Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #2861
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I'm in no way arguing Ferland has been a consistent game to game player, but the one thing he had done is improve his scoring production every single year he has been in the NHL.
He's 26 years old and is probably at his career peak. I don't think he's a player on the cusp of being a 30 goal scorer. He's a guy that's very close to being what he is. Meanwhile Lindholm is only 23 years old so it's not really an apples to apples comparison between Lindholm and Ferland.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #2862
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's 26 years old and is probably at his career peak. I don't think he's a player on the cusp of being a 30 goal scorer.

To each his own, but between Feb 21st, 2017 (the date he was promoted from fourth line duties to pseudo-first line) and Feb 15th, 2018(the date he was injured) Ferland put up:

78GP
27G
23A
50P

If you don't subscribe to the opinion that his injury, for which he even missed some time, affected his play, that's fair, but 27 goals in a 78 game span is very close to what I would personally refer to as "on the cusp of being a 30 goal scorer". Especially since his power play scoring over that stretch was still limited by ice time, role, and Dave Cameron. Was it all one sexy season? No, but it was still the only 78 consecutive RS games during which he was both healthy and not playing a fourth line role.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #2863
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
To each his own, but between Feb 21st, 2017 (the date he was promoted from fourth line duties to pseudo-first line) and Feb 15th, 2018(the date he was injured) Ferland put up:

78GP
27G
23A
50P

If you don't subscribe to the opinion that his injury, for which he even missed some time, affected his play, that's fair, but 27 goals in a 78 game span is very close to what I would personally refer to as "on the cusp of being a 30 goal scorer". Especially since his power play scoring over that stretch was still limited by ice time, role, and Dave Cameron. Was it all one sexy season? No, but it was still the only 78 consecutive RS games during which he was both healthy and not playing a fourth line role.
He was on the cusp last season when he had 20 with tons of time to go to get 30 and we all know what happened.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #2864
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
He was on the cusp last season when he had 20 with tons of time to go to get 30 and we all know what happened.

Know? I don't claim to know what happened. Here's what I actually know:

Kristen Anderson‏ Verified account@KdotAnderson
Gulutzan said Ferland’s injury was an old one he suffered vs. Nashville. Wanted to keep him out. Unsure of his availability for Saturday’s game.

That tweet itself came four games after the Nashville game being referred to.
He missed an additional four games after that tweet.

So it was an injury at least bad enough to last eight games following that Nashville game.

He played in twenty-one games after the Nashville game, and we have no way to know how much this injury was bothering him or even what injury it was. If you know, you know more than "we all" do.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-23-2018 at 02:56 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #2865
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Know? I don't claim to know what happened. Here's what I actually know:

Kristen Anderson‏ Verified account@KdotAnderson
Gulutzan said Ferland’s injury was an old one he suffered vs. Nashville. Wanted to keep him out. Unsure of his availability for Saturday’s game.

That tweet itself came four games after the Nashville game being referred to.
He missed an additional four games after that tweet.

So it was an injury at least bad enough to last eight games following that Nashville game.

He played in twenty-one games after the Nashville game, and we have no way to know how much this injury was bothering him or even what injury it was. If you know, you know more than "we all" do.
All I meant was we know what happened and its that his production fell off a cliff basically as soon as he got to 20
Old 10-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #2866
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All I meant was we know what happened and its that his production fell off a cliff basically as soon as he got to 20
Not really. His goals dropped later in the season but he still got points/assists. His Feb/Mar matched his Oct/Dec point totals.

I'd consider that not bad considering he played injured in Feb/Mar and missed games from that. I would also guess most of the team had reduced production once Smith got hurt and Monahan was gone for season. The last 20 games were bad for every player. It'd be different if he was the only one.

Oct - 11 games: 3-1-4
Nov - 13 games: 7-3-10
Dec - 14 games: 5-1-6
Jan - 11 games: 4-6-10
Feb - 12 games: 1-3-4
Mar - 13 games: 1-5-6
Apr - 3 games: 0-1-1

77 games: 21-20-41

Healthy again this season we are seeing him pick off from when he was healthy. Just unfortunately on another team but happy with the players we got in return though.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #2867
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Not really. His goals dropped later in the season but he still got points/assists. His Feb/Mar matched his Oct/Dec point totals.

I'd consider that not bad considering he played injured in Feb/Mar and missed games from that. I would also guess most of the team had reduced production once Smith got hurt and Monahan was gone for season. The last 20 games were bad for every player. It'd be different if he was the only one.

