Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #161
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raptors have their training camp roster set. It's kinda intriguing, with 12 signed players, 2 two-way deals, and six non-guaranteed deals fighting for 3 roster spots (roster limit is 15 on the main roster plus 2 two-ways).

One of those non-guaranteed is Yuta, who seems like a lock, so it might be five fighting for two spots: Gillespie, Bonga, Dekker, Wainwright, and newly signed Reggie Perry.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #162
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

First preseason game tonight! Embiid and Simmons out for Philly, Siakam, Boucher, Birch and GTJ out for Toronto. Should be a lot of playing time for Barnes plus the guys fighting for a roster spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 05:44 PM   #163
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a good feeling that there is going to be a surprise in the preseason, and a bench player making a real push for a starter spot. This is such a star-driven league, but Toronto seems like a place where opportunity would be given to excel even if they don't have the biggest contract.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #164
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm already hyped for what Barnes and Watanabe could do this year.

This team is so long
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #165
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's only the first half of the first preseason game, but I do feel confident in saying Scottie Barnes is gonna be better than LeBron and MJ combined.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:56 PM   #166
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I know it's only the first half of the first preseason game, but I do feel confident in saying Scottie Barnes is gonna be better than LeBron and MJ combined.

What's the story? I'm missing it unfortunately.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #167
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's playing like a guy ready to impact the game now, on both ends, and not a guy who needs development.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:33 PM   #168
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

Sometimes when you combine two things they cancel each other out...
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:27 AM   #169
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this game reaction. I didn't get to see the game, so it's a nice breakdown.

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2021...7-raptors-123/
Old 10-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #170
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Yuta's got a spot locked up, which means Gillespie, Bonga, Dekker, Wainwright and Perry fighting for two spots. They're obviously trying to give Gillespie the opportunity to make a case for himself, so it's probably frustrating for the organization that he's just not showing the same level he was late last season. He needs to at the very least find a way to stay in games without fouling (to be fair I thought at least one of the foul calls last night was awful). I liked Bonga in his few minutes last night, and I think he's worth holding onto if the Raptors can afford the roster spot, though he doesn't fill a need.

Boucher's out 3-4 weeks, which means he'll miss the beginning of the season, so at this point it seems most likely Barnes will start the season a PF.

Last edited by octothorp; 10-06-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #171
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a side note just got an alert about 18 players from yesteryear who got charged in what seems like an insurance fraud scheme. Some of those players were ex-Raptors it seems.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:10 PM   #172
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

This preseason game 4th quarter is looking like a college game disaster. Bad panicked shots, selfish do it all plays. The bench has to play as a group much better rather than ballhogging.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:18 PM   #173
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have to say, it's great that the NBA cut down on the cheap lean in fouls. The players are still looking for it, but it's not being called and it's amazing. It completely ruined the integrity of the game, and I'm so happy that those "fouls" are being ignored. They should go a step further and fine guys doing it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #174
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I also have to say, it's great that the NBA cut down on the cheap lean in fouls. The players are still looking for it, but it's not being called and it's amazing. It completely ruined the integrity of the game, and I'm so happy that those "fouls" are being ignored. They should go a step further and fine guys doing it.
I don't understand why the NBA allowed those fouls for years and years? It didn't make sense 10 or 20 years ago.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #175
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I don't understand why the NBA allowed those fouls for years and years? It didn't make sense 10 or 20 years ago.

It was insufferable for years. I can't remember if it in fact existed 10 or 20 years ago, but I do know Curry started the exaggeration, and for the past couple years Trae Young has taken it to another level. I think the development of it for the past 5 years has allowed a new generation to play with that strategy in mind. It'll be very interesting to see if the rookies can adjust as it's not a part of their toolbox.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:37 PM   #176
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scottie Barnes is a gonna be a star.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:42 PM   #177
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Scottie Barnes is a gonna be a star.

He does seem like a young Kawhi. A little more mobile, a little less of a shot. It may be a sexy comparison, but Kawhi really benefited from good coaching and developing himself. It may be stretch that he becomes a good shooter, but he seems to have a few tricks as a ball distributor and defender, and he plays both at various points. I like what I'm seeing so far as it's a solid start (albeit not a great scorer, which was expected).
Old 10-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #178
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Barnes is really exciting, his playmaking ability seems legit. His career trajectory is all going to come down to his ability to add scoring to his game.

OG looks ready to take another step up, and Achuiwa looks like we may have found another gem. We might struggle to score at times this year, but it should be fun to watch.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #179
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I definitely see the Kawhi comparisons on defense and in transition. It would be amazing if he could develop Kawhi's isolation game as well, but Kawhi had just an insane, almost unprecedented (certainly within the time I've been watching basketball) development curve in his iso game.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #180
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raptors handing it to Houston, but you'd only know that from the score. Many layups missed when the opposing defence collapses, and a ton of selfish run up shots. Many people with bench type skills, where these guys really have to show soon that they have all around skill to be in the lineup. Teams are collapsing and giving them the mid or 3 range shots, and they're not hitting when they're open shots. I think it's going to be a rough year based on the lack of all around skill.