Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #41
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Really thinking about bike tires... but I'm not sure the other components on the bike will like the cold.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #42
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Dion's obviously not driven in Calgary during really poor weather conditions, what with our lack of snow removal, large patches of ice at intersections caused by cars sitting over snow and melting it, then freezing, heaved pavement, idiot drivers going 20 on Deerfoot, cars doing 360s going down Sarcee Trail, doofuses in SUVs that tailgate me and then I slam the brakes and watch them hit the guard rail, doofuses in BMWs that crash into the cement rail going down the 11 ave exit off Crowchild (note to people that buy rear-wheel drive cars: YOUR LOW PROFILE SUMMER TIRES DON'T WORK IN WINTER!), and the other countless displays of idiocy I see every winter here.
I haven't? really?

Winter tires or not I tend to stay off the roads during really poor winter driving conditions. I have witnessed what you have said and refuse to be on the same road as those idotic drivers. City transit was always a nice option.

That being said I drive a small sized SUV and I certainly don't drive like those idiotic SUV drivers
Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #43
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have any good tire review sites? I'm looking at Nokians but I want something comparable to look at and just read some general reviews.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #44
twotoner
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Really thinking about bike tires... but I'm not sure the other components on the bike will like the cold.
At about -30 the derailleur can freeze up a bit. I just give it a kick and it goes into the right gear. Bike pogies and a good face mask with gogles help too. I wrap my batteries in camping foam and charge them inside. The electric motor runs better in the cold than on a + 30 day.
twotoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #45
twotoner
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Does anyone have any good tire review sites? I'm looking at Nokians but I want something comparable to look at and just read some general reviews.
This site does a pretty good job of describing the differences between Nokian and Schwalbe tires:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp
twotoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #46
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm confused, is Old Yeller talking car tire reviews or bike tires?

Consumer Reports does testing on winter tires (for cars) every few years.

A Norwegian magazine also does annual ratings. I think this is the most recent one, with poor translation:
http://www.calgarycachers.net/red90/...ire%20Test.pdf (Note: I believe their top rated unstudded tire, the Continental Viking Contact 5 is also sold as the Continental ExtremeWinterContact in North America.)

Most of the online retailers also have user reviews.

Last edited by Jedi Ninja; 10-04-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Note: I believe their top rated unstudded tire, the Continental Viking Contact 5 is sold as the Continental ExtremeWinterCont
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #47
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

5 to 10cm of snow predicted for Friday. Anybody shopping for winters better get a move on purchasing tomorrow.
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #48
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Dion if you can't afford winter tires that's one thing, but I'm surprised you can't at least concede they are superior to all seasons. And if you've never tried them, maybe you should listen to those of us who have or read the data on them. You're being pretty adament about something you don't seem very knowledgeable on.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #49
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Dion if you can't afford winter tires that's one thing, but I'm surprised you can't at least concede they are superior to all seasons. And if you've never tried them, maybe you should listen to those of us who have or read the data on them. You're being pretty adament about something you don't seem very knowledgeable on.
I said i've done okay with all seasons for many years. Never did I say specificly that they were better than winter tires.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #50
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi's on in the winter and Falken ZE-192 on in the summer. Works good for me.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #51
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I said i've done okay with all seasons for many years. Never did I say specificly that they were better than winter tires.
Then what are you doing in here?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #52
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Then what are you doing in here?
I'll repeat what I said in my first post......

My all season tires have worked for countless years. With the constant chinooks we get there's not that many days that we have to deal with bad driving conditions.

To expand further, I recognise what winter tires do. That said, considering the climate we have in Alberta I don't feel that urgent need to run out and spend over a grand on new tires and rims. For one thing I can't afford them and secondly I don't drive when the road conditions are bad.

Does that answer your question?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #53
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Tomorrow is the big day. I'm getting winter tires installed for the first time and frankly, I can't wait. Last winter was an absolute nightmare for me and my Mazda 3. I can't even remember how many times I had to have someone help push me or dig my car out because of the awful tires that came with the car when I bought it.

I'm thankful for this thread. I was 50/50 last week on if I could get them or not, but with all of the good information, I'm willing to spend the money to get where I need to go. Perhaps if I didn't have to travel far for work, but my office is pretty far from my home. For that reason alone, I think I will benefit from them.

Thanks for the info, all.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #54
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:

Does that answer your question?
No, it doesn't. I'm asking about your intent. For example, I created this thread to educate on winter tires.

Some people are still stuck with this belief still and I can't quite fathom it, but what they don't realize is that winters give you the upper edge on others in traffic, usually in the form of manoeuvrability. If I had a choice to outperform other dangerous drivers on the road or just fit in with the status quo, I'll take the upper edge.
Another big thing that has necessitated the need for winter tires is the style of traffic these days. People are travelling faster due to tighter time schedules. On top of that, the amount of traffic on the roads has increased while the road capacity hasn't increased at the same rate. This leaves us with faster traffic with less gaps and less time to react before an accident. Gone are the days of an easy right turn or merge and now we are stuck with merging into tight moving fast traffic with less of a margin for error. That alone should mean winter tires are a necessity and why some governments are making them mandatory.

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree though, as clearly we have different standards. I err towards safety, you err towards saving costs (percieved).

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 10-04-2009 at 11:21 PM.
BlackArcher101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #55
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you've never had winter tires, you wouldn't understand.
I hear all these people saying that they can't afford them, what's going to happen when your other tires wear out?
My wife easily has another summer left in her Hi-Po summer tires, which will be a 4th summer, and this will be the third winter on her Dunlop Graspic DS2's which have been a great winter tire for a performance car (SVT ford focus). As for me, I still need to buy a winter beater as I lost my explorer at the same time I lost my mustang in my house fire last spring. It will have winter tires as well.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #56
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'll repeat what I said in my first post......

My all season tires have worked for countless years.
Me, I'm going to listen to BlackArcher instead of you. Your counting abilities are clearly inferior, considering how long all season tires have even been in existence. Have you tried taking off your socks?

Seriously, though. The fact that nothing bad has happened to you yet is an extremely poor argument. Just because something hasn't happened, it doesn't mean it will. If you actually never drive when conditions are poor and winter tires are indicated, then all the power to you. I would be surprised if it never happens, though. At which point you become a danger on the road, no matter what your driving ability is. A danger to me, not just yourself.
Superfraggle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #57
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I'm actually considering the winter tires this year. Living in the very hilly area of Bankview, and the mileage I log daily, it just makes sense. I'm not overly happy about dropping a grand when I'd rather be saving for a trip, but TBQH, it's hard to go on a trip if you've been f'd up in a car accident... I put on over a hundred km per day of city driving in this wasteland of crappy drivers. Sure my truck will win in an accident with a Honda Civic, but I'm simply not interested in being sidelined.
A few of the comments that are constantly repeated in this these threads have kinda sold me... "If you've never tried them, you don't know"... I've never tried them. If I buy them and they're nothing to write home about, I'm coming here and giving you people an earful.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #58
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Dion; 10-05-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #59
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Dion; 10-05-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #60
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't? really?

Winter tires or not I tend to stay off the roads during really poor winter driving conditions. I have witnessed what you have said and refuse to be on the same road as those idotic drivers. City transit was always a nice option.

That being said I drive a small sized SUV and I certainly don't drive like those idiotic SUV drivers
I also drive a Ford Escape. You don't need to "spend a grand" on winter tires. Get them mounted on your existing rims. Get some inexpensive Kumhos from OK Tire. Shouldn't set you back even $600.

Know what? Drive my Escape. I have Nokian WRG2s on them. That'll change your mind real quick.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote