Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #61
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

That area of Verdun isn't the greatest, but you'll be safe enough for sure.
For bus from airport, first stop is Lionel Groulx metro, so off there and onto green line toward Agrignon and you are only a couple stops from de l'Eglise. As for luggage, I've seen people dragging 3 big pieces onto the metro, so your definitely good. BTW, I'm pretty sure you can get 3 day unlimited passes for $25 - but you probably knew that already.

You sound like you hit all the highs last time around, in downtown anyway. I'll try to put a bit of a list together of pubs/eateries I love that are fabulous, cheap and fun vs fine (with access close to metro), as well as a few sights that may fit your description.
I really admire 6 day solo trips. I love that kind of thing. I'll get back to you.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #62
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
That area of Verdun isn't the greatest, but you'll be safe enough for sure.
For bus from airport, first stop is Lionel Groulx metro, so off there and onto green line toward Agrignon and you are only a couple stops from de l'Eglise. As for luggage, I've seen people dragging 3 big pieces onto the metro, so your definitely good. BTW, I'm pretty sure you can get 3 day unlimited passes for $25 - but you probably knew that already.

You sound like you hit all the highs last time around, in downtown anyway. I'll try to put a bit of a list together of pubs/eateries I love that are fabulous, cheap and fun vs fine (with access close to metro), as well as a few sights that may fit your description.
I really admire 6 day solo trips. I love that kind of thing. I'll get back to you.
Cool thank you very much.

I am familiar enough with metro from last time around, it was all I used, so yeah I was planning on buying a pass once I arrive. Unfortunately they didn't give me the chance to have a pass included in my ticket package this year which is too bad.

Funny story, boy was my first day confusing last year when I went to the metro station in Laval. "What you mean the laval transit authority and the Montreal Metro don't take the same fare tickets?" lol. Who knew they'd be different? I guess I should have. So glad I don't have to worry about two separate fares this time around.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #63
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

BUMP

The wife and I are planning 5 nights in early July, haven't booked anything yet. But right now we're eyeing up the Plateau Mont Royal neighbourhood of the city.

Besides the obvious, poutine, smoked meat, old Montreal. What are some areas /attractions worth exploring?

The wife likes what she describes as "cute little shops", and we're looking to have at least one nicer dinner while we're there. Museums/art galleries anyone really enjoyed?
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #64
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Old Montreal has "cute little shops"
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #65
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was in Montreal last summer and me and my wife did a city bicycle tour with:

http://www.fitzandfollwell.co

It was really fun. A great way to meet people and see the sights. They take you around to attractions, down to the waterfront market for lunch and later for ice cream.

It was the highlight of our visit. You don't need to be in good shape either.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 05-07-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #66
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
BUMP

The wife and I are planning 5 nights in early July, haven't booked anything yet. But right now we're eyeing up the Plateau Mont Royal neighbourhood of the city.

Besides the obvious, poutine, smoked meat, old Montreal. What are some areas /attractions worth exploring?

The wife likes what she describes as "cute little shops", and we're looking to have at least one nicer dinner while we're there. Museums/art galleries anyone really enjoyed?
If you're in the plateau, you can't go wrong. The north end (mile end) has great little shops and coffee joints. Check out saint viatteur St for café olympico (really nice coffee and very social) and some funny shops

Oh also, this is a must.. Google jeans jeans jeans and go buy some jeans there. Best shopping experience ever!

Last edited by calumniate; 05-07-2016 at 12:05 PM.
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #67
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending what part of July, just for laughs comedy festival is on. If that kind of thing is your kind of thing, you can't beat it. Lots of small, intimate clubs/venues to choose from as well as big shows.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #68
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have any interest seeing the city by bike, you can rent the bixi bikes. There are lots of bike lanes. If you watch F1, a must for me was riding out to the island and taking a spin around the track! So much fun. My wife wasn't quite as amused, but she liked the island anyway.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #69
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, if you want little shops and art galleries, Old Montreal is pretty hard to beat. Something on every street corner.
V is offline   Reply With Quote