Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #1061
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
^^ they’ve also vacationed together. Eichel mentions it in a Spittin Chiclets episode
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #1062
VictoryJuice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Some people on this board are absolute debbie downer lunatics. We just had an American player sign in Calgary in Coleman. This is the NHL, these guys have an unreal quality of life…. Not a lot of them are going to care where they play during the season. All have nice summer homes on a lake somewhere anyways.
VictoryJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #1063
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anyone cares, Buddy Robinson signed with Anaheim today
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #1064
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Hmmm. I'll agree last season was a write off. But I'm not sold this is a playoff team yet. There's simply far too many question marks about this roster that have yet to be answered.

And it's simply too early into the offseason to make such proclamations as we don't know what else Treliv8ng has up his sleeve.

I still think this roster is going to look significantly more different come training camp compared to today.
The Pacific this year...

Vegas
Edmonton
Vancouver
Seattle
Los Angeles
San Jose
Anaheim

Where do you think the Flames will slot into that list of garbage?

Even though we lost Gio, we probably still have the 2nd best D core in the division. Markstrom is as good as anyone else in the division (biggest risk for the team is a lengthy injury to Markstom).

The forward group was awful last year, but, to a man, they should have better years. And the additions of Coleman and Pitlick make the middle 6 (and by extension, the 4th line too) better.

I challenge anyone to list 4 teams that they are confident will finish ahead of the Flames. The only team better than the Flames is Vegas.

IMO, the Flames will finish 2nd or 3rd. Finishing 4th would be under-performing.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #1065
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Good, I hope he makes their team. Seems like a good guy and can contribute, at least for spot duty.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #1066
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
That has to take them out on Eichel.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #1067
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Eichel doesn't want to be here thing is just dumb.

I think the Coronavirus and the lockdowns have made people forget about simple social interactions and how they work.

I'd be shocked if Treliving didn't ask Adams "Hey, I'm interested in Eichel, do you think he'd be ok coming here, can you ask him?" Adams can't really lie about it, because if he does, it's a small club they work in and it will get out, he's got a career and a reputation to think about.

Also, Eichel or the agent would have made it be known already. Treliving has probably talked to every agent in the game. Without tampering, I'm sure Eichel's agent could have suggested something.

Plus, as others have said, players talk to each other and players talk to their GMs. Treliving supposedly talks to all his players in player acquisitions. It's very likely he has spoken to Hanifin and Gaudreau about Eichel. It's a simple text that these guys have to send to Jack "Hey, it'd be cool if we could play together sometime in the near future". Eichel can simply text back "Haha, no way, not in Calgary bud!".

Maybe Eichel has already said he doesn't want to come to Calgary. In which case, the reason we don't hear Calgary as a frontrunner is probably for that reason and we are all just wasting our time speculating. But I'm sure that, one way or another, Treliving knows whether Eichel would be ok to play in Calgary. He won't trade those assets if Eichel is going to hold out or be disgruntled.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #1068
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

What player has ever held out on their contract for an acquiring team in the NHL? Old guys retiring instead of playing don't count. RFAs don't count. Undrafted players like Lindros don't count. has it ever been done?

Damian Liliard was rumored considering sitting out on his current team next season to force a trade. He publicly went out and said people are dumb, athletes don't usually think like that- and also who in their right mind would risk as much money as he would to do so?

This same situation applies to Eichel. We're talking 10s of millions. Eichel isn't going to hold out playing unless the situation is health related and the team isnt helping him or jerking him around.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #1069
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
What player has ever held out on their contract for an acquiring team in the NHL? Old guys retiring instead of playing don't count. RFAs don't count. Undrafted players like Lindros don't count. has it ever been done?

Damian Liliard was rumored considering sitting out on his current team next season to force a trade. He publicly went out and said people are dumb, athletes don't usually think like that- and also who in their right mind would risk as much money as he would to do so?

This same situation applies to Eichel. We're talking 10s of millions. Eichel isn't going to hold out playing unless the situation is health related and the team isnt helping him or jerking him around.
I think our Associate Coach did it! Kirk Muller was traded to the Islanders and refused to report.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #1070
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do think Calgary is a legit destination for Eichel...but I'd be surprised if ownership/Tre are willing to give up that many assets to get him
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:52 PM   #1071
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think our Associate Coach did it! Kirk Muller was traded to the Islanders and refused to report.
Ok 1984, and Muller was not giving up 10s of millions.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 12:55 PM   #1072
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just want smoke on the Eichel front.

A nugget of info to get us excited and our rivals nervous.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 12:59 PM   #1073
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I do think Calgary is a legit destination for Eichel...but I'd be surprised if ownership/Tre are willing to give up that many assets to get him
Treliving has to be on his last coach, and Sutter isn't here to re-build

If there was ever a time for Treliving to swing for the fences and go all in, it's now
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 12:59 PM   #1074
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Then look at it from Eichel's point of view. I don't think he's going to care overly about the team he's going to under a few conditions:
- they want him, and the team has a good reputation respecting player's and their health decisions
- there are players in the same age range as him on the team for competitive windows
- his contract structure can fit the team while remaining competitive

then he probably has a few extra wants:
- some player familiarity
- nice place to live (maybe american preference comes in here.)

but at this point Eichel has stayed loyal to BUFFALO of all cities until the health decision soiled the relationship. As a competitive guy (well documented) I don't think he wants his reputation or future potential legend to be too tarnished by all of this. Money wise, his contract already has him set for life.

I think Calgary largely fits these criteria.
For sure.
I wasn't arguing that he wouldn't want to be in Calgary.
I was just pointing out that any GM who would be acquiring Eichel would want to make sure he was happy to play in their city, even though Eichel is contractually obligated to play for whoever owns his rights.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:03 PM   #1075
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure why so many people around here are down on this city.

Not everyone wants to live in New York or Las Vegas. I know for most Canadians, Florida and California are paradise, but for most Americans, both of those places are the butt end of most jokes.

I think Calgary is legitimately a better city than a good number of American cities in the NHL.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:11 PM   #1076
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

Not everyone wants to live in New York or Las Vegas. I know for most Canadians, Florida and California are paradise, but for most Americans, both of those places are the butt end of most jokes.

I think Calgary is legitimately a better city than a good number of American cities in the NHL.
Agreed. I imagine just many players prefer nature and mountains as players that prefer hot sandy beaches.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #1077
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They were talking about it on the FAN yesterday and it is the 5-6th smallest metro market in the league.

I think the city played a huge role in getting Coleman to sign but that is part of the problem. Calgary is a great place for families so players with kids seem to be very willing to sign here. Great city to live in, safe, clean, friendly but for 20 something millionaires I can see why many other cities are more attractive.

Small city, fishbowl market, freezing cold winter, brutal travel are reasons this is not a city hockey players want to be.

I will say I do think Calgary is a tier above Edmonton, Winnipeg when it comes to UFA destinations
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #1078
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it depends on age, family circumstances, etc. There's a reason San Jose attracts a lot of vets who are settling down, while Vegas and NYC attract the young guys.

I also think, unlike some posters, that income tax plays a role - it can be significant over the life of a contract. I know there's ways to level it, but I also don't think players or even a lot of agents are savvy that way. Frankly, Treliving should recruit Murray Edwards to talk to some of these guys about sheltering.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #1079
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

if the cost to acquire Eichel is too high maybe we can shift our focus to Dahlin instead?
if the Sabres are having a fire sale then it can't hurt to ask.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #1080
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
They were talking about it on the FAN yesterday and it is the 5-6th smallest metro market in the league.

I think the city played a huge role in getting Coleman to sign but that is part of the problem. Calgary is a great place for families so players with kids seem to be very willing to sign here. Great city to live in, safe, clean, friendly but for 20 something millionaires I can see why many other cities are more attractive.

Small city, fishbowl market, freezing cold winter, brutal travel are reasons this is not a city hockey players want to be.

I will say I do think Calgary is a tier above Edmonton, Winnipeg when it comes to UFA destinations
The mountains are for sure a thing, and it's athletes we're talking about, who over-index on the outdoor activities in abundance in the Banff/Canmore area.

For younger guys looking for the downtown city vibe, Calgary loses a little, but the rockies are undoubtedly a factor.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post: