Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #1081
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

booked in to get winter tires on rims and installation next Thursday at North Hill Mazda. Seemed like a great price, plus it's on the way to work.
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #1082
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Is this a truck only thing or does it applies to cars with trunks as well?
Trucks with an open box only. It's part of the securement/containment law. Basically, you can't have loose cargo in your box anymore. If it can come flying out in an accident, it needs to be strapped down to a factory tie-down with a rated strap (needs a stamped/legible working load limit on it).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #1083
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for all the replies on the securing bags in the bed of the truck. I've got a box liner so no hooks and stuff available.
I think I'm going to wedge some 2x4's or something in the grooves of the box liner and drop a few slabs like someone suggested in there.

I'll then look at drilling another piece of wood on top as per Sliver's suggestion to secure (even though I've got a cover).

Thanks!
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #1084
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
That's funny because I always perceive the right lane to be the safe/easy zone. Yes, it gets more ingress/egress action, but its the closest to exits if something goes wrong, and there are no expectations placed on you in that lane. Nobody expects you to pass anyone. Nobody expects you to be faster. People expect you to be slower. Being in the right lane you've given the signal that for whatever reason you're ok with being the more passive driver, and you're not going to be a dick about it.

To me the right lane is the pre-emptive version of the "apologetic hand wave after you've done something wrong". No winter tires in January so you're only doing 40? Totally fine cause you're in the right lane and you're trying to stay out of the way. Your old jalopy can barely go up the hill? Been there my friend....thanks for being in the right lane. Riding a horse-drawn buggy because you're Amish? Hey, we all gotta get around, and at least you're not doing it in the passing lane.

The right lane is where it's at if you're feeling nervous about your car or your driving ability, or just generally want to cruise.

This post needs to be made into an Oatmeal cartoon.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #1085
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I've got a set of Hancook Icebear's that came with the car when I bought it, but damn are they ever crap on ice. The snow traction isn't bad, but with our thawing/freezing/thawing weather routine in winter that hardly seems to matter. There was more than a few white knuckle moments on the drive home from Fairmont on Monday, felt like I was rolling the dice everytime I moved into the left lane on highway 1 to try and get past a struggler

Anyone have a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3's? They seem to be the highest rated winter tires out there so that's what I'm leaning towards
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #1086
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I've got a set of Hancook Icebear's that came with the car when I bought it, but damn are they ever crap on ice. The snow traction isn't bad, but with our thawing/freezing/thawing weather routine in winter that hardly seems to matter. There was more than a few white knuckle moments on the drive home from Fairmont on Monday, felt like I was rolling the dice everytime I moved into the left lane on highway 1 to try and get past a struggler

Anyone have a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3's? They seem to be the highest rated winter tires out there so that's what I'm leaning towards

In a similar price range, and in the opinion of many, there is also an even better tire out there: the Nokian Hakkapeliita R2.
I wouldn't recommend anything over that tire.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #1087
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

First day with a set of new Yokohama winter tires. Got an awesome deal on them (they were on clearance). It's our first time with dedicated winters (we were running Nokian WRG2's previously) -- very pleased with them thus far
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #1088
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Just got them for the car my wife usually drives. Seem to perform well.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #1089
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Xice3 are 25% off at Canadian tire. Don't need them, just buy them and have them mounted somewhere else.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #1090
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are you driving AWD or Front wheel drive? I transitioned from FF to AWD and found out that if the treads aren't similar, there's quite a bit of white knuckle that occurs when changing lanes or turning. In a front wheel drive, having better traction in front and less in back isn't a big deal, but in AWD, it's scary on ice and snow as the lesser tread in the back makes the vehicle want to simulate drifting (it's like when kids put trays on the back tires of a FF car). Straight line is fine though.

I've driven on all seasons all my life on FF vehicles (7-8 different cars) and this is the first legitimate year I have been scared of spinning out. It's also the first time I've been in an AWD car. Apparently my back tires were 3/32 and the front 9/32. Hoping replacing the 3/32 with new tires will make the drive a little more stable. No money for full winter tires + rims this year, but I may consider it for next year and save up to buy them.

I heard X-ice vs Blizzak is a slight exchange of comfort/sound vs performance. Forget what the UrbanX guy said.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #1091
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Are you driving AWD or Front wheel drive? I transitioned from FF to AWD and found out that if the treads aren't similar, there's quite a bit of white knuckle that occurs when changing lanes or turning. In a front wheel drive, having better traction in front and less in back isn't a big deal, but in AWD, it's scary on ice and snow as the lesser tread in the back makes the vehicle want to simulate drifting (it's like when kids put trays on the back tires of a FF car). Straight line is fine though.

I've driven on all seasons all my life on FF vehicles (7-8 different cars) and this is the first legitimate year I have been scared of spinning out. It's also the first time I've been in an AWD car. Apparently my back tires were 3/32 and the front 9/32. Hoping replacing the 3/32 with new tires will make the drive a little more stable. No money for full winter tires + rims this year, but I may consider it for next year and save up to buy them.

I heard X-ice vs Blizzak is a slight exchange of comfort/sound vs performance. Forget what the UrbanX guy said.
FWD, tread is actually quite good on all the tires. I had a set of Nokian WRG all-weather tires on the car before this one that were better on ice than these Hankook winter ones. They really should be marketed as an all-season because they're actually quite good tires in every condition except ice. Had them on all summer since I knew I was going to replace them anyways and had no complaints until real winter weather hit
Old 11-13-2014, 12:25 AM   #1092
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah I see. I bought my car used a few months ago and it ran Nokian WRG2. No issues going straight, but I've felt Hydroplaning on rain going 120kmph on highway and the back slides out if taking a corner faster than 20 kmph on icy surface (can barely make a turn from a full stop without the back sliding out. that bad). I honestly think the previous owner has damaged the back tires somehow. The guy at Kal tire said the middle tread didn't look right.

I'm surprised about the Hankook being so bad though. I'll keep it in mind to avoid when I do dedicated winters.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #1093
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently my back tires were 3/32 and the front 9/32.
What kind of car is it? Depending on the AWD system, you may be cooking your centre differential with tires varying in diameter by that much.

On any AWD car, that is going to end up causing damage. On something with torque always going to all wheels, you're going to damage a lot quicker.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #1094
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
What kind of car is it? Depending on the AWD system, you may be cooking your centre differential with tires varying in diameter by that much.

On any AWD car, that is going to end up causing damage. On something with torque always going to all wheels, you're going to damage a lot quicker.
2012 TL SH-AWD running 245/45/R18 WRG2 (Apparently discontinued). Best guess is the previous owner didn't rotate their tires for a long, long time.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #1095
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Yeah, not as bad on that system as it operates mostly as FWD when cruising, but still not great. I think spec is no more than 3/32" difference between any 2 tires.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #1096
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my wife is getting new winter tires for her SUV. The question is, studded or non-studded. They're the UrbanX Federal Himalayas. My wife's concern whether they will accelerate the wear of the tires when driving on dry pavement, the other is the road noise. Are any of these significant enough to go nonstudded?

We have about a week before our install date, so has anybody run both studded and nonstudded? Is it worth the added cost and road noise?

We will be mainly driving around Calgary and the Rockies for skiing, etc.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #1097
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So my wife is getting new winter tires for her SUV. The question is, studded or non-studded. They're the UrbanX Federal Himalayas. My wife's concern whether they will accelerate the wear of the tires when driving on dry pavement, the other is the road noise. Are any of these significant enough to go nonstudded?

We have about a week before our install date, so has anybody run both studded and nonstudded? Is it worth the added cost and road noise?

Actually the tire wears less if it's studded. But the road noise is a definite negative, and I wasn't a fan of how my old car handled on dry or wet pavement with studded tires. The additional traction wasn't enough to make up for those issues and I've ran studless tires for the last few years
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #1098
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

I have Federal Himalayas, (non-studded), on my wife's car and they handle great.

Her car is AWD, but we've never had a problem with them and this will be the 3rd winter on the car.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #1099
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless you're driving in the Artic on permanently snow bound roads, you don't need studs. Calgary roads are most often bare, a good winter tire will do 99% of the time.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #1100
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Unless you're driving in the Artic on permanently snow bound roads, you don't need studs. Calgary roads are most often bare, a good winter tire will do 99% of the time.

True statement.

Studded tires work well on less travelled, snow packed/ice covered roads.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote