Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-26-2021, 12:25 AM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default Foundation (Spoilers)

Seems to be enough people watching here for it to get it's own thread. First 2 episodes were a bit shaky at times with the cheese and glaring inconsistencies, but the plot seems pretty good and as someone who's never read the books I'm gonna keep watching because I want to see where it goes

As for the twist at the end of episode 2 with Raych killing Hari, I'm thinking it's obvious that Hari told him to do it. He planned for himself to be a martyr, not an actual member of the foundation, and it seemed like he was becoming a mythical figure to the crew so he probably figured he had to go. I'm hoping that means Raych the character gets jailed or exiled, because that actor was one of the worst of show IMO
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

After thinking about it for a bit, I'm conflicted. The actress that plays Gaal is a excellent casting although she does teeter on being a mary sue at times but that's a minor complaint. Raych is extremely annoying I want him to die. My biggest problem is, do I really care about any of the characters? Not really. Who is the emotional center of the show? Easy to say Gaal but Hari Seldon feels more like a real person to me. Gaal is kinda just there.

Definitely will keep watching. Reading reviews the purists are extremely angry.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:23 PM   #3
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Avid book reader here. My two big question on adapting Foundation were how to handle the time scale, and how they were stretching out an entire season from the first half of the first book that is mostly a description of events and political problem solving. The answer to the first looks to like cloning, stasis, and robots to keep character continuity and the answer to the second looks like adding in more character development and personal relationships with a bit taken from the prequels.

Definitely a lot of changes from the books especially that ending to Episode 2. I am getting an idea of how this all fits together though and expect a last season reveal will make everything clear and line up more closely with the book.

Keen to see this play out. The effects, music, and set design are all top notch and will cover up any story cracks for now.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:33 PM   #4
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

EP3. What that both terrible and great at the same time?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #5
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I realize that this series diverges from the books quite a bit …but I read the first 2 a looooong time ago and don’t remember them much anyway. I do recall liking them a lot, however.

That said, the show is quickly losing me. If it doesn’t pick up by episode 5 I think I’ll give it a pass.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
EP3. What that both terrible and great at the same time?
Pretty much. We start with great character building and set up with solid acting by all involved and then move to Terminus for what almost feels like a different show of super cheesy sci fi. Then it manages to stick the landing, kicking off a crisis with an interesting twist at the end.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I realize that this series diverges from the books quite a bit …but I read the first 2 a looooong time ago and don’t remember them much anyway. I do recall liking them a lot, however.

That said, the show is quickly losing me. If it doesn’t pick up by episode 5 I think I’ll give it a pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Pretty much. We start with great character building and set up with solid acting by all involved and then move to Terminus for what almost feels like a different show of super cheesy sci fi. Then it manages to stick the landing, kicking off a crisis with an interesting twist at the end.
I'm somewhat in the same boat. I read the books as a kid and I loved them.

But the 'Foundation' series is like a lot of those stories where they are largely considered 'unmakeable' in terms of TV or movies. I think this series has a real shot on Apple because they've got a run of episodes and time.

That being said though, one of the major issues people will find with the Foundation series is that it doesnt have a whole ton of action. It is pretty much just constant bickering.

That doesnt typically translate to a whole ton of excitement.

Its like the Star Wars prequels where you're seeing characters discuss treaties and negotiate intergalactic trade routes.

Those movies were like paying to watch C-Span but without the endless action and riveting drama.

I digress, but I think this show is going to need a season to lay down the groundwork....because there is a lot. And they've got to nail down their time-jumps, because theres a lot of those too.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #8
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's good. It's following close enough to the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
After thinking about it for a bit, I'm conflicted. The actress that plays Gaal is a excellent casting although she does teeter on being a mary sue at times but that's a minor complaint. Raych is extremely annoying I want him to die. My biggest problem is, do I really care about any of the characters? Not really. Who is the emotional center of the show? Easy to say Gaal but Hari Seldon feels more like a real person to me. Gaal is kinda just there.

Definitely will keep watching. Reading reviews the purists are extremely angry.
Not sure where you're thinking that Gaal is a Mary Sue. Her part is basically over. Unless you're getting your actors confused.

And there is no emotional center.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:43 AM   #9
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The last two episodes were great simply because Raych wasn't in them. The Trantor stuff is very interesting and finally it looks like Terminus will be too. I'm hopeful they're able to stick a decent enough landing with the first season to keep the series going and fix some of the flaws for season 2. Still a lot of potential here
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #10
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brother Day is lugging this show on his back.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #11
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty happy with the show so far, although I have not read the books- which makes a big difference as I generally hate shows adapted from books I have read.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 12:10 PM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are definitely major changes from the books. I'm not sure I mind them, because assembling a compelling narrative for a TV show would be extremely difficult. That's not how these were written. But they are taking the ideas, major plot points, and characters, and re-working them into something. I can see where they are going, so enjoying the ride so far.

If you just wanted the books turned to TV, I could see it being very frustrating to watch.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love this material and I am giving this show every benefit....but its pushing the limits.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Look I'm a visible minority and I like to think I'm liberal as well, but I just am sick of these character swaps that feel like they are just for racial/gender inclusion rather than helping the narrative properly.

Why do I feel like this show has two Michael Burnhams and both are also Mary Sues as the main characters?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #15
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the gender swaps matter, but it's sorta stupid because there are plenty of strong female characters coming up.

The backstory on Gaal was dumb and pointless though.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I don't think the gender swaps matter, but it's sorta stupid because there are plenty of strong female characters coming up.

The backstory on Gaal was dumb and pointless though.
Her whole backstory was a very handed "global warming bad! religion bad! science good!" allegory
Old 10-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #17
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a minority too and the whole "chosen one" trope is getting old. Like these characters are all just special and magically solve all their worlds problems because they just naturally have the skills to do it all. There isn't the struggle or character development anymore where they rise through struggle and grow to become an expert or hero... No, these characters can just magically do everything better than everyone else. This is the whole Rey/Michael Burnham magic crap that killed the story telling for both Star Trek and Star Wars.

And representation is one thing, I am all for it if it is done in equal proportions and isn't shoehorned in at the expense of the story and what not.... But can we stop having blanket gender swap or racially recast the entire main character set?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I am a minority too and the whole "chosen one" trope is getting old. Like these characters are all just special and magically solve all their worlds problems because they just naturally have the skills to do it all. There isn't the struggle or character development anymore where they rise through struggle and grow to become an expert or hero... No, these characters can just magically do everything better than everyone else. This is the whole Rey/Michael Burnham magic crap that killed the story telling for both Star Trek and Star Wars.

And representation is one thing, I am all for it if it is done in equal proportions and isn't shoehorned in at the expense of the story and what not.... But can we stop having blanket gender swap or racially recast the entire main character set?
Ordinarily I'd have agreed with you....but when I saw how they did it with Hannibal and it allowed Laurence Fishburne a greater role? I was more than okay with it!

But I get your point. Dont do it for the sake of doing it, make it have a point.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #19
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Casting and storytelling - meh
Worldbuilding and sets - wow

I wish other science fiction shows would try to have the ambition they have for this show. I mean they had large sets just for the transport ship to Terminus that shows up in 2 episodes and then they ended up crashing the thing and having an all-new colony set instead of repurposing it like most others shows would have done. Most of the sets have impressed me with the exception of the room they used a few times that just looked like an old university lecture room complete with all the university chairs.

Also, is it my imagination or are their land speeder vehicles the same one that was in the Han Solo movie?
Old 10-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #20
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do understand a gender swap, since most of the characters from the books are male. And race shouldn't really apply much, since it is so far in the future, over so many planets. So it doesn't bother me too much. But the single character solving everything, while everyone else makes incompetent mistakes is not something that I remember happening in the books.

One of the great things is that all sides were very skillful and strategic. Will see where it goes, but at least it looks nice.

Last edited by Fuzz; 10-19-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote