Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #21
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Going to the theatre is both a wonderful and horrible experience for me. Matinee on wednesday in a nearly empty, recently renovated (i.e. reclining seats with leg room) theatre? Yes.

Old theatre like westhills or chinook on a busy night? My personal hell. I'm 6'6, do you know how terrible it it to sit in an older theatre? Very. And for some reason I'm like a magnet for picking an aisle with some #### who has to go pee four times during the movie, and I have to stand up to let them in and out due to lack of leg room. Or a 'popcorn bag shaker'. Jesus christ, I think you've evenly distributed the flavour powder or butter or whatever the #### you're trying to do back there

yeah... anyway...I'm in!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:38 PM   #22
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Landmark has announced their subscription plan

Quote:
The lowest tier of Landmark Extras is Movie Fan, a free membership that collects points on each dollar spent on tickets and concession.

Members can then level up to Movie Insider, an annual $20 membership that comes with one free ticket each year and 50 per cent more points for admission and food and drink purchases.

Movie Club is the highest tier, priced at $9.99 per month. It offers members a free admission credit each month, discounted companion tickets and higher points and discounts at the concession
http://globalnews.ca/news/8101138/la...eward-program/
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:35 PM   #23
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I guess I was referring more to the operating margin. 96% sounds pretty sweet as a margin, but the operating margin is more relevant to a theater and if people understood that better I think they'd be less hostile/critical of concession prices.

Not backpedaling or disagreeing with you...I just think movie concession pricing needs to be viewed in terms of operating margin versus basic margin on individual concession items. I didn't explain my point well so your explanation is appreciated.
That's basically where I was.

I also doubt it's 96%, maybe on the Pop, unlikely but possible on the popcorn, not even close on the candys, nachos, hot dogs.....

That said on talking about how it's great business to run a theater concession, you need to consider the operating margin. Which in other comparable industries I have more knowledge of is closer to the mid/low 20 percentage range.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #24
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

So the fine print is up on https://www.cineplex.com/cineclub

From what I am reading, the monthly ticket included in the subscription price never expires, so if you don't use it in a month it rolls over forever as long as you keep up your subscription

Additional tickets cost $9.99 but you can only buy 2 per showtime (per account) and a maximum of 3 transactions per day. Looks like using a monthly ticket counts as a transaction.

There is a surcharge for 3D, 4DX, ULtraAVX, IMAX, DBOX, VIP, ScreenX. You will be charged the difference between a general admission ticket and whatever the price for upgrade is.

No commitment. cancel any time.

Looks like no limitations on showings except not valid for Cineplex Events, non feature films, special events or series.

Concession discounts don't include alcohol or any franchised restaurants operating in a Cineplex.

No discounts for kids or senior tickets.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-11-2021 at 11:41 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2021, 01:34 PM   #25
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
3D, ScreenX.
Oh god, I hate both of these formats so much for different reasons. Though I think that ScreenX is the worst of the pair. At least the 3D crazy is (finally) dying down.

Beyond that, the deal seems basically right up my alley. Sweet!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #26
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks like a good deal. I especially like the "never expires" part of the monthly ticket.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #27
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just signed up. I'll enjoy the good deal until the increase. Some good movies coming out for the next couple of months
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:44 PM   #28
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was obvious 96% was an estimate of gross margins (ie cost of goods only) primarily meant to illustrate that even if this discounts the tickets the key is getting people in the door to buy snacks, which is where they make their money.

Using actual numbers, I pulled an annual report from early 2018 (so pre-pandemic). Their margins for the concession business were 77%. That excludes rent and G&A (ie corporate management) but I think it does include direct labour costs (ie the concession clerk), although I'm not positive about that.

https://www.investorx.ca/Doc/AMWABVD...report-english

Since then their prices have gone way up (and the concession sales per patron is up like 50%) but some of that is stuff with lower percentage margins (liquor) but higher prices.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:11 PM   #29
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

The Landmark Program is available to be signed up for now:

https://www.landmarkcinemas.com/extras/
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:29 PM   #30
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I now have a decent setup at home in my basement with atmos speakers, but, I love going to the movies.

Now that the big titles are starting rolling out I will think about this, especially as Seaton is an easy drive for me