Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #521
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Read a report by a guy who appears on BNN and owns a lot of small Canadian producers in his fund. So this is probably slanted but here's his list of possible alleviations to how badly we're getting ####ed:

1) Rail Capacity growing to 500k bbl/d by 2019 (roughly 1/8 of CAD prod)
2) A better pipeline nomination process
3) Continuing decline in Mexican and Venezuelan heavy production
4) An Albertan upgrader ramping up to 80k bbl/d
5) Some refineries in the US coming back on later this year

Who knows if this will make a difference but I've been searching far and wide for any kind of positive aspect on this because it's been hard to come to work and search for barrels that can't even go anywhere even if they're produced. It's so frustrating that this was identified as an issue by industry and a competent government earlier this decade but obstructions from know-nothings, foreign bad actors, and idiotic governments have left us in this state.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #522
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just change 'people' to 'Investment Dollars.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #523
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got an unsolicited text message from the UCP. Isn't that against campaign regulations?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #524
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Just got an unsolicited text message from the UCP. Isn't that against campaign regulations?
I don't know, but.....

Alberta NDP says text messages to ‘random mobile numbers’ are just another outreach method
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #525
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
In those texts at least you could opt out and it went to real people.

This text has no unsub and the person who sent it isn't responsive.

But your right, "whataboutism" away.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #526
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:

Double standard away

What does the message even say? Maybe post a screenshot?
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #527
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If its annoying you can probably file a complaint with whatever government agency is in charge of spam stuff.

I still get unsolicated emails and messages from the Liberal Party of Canada even though I quit years ago and asked to opt out of messaging. I tend to get a desparate cry for money every second day to fight the evils of conservatism.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #528
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If its annoying you can probably file a complaint with whatever government agency is in charge of spam stuff.

I still get unsolicated emails and messages from the Liberal Party of Canada even though I quit years ago and asked to opt out of messaging. I tend to get a desparate cry for money every second day to fight the evils of conservatism.
C’mon Cap, an email for asking for money every second day? We both know it ain’t true.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:41 AM   #529
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Lol, everyone sends these out, over the years i have gotten unsolicited emails, mail, voicemail and every kind of junk from all the parties, federal and provincial. How old are you?

Calling out the UCP for that is absurd.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #530
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

NDP says fundraising for Kenney tries to dodge election laws

Quote:
The NDP sent a blistering four-page complaint from the NDP to Lorne Gibson, Alberta’s election commissioner.

The NDP asked for “substantive penalties” for activities that are “self-described as a deliberate strategy to the avoid the limitations of the election financing law. The violations are “severe and willful,” said the complaint.

Twenty-six Alberta car and truck car dealerships have donated a total of $170,000 to the UCP leader’s cause in the past three months.

The Motor Dealers Association of Alberta (MDA) also pledged $100,000 that hasn’t been donated yet, and said it hopes to raise $1 million in all for Kenney’s cause.
Quote:
The NDP alleges that Shaping Alberta is going far beyond the intent of the province’s financing law and acting like a full-fledged political party, not merely an advertiser.

For one thing, it solicits money for purpose that it says don’t require public disclosure.

The group has been increasingly active in recent days, with attack ads against the NDP on radio, TV, billboards, Facebook and other social media.

Shaping Alberta is getting rich fast. In three months since it was registered, it has raised a total of $375,000, including the auto industry funding.

These groups can collect as much as they like. Registered union and progressive advertisers work just as hard for left-wing money, but with far less success, judging by disclosures to Elections Alberta
Quote:
Starting Dec. 1 the advertisers can only spend $150,000 until the election writ is dropped next spring. During the 28-day campaign, they can burn off another $150,000.

But until Dec. 1, there’s no limit. Shaping Alberta’s Future appears to be sluicing out the dollars before the cap is imposed, hoping to set the election tone early.
Quote:
Cheques were to be sent to the MDA Edmonton office, payable to Shaping Alberta’s Future.

Elections Alberta published the first disclosure of the actual contributions to Shaping Alberta Monday. It’s kind of breathtaking.

Calgary’s GM dealership group — CMP Automotive Limited — contributed $30,000. Ten dealerships from Taber to Calgary came up with $10,000 each. Car and truck sellers all over the province coughed up $5,000.

This is old-time Alberta money politics. Ducharme, the MDA president, was a three-term Progressive Conservative MLA in the Ralph Klein era.

What’s happening is an inevitable reaction to NDP reform of election laws.
Corporate and union contributions to political parties are now banned. Individuals can only donate $4,000 a year, and parties are limited to spending $2 million each during a campaign.

Corporate cash now has no place to go — except a friendly third-party advertiser.

Fifteen are registered now, from left, right and centre. We’ll see more before the election.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...om-car-dealers
Old 10-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #531
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
NDP says fundraising for Kenney tries to dodge election laws

https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...om-car-dealers
That article said something different to me. It said that Jason Kenney is raising money from corporate donors in a way which bends, but does not break, election finance law. The author also talks about how that could have a bigger impact int he future. I thought it was an interesting piece.

I am surprised that your take is all about the NDP, who are taking the expected action by filing a complaint.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #532
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe your mom gave them your number? She's probably mad you're still living in her basement and she's still paying your phone bill.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #533
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Maybe your mom gave them your number? She's probably mad you're still living in her basement and she's still paying your phone bill.
This was probably funnier in your head.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #534
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
That article said something different to me. It said that Jason Kenney is raising money from corporate donors in a way which bends, but does not break, election finance law. The author also talks about how that could have a bigger impact int he future. I thought it was an interesting piece.

I am surprised that your take is all about the NDP, who are taking the expected action by filing a complaint
My take is I have a strong dislike for the NDP party. I doubt the UCP broke any rules and are just taking advantage of the grey areas the NDP failed to eliminate. You have the HSAA taking out prime time ads asking voters to support the NDP and yet the NDP is silent on that.

Lately the NDP have been acting like they're the official opposition with all their attacks on the UCP. First on his trip to India and now this. I think it's going to get quite nasty before the spring election
Old 10-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #535
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1054843323846803458

Ruling in link below

http://www.ethicscommissioner.ab.ca/...a-decision.pdf
Old 10-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #536
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha ha ha. If the NDP has any hope of remaining in power they will have to focus more on a platform that's going to win votes rather than put all their resources into trying to discredit the UCP. Stuff like this is hurting their cause not helping.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #537
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1054776714021093376
Old 10-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #538
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this should be a fun...8 months. Ugh.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #539
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow is Jason Kenney's twitter post so tacky. He could have posted the conclusion and the tweet without the whole NDP Loses Again stuff. Seems so Trump like.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #540
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Wow is Jason Kenney's twitter post so tacky. He could have posted the conclusion and the tweet without the whole NDP Loses Again stuff. Seems so Trump like.
All parties are tacky with their responses. That said I do agree that he could have left the tacky part out.