Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:
Default Dissatisfaction with Coaches, Early in the Season

As many of you here are aware, if my avatar hadn't given it away, that I am a Blackhawk fan, a fan long enough to have been attending games when their nickname was TWO words.

The 'Hawks are off to a very odd start, setting a record for OT games to start a season, and having a couple of dismal defensive efforts along the way. Yesterday was historically bad defending, for instance, as we had a goaltender give up FIVE goals, yet, still was above 90% in save percentage.

After having missed the playoffs, last season, some fans are already calling for Q's head.

This is a typical post from a Chicago board after yesterday's game:
[From Mr. Caution] "There is a noticeable talent and coaching gap between the Bolts and the Hawks...The key for the kids on this team is to learn from it and grow. I don’t have much hope for our old and tired coach to do the same."

While I was disappointed, to say the least, about yesterday's game, and the recent lack of ability to hold onto late leads, I feel that the problem, in Chicago, at least, lies with Stan Bowman (in future posts to be referred to as, simply, Stan), and would be happy to elaborate on why I blame Stan, if anyone is interested.

But, the fact is, there is a feeling that the heat under Q's seat is increasing, and, looking around the league, Q isn't the only coach that will be feeling the pressure. McLellan better be praying that McJesus doesn't get as much as a hangnail injury, or he is through (although, with this tire fire of a franchise, I think one can look upstairs for the reason of imminent failure.). I can't feel that Blashill or Hakstol will have long leashes. Hines better hope that his hot start is maintained.

I throw it out to my friends here, at CalPuck. NHL coaches, rumors, or real pressure. It is as much a part of the league as the games themselves. Opinions on NHL coaching impressions.

Last edited by thefoss1957; 10-22-2018 at 03:14 PM.
thefoss1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thefoss1957 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coach Q has been there for 10 years. The Kane/Toews/Seabrook contracts play a part in their lack of overall depth. Chicago was elite for so long, that there really was no place to go but down.

Still hard to feel sorry for them. If someone offered me 3 Stanley cups in 6 years and then told me it would be followed by players with crazy high cap hits, injuries piling up and a slow but steady decline, I would take that offer in a heartbeat.

When a coach is there for a decade and the inevitable decline happens, he's going to be on the hot seat. I think Q is the best overall coach in the league. But even he will be made a scapegoat in a final ditch effort to save for another big run.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I"m not sure why the Hawk fans are so worried? Crawford hasn't play again since last January until this week. Now that he is back it should be fine.
Seabrook and Keith are pretty much on their last legs though.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

The greatest coach in the world has a shelf life so it should come as no surprise that Q is going to be facing the decision of retirement or a new city very soon.

Chicago fans have been spoiled and are going to soon realize that not every year brings a cup contender. Some tough decisions going forward but Chicago has the ability to start and end a rebuild in a much shorter period of time than most teams. The return on Toews, Kane and a few others combined with a high draft pick this year could mean rebuild over.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Johnny, the feeling among many 'Hawk fans, is that Q is not a good coach for youngsters.

I disagree, pointing out that Q's judgement on guys like Morin, Dano, J. Hayes, Leddy, et. al. has been correct. Just about the only "young" player that wasn't a straight salary dump by the GM, was Teraveinen, and Q had shown trust in TT, playing him in all situations, but, again, a bad contract by Stan, and you've got to throw in guys like Hinostroza, TT, Oesterle, to off load the albatross contracts.

Travis, NMC's on Contracts means that some of that money is immovable. Currently, of veterans, only Anisimov, Kruger, and Saad, can be traded.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Of other coaches, in the league, I would almost feel sorry for McLellan, if I could well up sympathy for a situation (which, in Edmonton's case, I can't!), as a coach completely screwed over by bad decisions of Front Office types.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
Of other coaches, in the league, I would almost feel sorry for McLellan, if I could well up sympathy for a situation (which, in Edmonton's case, I can't!), as a coach completely screwed over by bad decisions of Front Office types.
McLellan had a lot of years with a stacked San Jose roster and he always got less than he should have out of that group. Even if Chia was going a good job, McLellan would find a way to get that team to underperform.

It will be a sad day when McLellan takes the fall up there. But it will also be a day of celebration as the beginning of the reign of GG!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #8
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
Johnny, the feeling among many 'Hawk fans, is that Q is not a good coach for youngsters.
That's hilarious given the age of the core, and most of the roster when the Blackhawks won their first cup in 09-10.

It was all youngsters.

Fans in general are quick and usually wrong to blame the coach for everything IMO.

It usually stems from them overrating their own team's roster relative to the league, and also fans tend to overvalue potential as well.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't the Blachawks get a 30 goal season from a 20 year old straight out of Junior last year, who is now averaging 18:36 ice time as a 21 year old with seven goals in eight games? Don't they have a nineteen year old rookie Dman averaging 21:02 of ice time.?

Yeah uh Coach Q is a beast. Probably a top three coach in the world along with Laviolette and Cooper.

If the Hawks have any real issue it's the fact that they used to have excellent veteran players anchoring their second defense pair - Brian Campbell, Niklas Hjalmarsson, etc. Now they have... a nineteen year old rookie Dman averaging 21:02 of ice time.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oil...I do NOT agree that Q is bad for youngsters, he has tough expectations, and has been proven more often correct in his judgement on those expectations. But, there is a default that many 'Hawk fans have that his demands on youngsters is TOO tough.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Chicago their decline has been believing in keeping together a core of aging guys - Keith, Seabrook and to some degree Toews. Keith and Seabrook's decline was years in the making but the management's attachment to that core was jading their judgement. Plus the hockey world overall valued them (moreso Keith), so trading him would've been sacrilegious. Toews can still turn it around but doesn't quite look the same. Add to that Crawford's sudden issues and it's just been bad. I don't feel sorry for them one bit, but man they've made some bad decisions on who to keep and who to deal.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
That's hilarious given the age of the core, and most of the roster when the Blackhawks won their first cup in 09-10.

It was all youngsters.

Fans in general are quick and usually wrong to blame the coach for everything IMO.

It usually stems from them overrating their own team's roster relative to the league, and also fans tend to overvalue potential as well.
That is true to an extent but it's also warranted at times as well in a results oriented business. Fans were quick here to point to Gulutzan's shortcomings and they were right. Even the best coaches wear out their welcome over time especially when things aren't going as well at the end of their tenures. Babcock will wear out his welcome in Toronto long before he gets to the end of his contract.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #13
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

At first I thought this was about Peters and nearly shat myself.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #14
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Add Mike Yeo to this list.

Https://kmox.radio.com/articles/coac...-loss-columbus

Darn my fat fingers on this tablet, I will fix link when I get to a real computer, srry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Last edited by thefoss1957; 10-27-2018 at 05:00 PM.
thefoss1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #15
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
At first I thought this was about Peters and nearly shat myself.
That would have been a mess.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #16
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Stevens fired, and the one I feared, Q, I bet Yeo is next and Q replaces him.