Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #81
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Obviously they'll come back to Earth, because they're scoring almost 90% of the goals when they're on the ice and I'm pretty confident they aren't the best line in the history of the sport. But they still appear to be a bona fide #1 line. And all three of them put together have roughly the same cap hit as Milan Lucic.
Hold on, where are they scoring the other 10% of their goals from?
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #82
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

GOSH FINE.

Almost 90% of the goals that are scored when their line is on the ice are scored by Carolina.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #83
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Ferland was one of my favorite flames and what he had to battle off the ice as well as who he seemed to be as a person and the maturity will always sit well with me.

He is entering his prime although his prime will be shorter than the average player considering his style. Think Lucic, putting up 30 in his 4th full year for 62 points, again the following year and then starting to decline. He was also being paid just over 4m 8 years ago which translates to a nice payday for Ferland on the horizon.

Ferland at 30 goals and 60 points for 5+m per year and most likely a 6 year deal or Lindholm at 4.85 for the next 6 years.... Lindholm seems much more sustainable to me so while we lost a great player and individual, it was great asset management as Ferland will unfortunately be the whipping boy in some city in 4-5 years just as Lucic is (my opinion).

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #84
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
It sort of sucks to see him doing so well, but at the same time he's going to be a UFA and frankly with Tkachuk's deal coming up, the Flames likely wouldn't be able to afford a UFA Ferland contract.
It would only suck if the players the Flames acquired weren't doing well.
But since the trade involved a team in the other conference, and two players that are quite likable as people, then I see nothing about Ferland doing well that sucks.

When you are making a deal with a team from the other conference, finding a win-win is a good thing not a bad thing!

What has sucked is when the Flames traded players who performed well elsewhere while the guys we got back just sucked.

No need to cite examples as we are all way too familiar with them
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #85
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do wonder if we see Svechnikov moved up to that line at some point too.

If I'm Carolina I'm seeing if Ferland continues to produce away from Line 1 - just to see if I should give him a contract.

And IMO long term Svechnikov is that first line RW next to Aho and Teravainen.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #86
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

No matter how well (or not well) he does this season, he's UFA at the end. Signing him probably ends up bad for the Flames, trading him midseason probably doesn't get you a fair return, and letting him walk sucks because he's a player the Flames developed.

I'm glad he's someone else's UFA problem now. These types of inconsistent players can be scary to sign, especially when they are motivated in a contract year.

Flames got two great young RFA players in this trade, and frankly I think they win the trade hands down.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #87
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
It sort of sucks to see him doing so well, but at the same time he's going to be a UFA and frankly with Tkachuk's deal coming up, the Flames likely wouldn't be able to afford a UFA Ferland contract.
While Ferland probably was a necessary add for acquiring Lindholm in that specific trade, I don't see how this is a valid statement. The Flames signed 3/4C Derek Ryan and 3RW James Neal to a total of $8.875M/Yr (equivalent to the cap hits owed to of each of Crosby, Stamkos, and Draisaitl). Keeping Ferland would have impacted the ability to liberally make these depth signings, not Matthew Tkachuk. You could afford Tkachuk and Ferland, but you'd have to have found another avenue to find a right handed shot forward for the power play to fill the gaping Versteeg hole (though I can't help but wonder if Czarnik would presently be doing pretty well with Tkachuk, Monahan, and Gaudreau on PP1 while Ferland lit it up at ES).

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-23-2018 at 11:21 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #88
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wish him the best, but two controlled RFA’s for a pending UFA and a player that isn’t even a top pairing D anymore without Gio doesn’t have me missing him too much.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #89
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yep, that's the only thing that matters as far as the Canes' success goes. They'll be a good team apart from goaltending, and goaltending will either allow them to parlay that into a playoff spot or it'll sink them as usual.

That being said, when you realize where their top line came from, there's no reason it should be as good as it is. Aho was a 2nd round pick, Teravainen was a bargain bin acquisition because the Hawks couldn't afford to keep anyone and he wound up on the discard pile, and Ferland was the extra piece coming back in a trade that was heavily focused on three players. Hell, on the day the trade was made, I'd say he was a less significant chip than Fox was, from the Calgary perspective. I know who I heard more complaints about losing.

Obviously they'll come back to Earth, because they're scoring almost 90% of the goals when they're on the ice and I'm pretty confident they aren't the best line in the history of the sport. But they still appear to be a bona fide #1 line. And all three of them put together have roughly the same cap hit as Milan Lucic.
Terevainen was a well regarded player that was the cost of dumping the cap hit for bickell. It was a hefty price at the time.

Terevainen is a good player. Scored 64 points last year.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #90
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Ferland at 30 goals and 60 points for 5+m per year and most likely a 6 year deal or Lindholm at 4.85 for the next 6 years.... Lindholm seems much more sustainable to me so while we lost a great player and individual, it was great asset management as Ferland will unfortunately be the whipping boy in some city in 4-5 years just as Lucic is (my opinion).
If Ferland can get 30 goals and 60 points he could be getting close to $7 million a season as an UFA. They just need one team to believe he can maintain that level of play.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 11:48 AM   #91
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how much of the rumor that it was supposed to be Bennett not Ferland to Carolina is true. If so, did Canes not want Bennett or did Flames not want to give him up.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #92
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll take the younger better 2 way player. I really like Ferland and I’m happy to see him doing well in Carolina.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #93
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Hope he gets a big raise... in the East.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #94
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
I wonder how much of the rumor that it was supposed to be Bennett not Ferland to Carolina is true. If so, did Canes not want Bennett or did Flames not want to give him up.
I hadn't heard this.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #95
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think this all comes down to ice time and more importantly ice time on the power play. Ferland is getting almost 3 minutes per game on the PP and with the first PP. Gully hardly ever gave him first PP minutes
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #96
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I hadn't heard this.
What I heard was that it was supposed to be Bennett Hamilton.

The meeting with Fox's agent changed Tre's mind and he realized he had to send Fox. He made the decision that Fox + Ferland is more or less equal to Bennett and that was fair for the return we were getting.

In terms of Ferland, I loved the player when he played hard and physical, but he was all too often very comparable to Rene Bourque, he could absolutely dominate a game, or even a stretch of games, and then go absolutely silent.

I hope he gets paid this offseason, contract year and all, but I think i'm still very happy with the trade the way it went
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #97
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been critical of Bennett but if that's true I'm glad they sent Ferland instead.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #98
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Would have been a huge mistake to go Bennett over Ferland and Fox!

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #99
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
What I heard was that it was supposed to be Bennett Hamilton.

The meeting with Fox's agent changed Tre's mind and he realized he had to send Fox. He made the decision that Fox + Ferland is more or less equal to Bennett and that was fair for the return we were getting.

In terms of Ferland, I loved the player when he played hard and physical, but he was all too often very comparable to Rene Bourque, he could absolutely dominate a game, or even a stretch of games, and then go absolutely silent.

I hope he gets paid this offseason, contract year and all, but I think i'm still very happy with the trade the way it went
If true, the value of Fox in that trade is the difference between Ferland and Bennett. That will be interesting to track.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #100
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If true, the value of Fox in that trade is the difference between Ferland and Bennett. That will be interesting to track.
The value of Fox was nearly 0 to Calgary and would most likely be similar to any team he is being traded to unless they had a chance at re-signing Fox.

If Carolina insisted on Fox being in the deal then I am glad Tre switched up Bennett with Ferland as he made it seem like it was evening things out but in all reality, he saved the player with higher potential by dumping a guy we would never have seen dress. Another great asset management play!

info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com

Last edited by Travis Munroe; 10-23-2018 at 01:09 PM.