Oct - 11 games: 3-1-4
Nov - 13 games: 7-3-10
Dec - 14 games: 5-1-6
Jan - 11 games: 4-6-10
Feb - 12 games: 1-3-4
Mar - 13 games: 1-5-6
Apr - 3 games: 0-1-1

77 games: 21-20-41

Healthy again this season we are seeing him pick off from when he was healthy. Just unfortunately on another team but happy with the players we got in return though.

We were talking about Goals, the number of points is irrelevant to that argument.

But thanks for sharing his monthly stats, it proves exactly what I was saying, 2 goals over the final three months of the season... after getting 19 in the first 4
Old 10-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #2868
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

His performance basically dropped when Monahan and JG were injured and his partners no longer supported his play. Thats the difference between Lindholm and Ferland. If you watch him play Ferland is a guy who can profit from playing with good players but he does not carry the puck in or take away the puck to create chances like like JG, Monahan, and Lindholm. I believe Lindholm has at least two unassisted goals that came from turnovers he created.

Cherry picking a time period when his stats look best is not a valid statistic.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 10-23-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #2869
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We were talking about Goals, the number of points is irrelevant to that argument.

But thanks for sharing his monthly stats, it proves exactly what I was saying, 2 goals over the final three months of the season... after getting 19 in the first 4
You're skimming over his injury issue (Feb. 24 - March 5: Michael Ferland (upper body) - 5 games) and fact that the whole team was terrible the last 20 games.

Upper body is really vague and maybe they disclosed after season what injury was (cannot remember) but if it's shoulder or wrist etc. that could really affect his shot. His shot makes him a good goal scorer.

The fact that he's picking up where he was pre-injury tells a good story. It's early in the season but he's looking like he did beginning of last season.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #2870
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On Primetime Sports yesterday, John Shannon questioned Noah Hanifan’s hockey IQ.

Is he right? He’s only 21, but I haven’t seen him enough to make any judgement.

BTW, Humourously, Damien Cox suggested that Hanifan was big and slow. At least Shannon corrected Cox on the skating speed suggestion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #2871
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Is there another team in the NHL that has been starting 3 Dmen that are 21 or younger? Overall, I've been impressed with Hanifin. Especially considering his youth.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #2872
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Is there another team in the NHL that has been starting 3 Dmen that are 21 or younger? Overall, I've been impressed with Hanifin. Especially considering his youth.
Burke asked the same question the other day(regarding the three defencemen).
Old 10-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #2873
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
On Primetime Sports yesterday, John Shannon questioned Noah Hanifan’s hockey IQ.

BTW, Humourously, Damien Cox suggested that Hanifan was big and slow. At least Shannon corrected Cox on the skating speed suggestion.
Damien Cox is an idiot. I always wondered about how a guy like that keeps his job.

I don’t think, but admittedly may be mistaken, that he does charity work like Francis
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #2874
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post

Big loss so everyone is piling on...just like the Oilers after two games, now they are world beaters again

media is always the same
Old 10-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #2875
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
No other team has dressed 3 defencemen who are 21 or younger in the same game this season.

Boston has had 4 in their lineup this season, but never more than 2 in one game. Ottawa, Montreal, and Detroit have also each had two younger d-men playing regularly.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #2876
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wish Calgary could have somehow got Jake Bean from Carolina as well. Cale Makar and Jake Bean both are a couple Calgary born kids that I hope end up being big stars
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOnlyBilko For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #2877
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1056357715075727361
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:48 PM   #2878
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

...and not signing in Calgary or Carolina. Not trying to take away from how well he's progressed, but from an asset value perspective we threw him into a major trade this summer and would have not got anything for him next spring.

Excellent asset management.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-27-2018 at 11:52 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:30 AM   #2879
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
...and not signing in Calgary or Carolina. Not trying to take away from how well he's progressed, but from an asset value perspective we threw him into a major trade this summer and would have not got anything for him next spring.

Excellent asset management.
Do you think it’s a guarantee he’s going back to school for another year after this one? Carolina has his rights for another two years.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:46 AM   #2880
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Do you think it’s a guarantee he’s going back to school for another year after this one? Carolina has his rights for another two years.
Once he elected to go back to school this spring he was essentially a free agent, as there's no way he's going to commit to a team when he can sign with any team at pretty much the same time next spring.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote