entitled to a refund of at least 100% of your original order. We will contact you with more specific details regarding your refund within the next 1 - 2 weeks, if not sooner. If you received a hardstock ticket or wristband for your event, you may need it to receive a refund, so hold onto it.
Good news for me, with Seat Geek.

Sounds like Ticketmaster, could potentially be much worse to work with than Seat Geek. The onus, in good faith, is for the original ticket holder to credit the owner whom held the tickets most recently.

Further, if the tickets have been moved a few times, does Ticketmaster provide teh final owner info, to the original/season ticket owner?

EDIT: Posted after reading rain_e's reply.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tickets I purchased on Ticketmaster (Calgary at NYR) were refunded about a week before the NHL officially pulled the plug on the regular season (upon request; apparently it was up to each team, and the Rangers were one of the teams to agree to process refunds earlier).

I also purchased tickets on Stubhub for a few other games and nothing has been processed as of yet (games are still showing as "TBA"). I believe they are only offering credits to buyers (120% of the original payment amount) instead of refunds, so I'm not sure when/how that will play out...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would call your credit card company and dispute the original charge.

I bought tickets for a flight that was supposed to happen in April, but didn't happen. The airline played hardball but Capital One (CC) refunded the cost when I called them and explained even though the airline did offer a credit (which I didn't want). They were actually really good to deal with about it.

In this case you bought tickets to a game that didn't happen so should be fairly straight forward
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
I would worry because you aren't getting that money back. Ticketmaster refunds the original buyer of the ticket. That buyer has no information on who bought the tickets so they can't make anything right. I'd call your credit card company and start a chargeback.

What? You'll get the money back, but it may not be instantaneous.

Here's what I did as a STH. I sold a pair of tickets to a friend for a game that was cancelled. When it was announced the game was cancelled I texted her and asked how she'd like her money refunded. She confirmed her email address and I sent her an Interac eTransfer. Why wouldn't I have information on which of my friends I transferred my tickets to? These aren't tickets that were sold through ticketmaster. In that case, ticketmaster refunds the purchaser directly and I am charged an amount by the Flames/ticketmaster for that game. When I get a refund from the Flames for the game not being played, because I paid for it as a STH, it gets netted against the price of the game cancelled, and I get the difference in a refund

I also sold a few games from FansFirst. After my sale, they sent me money. Once the game status was announced as cancelled, FansFirst emailed me asking for the money back. I sent it to them via an Interac eTransfer, the same format they sent me the money in. They will then refund the purchaser directly from their end. FansFirst has some exposure and risk if the STHs don't return the money. You, as a purchaser, are only at risk if FansFirst, SeatGeek, StubHub, etc. go bankrupt and can't refund you. Obviously if the purchase and sale aren't done through ticketmaster, then ticketmaster can't send a refund to whoever is the last person to hold the ticket. What amount would they refund? If I transferred a pair of tickets to my brother for free, ticketmaster wouldn't know if I gave them to him or sold them.

I don't see what the problem is with any of the processes that have been announced. Flames refund STHs. STHs are charged back for any games they sold through the ticketmaster site, as they already have been paid those amounts. STHs refund any friends, families, buyers directly. STHs refund any 3rd party sellers (e.g. FansFirst). 3rd part sellers refund purchasers. It's not even that complicated. To start calling VISA to demand a chargeback seems ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #8
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I would call your credit card company and dispute the original charge.

I bought tickets for a flight that was supposed to happen in April, but didn't happen. The airline played hardball but Capital One (CC) refunded the cost when I called them and explained even though the airline did offer a credit (which I didn't want). They were actually really good to deal with about it.

In this case you bought tickets to a game that didn't happen so should be fairly straight forward
Capital One told flair air to pound sand. They offered me a credit, and I told them no thanks. Anyones guess if that ####ty airline will exist in a year or two. Cap one got me my money back in a fairly painless process.

Last edited by White Out 403; 05-29-2020 at 05:19 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Tickets I purchased on Ticketmaster (Calgary at NYR) were refunded about a week before the NHL officially pulled the plug on the regular season (upon request; apparently it was up to each team, and the Rangers were one of the teams to agree to process refunds earlier).

I also purchased tickets on Stubhub for a few other games and nothing has been processed as of yet (games are still showing as "TBA"). I believe they are only offering credits to buyers (120% of the original payment amount) instead of refunds, so I'm not sure when/how that will play out...
Interesting. I sold my Canadian Grand Prix tickets on stub hub for a profit. So I’m actually gonna take a loss if it gets refunded to the buyer from stubhub and then my original tickets get refunded to me from the promoter.

But so far neither stubhub nor the promoter have said anything about refunds.

Eventually I think stubs going to have to give people back the cash. It would be insane for them to only offer credits long term.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #10
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

I doubt StubHub is going to offer refunds.

They’re likely done.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkir...rst-deal-ever/

Quote:
Fifteen years after Eric Baker was fired from StubHub, the ticketing giant he cofounded, he bought it back for $4 billion—weeks before coronavirus utterly wrecked the business. Revenge isn’t always sweet.
Quote:
Three months later, on February 13, 2020, the deal closed. Baker, 47, whose company had paid with a combination of $2 billion in debt and $2 billion in cash, had created a global colossus that sold millions of event tickets last year, bringing in $1.5 billion in combined annual revenue. His 23% stake in the new firm put him close to becoming a billionaire.

Then came the pandemic.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #11
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Interesting. I sold my Canadian Grand Prix tickets on stub hub for a profit. So I’m actually gonna take a loss if it gets refunded to the buyer from stubhub and then my original tickets get refunded to me from the promoter.
That’s not taking a loss. That’s reducing your profit to zero or breaking even. Even if you have to pay cash now, you are, at worst, returning an interest free loan.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 09:29 PM   #12
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
I doubt StubHub is going to offer refunds.

They’re likely done.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkir...rst-deal-ever/
If stubhub charges back sellers (because the tickets are no longer valid for events) like they’re supposed to, they should eventually be getting all of that money back, no? I can’t speak to their other business expenses, but I would think the issue should be cash flow, not the balance sheet.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:33 AM   #13
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
What? You'll get the money back, but it may not be instantaneous.

Here's what I did as a STH. I sold a pair of tickets to a friend for a game that was cancelled. When it was announced the game was cancelled I texted her and asked how she'd like her money refunded. She confirmed her email address and I sent her an Interac eTransfer. Why wouldn't I have information on which of my friends I transferred my tickets to? These aren't tickets that were sold through ticketmaster. In that case, ticketmaster refunds the purchaser directly and I am charged an amount by the Flames/ticketmaster for that game. When I get a refund from the Flames for the game not being played, because I paid for it as a STH, it gets netted against the price of the game cancelled, and I get the difference in a refund

I also sold a few games from FansFirst. After my sale, they sent me money. Once the game status was announced as cancelled, FansFirst emailed me asking for the money back. I sent it to them via an Interac eTransfer, the same format they sent me the money in. They will then refund the purchaser directly from their end. FansFirst has some exposure and risk if the STHs don't return the money. You, as a purchaser, are only at risk if FansFirst, SeatGeek, StubHub, etc. go bankrupt and can't refund you. Obviously if the purchase and sale aren't done through ticketmaster, then ticketmaster can't send a refund to whoever is the last person to hold the ticket. What amount would they refund? If I transferred a pair of tickets to my brother for free, ticketmaster wouldn't know if I gave them to him or sold them.

I don't see what the problem is with any of the processes that have been announced. Flames refund STHs. STHs are charged back for any games they sold through the ticketmaster site, as they already have been paid those amounts. STHs refund any friends, families, buyers directly. STHs refund any 3rd party sellers (e.g. FansFirst). 3rd part sellers refund purchasers. It's not even that complicated. To start calling VISA to demand a chargeback seems ridiculous.
To clarify; Ticketmaster identified whom the end buyer of your tickets was for you? Because in our case, we bought them off Ticketmaster from a likely Rangers season ticket holder, who doesn't know us from a hole in the ground.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #14
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
To clarify; Ticketmaster identified whom the end buyer of your tickets was for you? Because in our case, we bought them off Ticketmaster from a likely Rangers season ticket holder, who doesn't know us from a hole in the ground.
For the tickets I sold through Ticketmaster, I will be charged back the amount I received from Ticketmaster through the Flames, which was about $900. I am refunded for all games unplayed from the Flames which was about $1,500. The $600 difference can be either refunded in cash, or applied to my STH account for the 2020-21 season. The person who bought the tickets directly from Ticketmaster will be refunded directly from Ticketmaster, whether the tickets were listed for sale by the team or from a STH. This is for all tickets purchased directly through Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster will have the information of the buyer and seller and will facilitate the transactions.

If you had bought tickets through me from the CP ticket exchange, I would have transferred you the tickets from my STH account. This is not a purchase and sale facilitated by Ticketmaster. In this case I would still be refunded as I’m the STH and I paid for a game that didn’t happen. The onus would be on me to refund any money you paid to me back to you because this was a private transaction. Ticketmaster can’t be responsible for any of these.

If you had bought my tickets through FansFirst, I would not know you purchased them. FansFirst would have both our information and they are responsible for facilitating the return of payments and then the refunds to the purchasers. STHs still are refunded from Ticketmaster, even if they have moved these tickets to other people. The biggest risk here is that the STH doesn’t send back the money to FansFirst which causes issues for when FansFirst refunds to purchasers. Hopefully everyone was an adult and sent the funds back so FansFirst isn’t out of pocket.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #15
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For the tickets I sold through Ticketmaster, I will be charged back the amount I received from Ticketmaster through the Flames, which was about $900. I am refunded for all games unplayed from the Flames which was about $1,500. The $600 difference can be either refunded in cash, or applied to my STH account for the 2020-21 season. The person who bought the tickets directly from Ticketmaster will be refunded directly from Ticketmaster, whether the tickets were listed for sale by the team or from a STH. This is for all tickets purchased directly through Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster will have the information of the buyer and seller and will facilitate the transactions.

If you had bought tickets through me from the CP ticket exchange, I would have transferred you the tickets from my STH account. This is not a purchase and sale facilitated by Ticketmaster. In this case I would still be refunded as I’m the STH and I paid for a game that didn’t happen. The onus would be on me to refund any money you paid to me back to you because this was a private transaction. Ticketmaster can’t be responsible for any of these.

If you had bought my tickets through FansFirst, I would not know you purchased them. FansFirst would have both our information and they are responsible for facilitating the return of payments and then the refunds to the purchasers. STHs still are refunded from Ticketmaster, even if they have moved these tickets to other people. The biggest risk here is that the STH doesn’t send back the money to FansFirst which causes issues for when FansFirst refunds to purchasers. Hopefully everyone was an adult and sent the funds back so FansFirst isn’t out of pocket.
Do all NHL clubs use Ticketmaster as the primary ticket distributor? I ask, as the ticket/refund at hand, is for Rangers/MSG, in mid-March.

And related to that, where are you learning of what I bolded? I ask, as our response from Ticketmaster was that the refund was going to the original ticket owner.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #16
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
That’s not taking a loss. That’s reducing your profit to zero or breaking even. Even if you have to pay cash now, you are, at worst, returning an interest free loan.
Yeah I’m aware of how math works. But since I’d have to cough up money from my bank account 6 months later, it’s a loss.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #17
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah I’m aware of how math works. But since I’d have to cough up money from my bank account 6 months later, it’s a loss.
I’m not sure you do. It’s still not a loss unless you consider every outflow of cash to be a loss. You pay back a loan from your bank? That’s a loss. Filled your tank up with gas? That’s a loss. Paid for a meal at a restaurant? There’s another loss. Put money into your RRSP account? The losses continue to pile up.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #18
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Lol. Maybe you and pizza can form a support group for your internet triggers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 10:45 AM   #19
Cowtownred
Draft Pick

I got an email a few weeks back from Fansfirst, to see if I wanted a refund, or a credit for another game.

I requested the refund, which was posted to my cc a few days ago.

Kudos to the guys at Fansfirst. I really hope they survive. If I could of afforded to, I would have taken the option for another game.
Cowtownred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:01 PM   #20
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I do get both sides of the loss/ not a loss thing. Technically, it isn't a loss as you are just losing the profit you originally made. However if that profit was made months ago, and now you have to pay it back out of pocket; that is still money out of pocket.

One might say that if the game was still yet to be played, the money shouldn't have been spent. However we also have never seen games cancelled.

Trying to think of another comparison- let's say I buy a 2005 car from a dealer for $500. I turn around and sell it to Cecil for $1000. These transactions happen in January and February. Then in June, the government put in a law similar to what Japan has limiting the age of cars. And to protect buyers, they are saying any sales in the last 6 months are now void. I now have to give $1000 to Cecil. I get my $500 back from the dealer. I may still be even, but I would certainly feel like I had lost $500 this month.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: