Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #5241
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'm not sure what you're referring to here? Crown Royal railing on WO? Because by my estimation 8+ people took the initiative to join the "mob" (as you usually call it) and criticize Crown, and I'm not sure anyone that didn't explicitly criticize him agreed with Crown's approach.

Or are you talking about Crown getting railed on by 8+ people at once? Of which you were one?

I don't know. I do find it funny that 3-4 of the most common "mob justice" critics were pleased as punch to join in on this one. I think it's just difficult to take you seriously when you're no stranger to personal attacks but wax poetic about "discourse" when it suits you. You practically troll New Era in the American Politics thread at every available opportunity (and he trolls you back, no judgements made here).

Thing is, for all that's said about the internet mob, about personal attacks or discourse or bias or whatever, the majority of you who want to make it an issue lean into it so comfortably when it suits you, that it's just meaningless at this point. I mean I buy Corsi talking about discourse, guy tries constantly to keep it civil, but Azure talking about discourse? Ask him about an electric car and tell me what you think about his level of discourse.

A lot of people rightly disagreed with Crown's approach, but maybe it is sad that the people who pretend to hold up these values that are so important have zero problem dropping them when it suits them. At that point, why are you even bothering to criticise Crown? Who are you pretending for?
Sure I take my shots at lots of people. I also get called on it, which is fine. I'm sure my approach could be a better lots of times, especially on non-political threads.

But I sure haven't gone around launching personal attacks that are based on accusing people of being racist scumbags.

The only criticism I have made in this exchange had to do with what I thought wasn't a well thought out post by Jiri accusing some of having some white fragility going on. But, Jiri probably isn't wrong either. Am I then not allowed to state my opinion on it?

Like I honestly don't get your approach here.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #5242
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a lot to take blame for in this thread, in so far as that I can't seem to keep my replies emotionless. It's not a great character trait and it isn't reserved for online only. In my union days I was the most hated from the "other side" when we had our political infighting, which got really vicious. My close friend who was in the union with me at the time said I had a tendency to go "scorched Earth" on anything, even trivial things.

So I certainly take my share of the blame for not being able to put things in a more civil way. I have a bad habit of assuming the worst intentions of people. So while I know that I live my life and raise my kids with racism playing no part of it, and we try and bring them up in inclusive ways, people don't know that about me and are likely attributing the same negative inferences to my own posts.

I can do better, but, one place where I can't yield ground is the ugly personal attack of being called a racist. It's off putting to me to no end, and I can't abide by an internet stranger hurling such ugly things at me. That's where I'll leave my thoughts for today.

Last edited by White Out 403; 09-28-2020 at 04:57 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #5243
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Sure I take my shots at lots of people. I also get called on it, which is fine. I'm sure my approach could be a better lots of times, especially on non-political threads.

But I sure haven't gone around launching personal attacks that are based on accusing people of being racist scumbags.

The only criticism I have made in this exchange had to do with what I thought wasn't a well thought out post by Jiri accusing some of having some white fragility going on. But, Jiri probably isn't wrong either. Am I then not allowed to state my opinion on it?

Like I honestly don't get your approach here.
Of course you are. But wistfully speaking about the discourse of yesteryear and quoting RBG when you go around throwing your fair share of personal attacks is really silly and kind of embarrassing, isn't it? You call people dense, delusional, dumb, ignorant, and stupid multiple times a week, right? I love a good jab, but complaining about personal attacks seems pretty phony for you.

Same with the people that talk about the "mob" but were happy to join the pile-on.

That's all. Just posers being posers. Makes the criticisms pretty empty, honestly.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #5244
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Of course you are. But wistfully speaking about the discourse of yesteryear and quoting RBG when you go around throwing your fair share of personal attacks is really silly and kind of embarrassing, isn't it? You call people dense, delusional, dumb, ignorant, and stupid multiple times a week, right? I love a good jab, but complaining about personal attacks seems pretty phony for you.

Same with the people that talk about the "mob" but were happy to join the pile-on.

That's all. Just posers being posers. Makes the criticisms pretty empty, honestly.
There's no way you typed that with a straight face.

In the end, this is a private board and can be moderated however they see fit. If that means letting people violate certain rules because they feel it may generate some raw discussion, that's is their prerogative. There may be unintended consequences of that decision, but again, it's their board.

Don't like, delete your account.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #5245
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
There's no way you typed that with a straight face.

In the end, this is a private board and can be moderated however they see fit. If that means letting people violate certain rules because they feel it may generate some raw discussion, that's is their prerogative. There may be unintended consequences of that decision, but again, it's their board.

Don't like, delete your account.
Why wouldn’t I have? I feel like I know where you’re going with this, but “actually read the post” is the response if you are going to state what I stated in the very same post, so please... please be better thought out than that. Please...
Old 09-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #5246
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The best.

You just can't help yourself. LOL.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #5247
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please start a new BLM thread, thanks.