Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #801
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

More PS4 and Vita remote play videos & impressions. Looks like fps might not be the way to go with this.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/11/11/...on-impressions

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/11/11/...eld-4-gameplay

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/11/11/...ivals-gameplay
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #802
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-to-d...-supporting-it

So is Sony doing a complete 180 on their DRM stance? If this is true it's even more restrictive than Microsofts stance.

Looks like they also have a little big brother going on in the PSN where they can check up on you and monitor you if they see fit possibly banning you from PSN if you are not using licensed software (i.e. used games, loaned games, etc);

http://gearnuke.com/sony-updates-sof...icies-imposed/

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-11-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #803
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-to-d...-supporting-it

So is Sony doing a complete 180 on their DRM stance? If this is true it's even more restrictive than Microsofts stance.
The article seems a bit unclear....

Quote:
It is worth noting that an older, abridged version of those terms on the UK site already included a clause preventing the reselling of games for the PS3, but the newer terms have now expanded this to encompass the PS4 too, apparently contradicting Sony's claims that it would not prevent users from selling their games on after use. We have contacted Sony to request clarification on their updated terms, and will update this article if/when we hear from them.
But also mentions the previous version did not include it?

Sony wouldn't back track on this now, it'd be PR suicide. Methinks this is just a website trying to stir up views.

Last edited by ComixZone; 11-11-2013 at 08:19 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #804
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
as the article states - that statement already existed in the current terms, it just now includes PS4 games.

So no, they aren't changing their stance.
It's not just one website as others have picked it up as per the other link I added.

Quote:
13.1. Any information collected in this way, for example, your UGM, the content of your voice and text communications, video of your gameplay, the time and location of your activities, and your name, your PSN Online ID and IP address, may be used by us or our affiliated companies to enforce these Terms and the SEN Terms of Service, to comply with the law, to protect our rights and those of our licensors and users, and to protect the personal safety of our employees and users.
I don't know. To me it sure looks like they are covering their bases here for DRM implementation.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #805
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

No chance they go back on that now. But they likely are covering their base with these terms and conditions just in case, look no further then Bell recently for an example of how poorly it can go when you try to change your terms for an existing base of people.

However Yoshida already responded on twitter when questioned about it with a "No" so it doesn't get much more clear then that.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #806
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Future shop charged me for the PS4 today, hopefully that means I have it for Friday. Still haven't charged me for Battlefield 4 yet and it releases tomorrow.
Same for me but I never got any notifications. Logged into futueshop and saw I was charged for ps4 but not Battlefield 4.

Last edited by Mccree; 11-11-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #807
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's not just one website as others have picked it up as per the other link I added.

I don't know. To me it sure looks like they are covering their bases here for DRM implementation.
Confirmed as nothing new.

Quote:
"That's the terms of service on the European side of PSN," he told Gamasutra. "We have no DRM, no new DRM at all. It's just a legal thing. People can sell PS4 disc games like we've been saying publicly... Legal people come up with these things."
Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #808
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Same for me but I never got any notifications. Logged into futueshop and saw I was charged for ps4 but not Battlefield 4.
Same, and now Battlefield says it's out of stock in my orders but yet it says there are copies available online. I call and ask and the girl says that because I have the E3 discount those copies are apparently different than the ones available online, so I ask what is different about them? Apparently the $20 discount is the only thing different about them.

Well done Future Shop.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #809
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Same, and now Battlefield says it's out of stock in my orders but yet it says there are copies available online. I call and ask and the girl says that because I have the E3 discount those copies are apparently different than the ones available online, so I ask what is different about them? Apparently the $20 discount is the only thing different about them.

Well done Future Shop.
I think this happened last year as well with people who ordered during the E3 sale getting shafted on ship-dates.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #810
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Well done Future Shop.
My Battlefield is out of stick too but I didn't order with the E3 event.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #811
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what Futureshop is doing on this one, just making a mess of the E3 pre-orders.

Killzone has been OOS for pre-orders for over a week now but people can buy them online right now, and they just started another promotion where you get Knack and Killzone for $100.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #812
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Not sure what Futureshop is doing on this one, just making a mess of the E3 pre-orders.

Killzone has been OOS for pre-orders for over a week now but people can buy them online right now, and they just started another promotion where you get Knack and Killzone for $100.
Yeah, I just picked it up separately in store to have it ready to play right away. I'll be able to return it any time until early January I think.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #813
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

What, what? This kinda came out of no where - and it bodes really good sales in the future I think. The digital sales on PSN just got better!

http://kotaku.com/welcome-to-the-ama...ore-1462747295

http://www.amazon.com/b/?node=128953...glink129408-20
Old 11-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #814
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does any one know how much my 2nd gen 120Gb Ps3 will be worth at EB?
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #815
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What's the word on PS4's ability as a media centre?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #816
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Embargos up today for Xbone reviews for some games - updated now:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/11/0...-ghosts-review

When comparing the PS4 and Xbox One versions side-by-side, there’s little to no variation in textures and effects, but there is a discernible difference in resolution. While both are displayed at 1080p, the Xbox One version upscales the game from 720p resolution. In contrast, the PS4 version runs natively at 1080p, which makes character models, weapons, and environments look noticeably sharper and more detailed. The difference is especially apparent on larger-sized TVs, where pixel density weighs more heavily in picture quality.

Oddly, the Xbox One version makes no use of the haptic feedback motors built into the controller’s triggers, and the DualShock 4’s trackpad is used solely as a button to toggle the in-game scoreboard during multiplayer.

There is, however, one notable exclusion from current-gen. Historically, Call of Duty has limited a majority of its modes to 12 players, but offered an additional playlist that supports 18-player matches known as Ground War. While the larger-scale matches live on with the PS4, Xbox One, and PC, owners of the Xbox 360, Wii U, and PS3 versions are capped at 12 players. It’s a surprising step back for the series, and the larger maps could have benefited from the higher player count.

This is possible, in part, because of cross-generation, cross-platform feature parity. Character customization, maps, dynamic events, weapons, gametypes, and constant 60fps multiplayer framerates are ubiquitous across current- and next-gen platforms. The biggest variations between platforms falls upon visuals and player counts. On the current-gen versions Ghosts looks nearly identical, though I did encounter occasional framerate issues during the single-player campaign on PS3 and PS4, whereas my time with the Xbox One version was stable throughout.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #817
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/ca...lefield_4.html

Despite having already played and reviewed Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 on PS4, Xbox One impressions were under embargo until 12 November. Below are Steve's thoughts on Call of Duty: Ghosts and Dave's thoughts on Battlefield 4 and how the games shape up on Microsoft's new console.

Much has already been made of the shortcomings of the Xbox One version of Ghosts, and so it will probably come as no surprise to hear that the Xbone version is lacking in the visual department. It's not just resolution that has suffered, however, although that in itself is fairly disappointing.

In the single-player game, at least, texture quality can range from average to very poor, and geometry itself can look clipped and badly aliased, giving the game a jaggy, muddy look that does nothing to tell you that your £429 investment was a good one. In some cases, elements of the world look barely textured at all, as is the case when the battle cruiser is seen at the end of the 'Fort Santa Monica Beachhead' mission. It was so bad that I navigated to the dashboard to ensure that the machine had been set up correctly. It had...

Multiplayer also looks demonstrably worse than in the PS4 version, with similar problems afflicting the look of the game. Mechanically it is identical, and at least the game ran stable enough to keep me blaming myself and not the frame rate for any kills I may have suffered. (Although I had no problems with the PS4 build, some users are reporting frame rate issues on Sony's machine.)

To some people, the difference will be negligible.

But to those that do care, the difference in image quality between the two consoles is clearly visible. In the Xbox One’s case – a hugely important launch title for Microsoft’s machine - it makes the step up to next-gen that little less spectacular, signifying a trait players have been used to for years on current-gen consoles and an obvious step down from PC.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #818
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
What's the word on PS4's ability as a media centre?
Out of the box there's not a lot of good news - but it sounds like Sony is reacting to negative fan reaction, and with the track record they've established so far, I'd be surprised if they didn't address it.

Link
Old 11-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #819
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Performance testing with Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One. Pretty damn ugly

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #820
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS4 Hard Drive available space - just over 400 GB (not surprising with streaming video, OS, etc. - I assume the Xbone will be similar?):