Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 06:32 PM   #1901
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The crazy thing is, some people seem to want to acquire Eichel because they think he'll fail and the team will crash and burn. It seems they'd rather have a perpetually horrible team, like Buffalo or Arizona, than an average one.
I find it equally crazy that some folks can’t see the logic in this. Mediocrity is the absolute worst case scenario if you ask me.

Last edited by howard_the_duck; 07-31-2021 at 06:40 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 06:33 PM   #1902
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by really? View Post
He doesn't have to fail for the Flames to not win the cup, but if a heavy cost is paid to obtain Jack Eichel it will be hard to argue the cost was worth it. The Stars won with Nieuwendyk, but if they didn't I sure bet fans would have looked at the cost being Iginla in a far different light. It's the chance you take.
No, it will not. Not necessarily. The chances that any team will win a Stanley Cup are miniscule, and while it should always be the goal it should not be the expectation. If Eichel comes to Calgary, plays great, and they win a bunch of playoff games and rounds even if they don't win a Cup in that time this trade would still be a huge success.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #1903
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegas paid a lot for Stone, and no cup yet. Worth it?
Old 07-31-2021, 06:41 PM   #1904
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He's their captain and best player? Do you think they'd be better off with Brannstrom?

I don't understand what's being argued here

If the Flames get Eichel that's fun and exciting. If they don't, oh well I still like this team and expect at least one big change to happen before the season starts

Not directed at you GioforPM, but some people here don't seem to have any fun at all being a sports fan
Old 07-31-2021, 06:45 PM   #1905
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

####ing do it Brad! imagine a Mcdavid Eichel fight in a battle of alberta playoff omg
Old 07-31-2021, 06:47 PM   #1906
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope the Flames get Eichel but I'm not going to be upset if they don't. I like the players they have brought in this offseason and think the biggest change will be Sutter having a full camp to implement his own system and have the team playing his pace all season long.

People get so down on the Flames (understandably) that they kind of forget the first half of last season with Music and Beach Ball soccer at practice under Ward. What kind of competitive group practices like that?
Old 07-31-2021, 06:51 PM   #1907
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a Flames fan and a Broncos fan

Peyton Manning missed an entire season with a severe neck injury and it was unsure if he'd ever be able to throw the ball the same. His injury was significantly worse than Eichels from my limited knowledge (he needed at least 4 surgeries)

Manning was a Colt at the time and when he was ready to return they had replaced him with #1 pick Andrew Luck and Manning was being dealt. All the Broncos needed was a decent QB and they would be a contender, and luckily for me the Broncos managed be the team to get Manning

There was no guarantee Manning would ever be as good as he was before the surgery, but he managed to have some of the best seasons of his career, broke records and won a Super Bowl in Denver

I know it's not a 1:1 comparison, but sometimes when you think your team is close you have to get the final piece to the puzzle and take a risk. A #1 centre becoming available is what the Flames have needed for decades, if they can land Eichel it's going to be one of the most exciting and fun Flames moments since '04
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 06:52 PM   #1908
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
He's their captain and best player? Do you think they'd be better off with Brannstrom?

If the Flames get Eichel that's fun and exciting. If they don't, oh well I still like this team and expect at least one big change to happen before the season starts

Not directed at you GioforPM, but some people here don't seem to have any fun at all being a sports fan
You are arguing my point. I doubt Vegas regrets that deal. Calgary gets Eichel and has success but doesn’t win a cup, I’m Ok with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 06:54 PM   #1909
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
I find it equally crazy that some folks can’t see the logic in this. Mediocrity is the absolute worst case scenario if you ask me.
Buffalo wants futures. So no, the worst case scenario is if Eichel doesn't work out pretty close to exactly what we hope, we suck now and can't rebuild any time soon.

Edit: I'm on the fence about it right now BTW.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:56 PM   #1910
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You are arguing my point. I doubt Vegas regrets that deal. Calgary gets Eichel and has success but doesn’t win a cup, I’m Ok with that.
Sorry, I thought you were arguing that they regret the Stone deal

You're right, best case is they eventually win it all but I'd still be happy with a winning culture and a competitive team
Old 07-31-2021, 06:59 PM   #1911
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Buffalo wants futures. So no, the worst case scenario is if Eichel doesn't work out pretty close to exactly what we hope, we suck now and can't rebuild any time soon.

Ottawa looked like they couldn't have done a worse job of rebuilding/re-tooling, and even traded away a lottery pick for Duchene. They've quickly turned it around and look like they've built a solid core even with all the mistakes they made
Old 07-31-2021, 07:04 PM   #1912
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post

I am guessing you did not read the post to which GioforPM was responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 07:06 PM   #1913
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not arguing with GioforPM, just looking at it another way.

Lightning paid two first round picks for 4 total years of Coleman and Goodrow.

I’m not saying the Flames will win the cup with Eichel but if you want to contend, it’s going to cost a lot.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:07 PM   #1914
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post

Lottery protection should do the trick. But I think the rebuild would be outside of the next 3 year window, as much as I love these next couple of drafts.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:07 PM   #1915
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I, for one, hope the flames trade for eichel. Another layer to the BoA and get to see a talented player play way more than I normally would.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 07:10 PM   #1916
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well there we have it, Oilers fans want this to go down so it must be a good idea!
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 07:17 PM   #1917
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Stone is maybe not a good example but I bet they regret the Pacioretty deal. Suzuki would have helped the Knights a lot more, I think.

Pacioretty is not Eichel though, both because Eichel is more productive and younger.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:35 PM   #1918
CroCop
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Based on what, exactly?

These attempts to quantify the probability are so annoying because they are totally arbitrary and not at all informative. Here is an equally valid assertion...

Chances the Flames aquire Eichel... 99.9%

How believable is either of these?

Uh Ok... it was kind of joke.

But joking aside it’s based on the reasoning that the Flames couldn’t offer the kind of package other “reported “ teams could.
Especially if the Flames package is centered around Monahan.
That would be just a pipe dream. Realistically anything that would interest Buffalo starts with Tkachuk and probably includes Mang + 1st among others
Old 07-31-2021, 07:38 PM   #1919
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It isn't a question of what other teams can offer, it is a question of what they will offer. And from what has been rumoured so far, the Flames can definitely offer as much or more than the current rumours.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:39 PM   #1920
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
Uh Ok... it was kind of joke.

But joking aside it’s based on the reasoning that the Flames couldn’t offer the kind of package other “reported “ teams could.
Especially if the Flames package is centered around Monahan.
That would be just a pipe dream. Realistically anything that would interest Buffalo starts with Tkachuk and probably includes Mang + 1st among others
Buffalo’s focus is supposedly picks and prospects. The player is just to even out salary and fill a roster spot.
Closed Thread