Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #41
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one thing that concerns me when it comes to Markstrom is that he always gets hurt every year as teams ride him (at least the last consecutive years). Sutter says he likes to ride his starter too.

I am hoping that the Flames find a competent back-up, and his starts are better managed (i.e. not feel like you HAVE to ride him all the time!).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #42
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
The one thing that concerns me when it comes to Markstrom is that he always gets hurt every year as teams ride him (at least the last consecutive years). Sutter says he likes to ride his starter too.

I am hoping that the Flames find a competent back-up, and his starts are better managed (i.e. not feel like you HAVE to ride him all the time!).
Totally agree, but there is also a difference in riding your starter when he is seeing 20-25 shots a game vs. 35-40 shots a game. Markstrom was the latter that the start of the year for Calgary.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Turned out to be a 3rd and 6th in fact (Whynot and Beck).

This will give the Oilers a $1,916,667 cap hit until 2025. Add the Lucic salary retention to that, and it's more than $2.5 million in deal cap space.

And it only cost them a 3rd round pick to get that cap space. Shrewd move.
That’s not cap space - that’s cap hit (for 2 years, then they and the Flames are done with Lucic’s contract, leaving 2 more at $2M for just Neal).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:48 PM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

He didn’t get hurt from overuse last season though - it was a bad decision borne from a game that his teammates messed up (so he tried too hard for a puck).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #45
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Such a good player. I hope Van or LV signs a deal with him.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #46
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Wouldn’t he need to be on waivers already to be eligible for the first buyout window? Confused about the timing

Also surprised they were even close to a deal considering how bad Neal is

You can put him on waivers and buy him out on the same day... it's just that you don't get to pull back if someone claims him, and why would they save you and take on that cap hit (it a save Mary type a play anyhow) - so really there is no risk - the Oilers' were just waiting to see if they could get a trade worked out, and the trade would be a retained salary deal - with other assets or picks going with Neal, so that's why someone would do it - not for Neal.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:01 PM   #47
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The successful teams (AKA The ones that cheat: CHI, LA, TB) would just find a way to get Neal on LTIR. No one is gonna to sign Neal. His NHL career is done with this buy out, so he might as well LTIRetire
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #48
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post

Now the Edmonton media is claiming this was the plan all along - I still remember when they were bragging that they won this trade... I'm so glad we got a third round pick from this trade.
In fairness, I think Neal's buyout structure was indeed more appealing to the Oilers than Lucic's.

But I personally think buyouts are gross.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #49
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Totally agree, but there is also a difference in riding your starter when he is seeing 20-25 shots a game vs. 35-40 shots a game. Markstrom was the latter that the start of the year for Calgary.
There's also a difference in how some goalies deal with these different loads. Some goalies look like superstars facing 40 shots a game and sieves facing 20.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #50
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I had to do it all over, knowing what I know now. I'd still sign Neal, just so I could trade him to the Oilers again.
as bad as that signing was, the trade for Lucic and two draft picks worked out pretty well for the Flames. Lets hope both draft picks turn out to be total sleepers and haunt the oilers for years.
suck it Oilers.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #51
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a possibility that in 4 years one of the draft picks will be playing for us and they will just be in the final year of the buyout cap hit.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #52
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Yeah, it was a pretty bad defensive first half of the year. Not only way too many shots, but way too many high quality shots. Not to mention the opposing forwards were able to spend more time in the blue paint than they ever should have.

Will have to see a team in front of Marky focused on actually competing to be able to see how this contract will actually play out.
GhostCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:58 PM   #53
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

When are buy-outs announced?

Nevermind.... Googled it myself.

July 27 at 5:00 p.m. ET

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 07-26-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #54
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Wasn't there something though if someone was going to be bought it out it had to be done tomorrow, so it meant they had to be put on waivers today?

Was Neal put on waivers? Or was he not so they're either not buying him out or messed this up?
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #55
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Is there an actual article on this or is this all purely speculation?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #56
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
If I had to do it all over, knowing what I know now. I'd still sign Neal, just so I could trade him to the Oilers again.
as bad as that signing was, the trade for Lucic and two draft picks worked out pretty well for the Flames. Lets hope both draft picks turn out to be total sleepers and haunt the oilers for years.
suck it Oilers.
Lol is this you Treliving?

The whole fiasco is a total failure, no matter how you spin it

There are lots of better options than spending 5.75M on Lucic
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #57
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
^ Wasn't there something though if someone was going to be bought it out it had to be done tomorrow, so it meant they had to be put on waivers today?

Was Neal put on waivers? Or was he not so they're either not buying him out or messed this up?
I think we go through this every year and I always forget what the rules are. I believe because they're buying the player out, they only need to put him on waivers on the day of the buyout deadline. Even though he won't have cleared waivers yet when the deadline passes, they can still notify the league that the player will no longer be their property as of noon ET on Wednesday.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #58
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly don't think I've ever disliked a player more than James Neal. And that says a lot when we've had to endure years of Burrows, Kesler, and Bieksa. Not to mention every player that has ever suited up for the Oilers. But there I stand. #### James Neal and his stupid mouthful of dentures.
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:15 PM   #59
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I think we go through this every year and I always forget what the rules are. I believe because they're buying the player out, they only need to put him on waivers on the day of the buyout deadline. Even though he won't have cleared waivers yet when the deadline passes, they can still notify the league that the player will no longer be their property as of noon ET on Wednesday.
Also if a player on the team elects for arbitration I think it opens an additional buy-out window later on in the summer.

So if a team wanted to wait and see how their cap situation is later in the summer they just need a player to select arbitration. I think it'd be easy to get a borderline player to do that just by offering a one way deal or a generous AHL salary.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #60
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lucic is expensive, paid more than he's worth, but hell, he's still a player. I like him. I'm a big Lucic fan.

I thought this deal sucked %1000 when it happened, but Neal fell of the Earth and Lucic kicked some ass.
Lucic was probably our most consistent forward last season. Only one who showed up every game.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post: