Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Kill someone while drunk driving in Canada = 5 year prison sentence

What a joke of a legal system we have. Its amazing that alcohol can be used as a valid excuse for peoples brattish behavior.

5 year prison sentence and banned from driving for 10 years - not banned for life, just 10 years.

Wow is all I can say about this.

EDIT Legal system isnt against lawyers, its against the politicians who allow this type of punishment to be allowed.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...10?hub=Calgary

Last edited by mykalberta; 03-11-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: bitchy lawyers trying to derail thread
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phew, I thought we might go a whole week without a 'what a joke the legal system is' thread. Can we just create a sub-forum or something?
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friggin' lawyers.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You'll love this.

Guy in Edmonton rapes his wife sleeping sister.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/20...90196-qmi.html

Only 3 years!!???? that is messed up.

At least we know where Colin Campbell influences are.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope these two idiots have very large & angry rapists in their cell.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
What a joke of a legal system we have. Its amazing that alcohol can be used as a valid excuse for peoples brattish behavior.

5 year prison sentence and banned from driving for 10 years - not banned for life, just 10 years.

EDIT Legal system isnt against lawyers, its against the politicians who allow this type of punishment to be allowed.

So how do you feel about NFLer Dante Stallworth in the US being released from prison a month after doing the same?
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did anyone catch another collision where a driver with probably 50+ criminal traffic violations in Alberta with a suspended license still was not jailed, and ended up drinking and driving in BC, causing a head on collision and killed himself + 2 innocent people?

Unfortunately, I was very close to the 2 innocent people.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/inde...siobtpp2XeOLE_
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post

I am also interested in the lawsuit - where they're trying to sue for emotional damages for the daughter that witnessed it and the husband who is "having a hard time moving on." I thought that this wasn't allowed in Canada?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was walking my dog on that sidewalk about 15 minutes before he plowed into the group of people.

This makes me sick.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

just to kind of play devil's advocate here, killing someone while drunk driving is very sad and very stupid obviously, but its not like its pre-meditated murder. The purpose of prisons is to rehabilitate, not punish. Someone who accidentally killed someone while intoxicated will probably already never do it again because of the psychological trauma it would cause for them. 5 years in prison would REALLY make it so they dont drive drunk ever again. Again its not like its a planned murder or something, it's an accident.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I would say getting behind the wheel drunk and driving isn't an accident.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Ditch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ditch View Post
Or how about driving TO the bar with a suspended license? He was sober then (I presume).
Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ditch View Post
Not to mention the past drunk driving convictions?
Seems to me this man doesn't get the message.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Again its not like its a planned murder or something, it's an accident.
Drinking and driving isn't an "accident" - it's choice.

Let alone when you're disqualified/have violations dating back 17 years like that other waste of skin -there are perfectly good burn victims that could use that skin.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
So how do you feel about NFLer Dante Stallworth in the US being released from prison a month after doing the same?

Ridiculous...though that has nothing to do with this particular case. Both are absolutely mind-boggling decisions.

Quote:
Phew, I thought we might go a whole week without a 'what a joke the legal system is' thread. Can we just create a sub-forum or something?
Dont like it? You do have an option to not even open the thread, nevermind take time to post in it.

I dont think there is enough discussion about the horrible Canadian justice system myself....its lunacy.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #16
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Drinking and driving isn't an "accident" - it's choice.

Let alone when you're disqualified/have violations dating back 17 years like that other waste of skin -there are perfectly good burn victims that could use that skin.
i never said that it was an accident to drive drunk. His drunk driving obviously plays a part in his sentence. I said that killing the people was the accident. The prisons dont have enough room to put everyone away for life no matter how much you want them all to suffer. 5 years is a long time to be in prison with murderers, rapist, and a lot of very dangerous people. Itd be enough to get the message across to me thats for sure.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
just to kind of play devil's advocate here, killing someone while drunk driving is very sad and very stupid obviously, but its not like its pre-meditated murder. The purpose of prisons is to rehabilitate, not punish. Someone who accidentally killed someone while intoxicated will probably already never do it again because of the psychological trauma it would cause for them. 5 years in prison would REALLY make it so they dont drive drunk ever again. Again its not like its a planned murder or something, it's an accident.
I mentioned about my friend in another thread a few weeks ago, but I didn't know the specifics. My friend killed somebody while drinking and driving. What I found out is that he did one year in jail and had his license suspended for 10 years. In his case the punishment was adequate enough. I remember when I asked him if jail time was hard, and he told me that sure, it probably was, but it was nothing compared to the fact that his actions are directly responsible for killing somebody. He said he could've been locked up forever, he could have spent zero time behind bars. His punishment is knowing that he killed somebody. Over twenty years later and he still remembers, he'll never forget it. He'll always feel terrible about it. Whatever time spend behind bars was his debt to society and he understands that he had to do it, but he'll never be able repay the victim or the victim's family.

So each case is different. Some people don't know how to feel remorse for their actions, while others get it. Is five years not enough in this case? I don't know, I don't know the offender and their feelings. He just have to trust that the correct decision was made in this legal case. The legal system will never be perfect, we just have to accept what happens, and work on improving areas were the system has clearly failed.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Ridiculous...though that has nothing to do with this particular case. Both are absolutely mind-boggling decisions.
I don't think that the Stallworth case is that mind boggling. Apparently on the video from the accident the man darted into traffic and probably would have been hit by a sober driver. Yes Stallworth should be punished for driving drunk, but he wasn't completely at fault. I am probably alone on this one though.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Dont like it? You do have an option to not even open the thread, nevermind take time to post in it.

I dont think there is enough discussion about the horrible Canadian justice system myself....its lunacy.
I think it's hilarious that you acknowledge an even more lenient sentence in a US court and then move on to a shot at the Canadian justice system. Bravo.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #20
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
5 years is a long time to be in prison with murderers, rapist, and a lot of very dangerous people. Itd be enough to get the message across to me thats for sure.
Then why give anyone longer than 5 years?
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada , jacka$$ , legal system , unfinished justice