Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2021, 08:56 PM   #181
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think they were worried they wouldn't get him through waivers. And super-young Jeremy Swayman has already played NHL games, and looked pretty spectacular.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
So Swayman is their backup? Got it.

Give the Bruins credit for getting a 3rd rounder for someone that was going to hit waivers. Organizational depth is a beautiful thing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:57 PM   #182
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

Give the Bruins credit for getting a 3rd rounder for someone that was going to hit waivers. Organizational depth is a beautiful thing.
Only until Rask is healthy. It'll be Rask and Ullmark eventually through their season.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:59 PM   #183
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Lots of pundits were saying that Seattle might take him in the draft because he's a young promising goalie, or that the Bruins may give him the backup job as early as this season.

I suspect he's a depth signing for the organization, but it's possible he could be the back up as well.

He has to pass through waivers, so giving up a third and risking that would be odd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:59 PM   #184
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

If they wanted him to slide back down after Rask returns then, yeah, it would have required waivers and they most definitely would have lost him because he is good.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #185
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

You would hope that a Flames third could turn in to a Vladar eventually, and here you have the benefit of not having to develop and hope, skipping forward a few years

It seems that Stockton is a rocky place where the Flames goaltending seeds can find no purchase

Good to see the Flames capitalizing on a team that is blessed with so many, while others have so few
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:35 PM   #186
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
When you pick a guy in a draft, you hope he develops and turns into a contributor on your team. No different with acquiring Vladar, especially since he's still young.

This is the kind of trade you make with picks. I get the frustration with trading picks for rentals that play 15 games for you and then walk, but this is different. There is literally no difference between trading a pick for Vladar and using the pick to draft a Vladar.
Except the 4-5 years of development and wondering whether he will ever see the light of day in the NHL.

You’re right, this isn’t like trading a pick for an ageing vet to fill the roster, this is like trading a 3rd round pick for a 2nd. This is the kind of player you hope to get with your 2nd round pick.
Macindoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #187
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
This exactly the kind of player you spend picks on. Young and ready for a larger role. Vladar has been an under the radar player for a while simply because of the depth the Bruins had in net.

This was a wyly move by the Flames. Probably the best acquisition of the day. Actually I think it is. Coleman 2nd.
Agree 100%. I’ve always believed since predicting goalies is so difficult we should just stop drafting any. Use a pick to trade for one who’s had some development elsewhere and is showing significant growth towards being an NHL regular.

What’s the difference if you use a draft pick on a goalie or use a draft pick to trade for a goalie? The difference is you get a goalie farther down the line of development, reducing the risk that they never make the NHL.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #188
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
That’s what I said, all this would be fine if they are winning. They have not so it looks like he is selling the future for nothing
This guy is the future.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:56 AM   #189
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Is he my Flather?

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 07-29-2021 at 01:04 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 01:54 AM   #190
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

All this talk about bleeding picks.

Imagine a draft where we take Daniel Vlader and Nikita Zadorov in the 3rd round, and Tyler Pitlick in the 4th round. That's a home run of a draft. That's better than any later round success in any draft since Gaudreau and Brossoit in 2011.

More picks are good. Acquiring extra picks for outgoing players is great - do it as much as possible. But the reason you acquire picks is that it gives you more chances to acquire players that help the team. Well, the Flames turned 2 3rds and a 4th into 2 players that will help the team and a young goalie that has a really good chance of helping the team.

Sounds like a win IMO. But I know some fans think draft day is more important than the actual team on the ice.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:01 AM   #191
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your perspective on bleeding picks is flawed. The secret to using picks is making sure you get players with term. There is a huge difference between the three players recently grabbed with picks. Vlader has term on his contract, then becomes an RFA. We maintain control over the player for two contract cycles. Good use of a pick. Zadorov is an RFA, close to UFA. We get one contract cycle to control the player. If we get him under contract with term, then a good use of a pick. Pitlick is in the final year of his contract and then becomes a UFA. Unless we get an extension out of him, we only get a single season out that pick. Okay use for a 4th, but you still want to gain assets where you have longer term control over. Using picks to bring in players for a season or less is a bad use of picks IMO, especially when you’re in the free agent period and can grab similar players without impacting your asset base.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:23 AM   #192
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both views are right....and wrong. Using late round picks isn't a problem for trades but you should try to draft players that will eventually play that you can then trade for more picks. They need to use the picks to get guys like this because they don't have prospects to step into those roles because they've used their picks.

Trading picks is fine if it's for the right players at the right times. You do need to eventually recoup picks or your prosprct pool will be empty. If you're a contender or really close it's a good idea to trade picks. If you're a bubble team you get higher picks and you should keep the picks and hope you draft good players that help you in the future.

This team is a non playoff team trading picks in hopes of becoming a playoff team. Spinning their wheels unless something changes.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:32 AM   #193
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Imagine a draft where we take Daniel Vlader and Nikita Zadorov in the 3rd round, and Tyler Pitlick in the 4th round. That's a home run of a draft. That's better than any later round success in any draft since Gaudreau and Brossoit in 2011.

More picks are good. Acquiring extra picks for outgoing players is great - do it as much as possible. But the reason you acquire picks is that it gives you more chances to acquire players that help the team. Well, the Flames turned 2 3rds and a 4th into 2 players that will help the team and a young goalie that has a really good chance of helping the team.

Sounds like a win IMO. But I know some fans think draft day is more important than the actual team on the ice.
Some fans think free agency day is more important than the team on the ice? The question is whether you made good use of your picks. There were lots of goalies available at no acquisition cost so time will tell if this was a good deal.
Trading away picks is accepted practice and a reasonable part of an approach to building a team, but you give away upside when you do it.

As long as Treliving has been GM, this club has never had the depth in the organization to trade players for picks in the off-season. That’s unfortunate and not all his fault but a reality. The team has been bad enough some years that players could be dealt away at the deadline for picks but that hasn’t turned into enough organizational depth to keep a solid pipeline of players coming in. Which is why Flames are so reliant on dealing picks for players and signing UFA’s in the off-season. Hopefully the approach works better this year than in the past.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:43 AM   #194
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Literally a few days ago, I was reading articles talking about the future of Boston's goaltending and Swayman and Vladar were listed as the netminders of the future. Vladar is highly thought of in Boston and if it wasn't for waiver eligibility I'm sure he'd still be a Bruin.
Tre made a smart move here. I have no issue with moving a 3rd to snag this kid. I think he can contribute on Calgary right away if they need him to.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #195
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised they gave him up so easily with Halak going to the canucks and Rask being close to done.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:50 AM   #196
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I agree with you, minus Pitlick who is 29 and an UFA in a year. Although the odds are Pitlick will play more this season than whoever we would draft with said 4th anyways, definitely not something to get up in arms about.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:52 AM   #197
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This thread is hilarious.
We know the stats on a 3rd rounder.
We know this guy is a bonified prospect.

Unless we didn't have a need for a player in this spot, or Boston saw something that isn't obvious to all, imagine hating this trade.

People worrying about the cupboards being empty want to find a reason to slam BT on this. Its only a worry if this position isn't what the organization needs.

Last edited by Mull; 07-29-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:53 AM   #198
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you look at most teams draft histories outside of the first round picks most players selected never make the big roster.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:55 AM   #199
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Surprised they gave him up so easily with Halak going to the canucks and Rask being close to done.
From what I read after the fact, Boston had targeted Linus Ullmark as the veteran presence they wanted to bring in. Makes sense. Pair an upcoming youngster with a still developing but experienced netminder like Ullmark. Vladar was odd man out.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #200
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
A lot relates to the fact that he has to pass through waivers. They felt a 3rd round pick is better than nothing.

I think it's a great trade for Calgary.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote